Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

All I can say is AMAZING!
DADZSUN
Supporter

September vacation update #1

Post by DADZSUN »

As promised updates will be coming more frequently over the next month or two.

It's pretty exciting to be back working on the 635. I've had a nice summer break and am recharged. Also cool is my oldest son has decided to dive right into the 280z project (now that he's suddenly decided it's now magically his), so both cars are progressing at a decent clip (I'll post more Z pics when I get a chance).

WorkToDo.jpg
WorkToDo.jpg (268.13 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Here's pretty much how it started the month. I recently reinstalled the motor/tranny and was very pleased how all the mounts beautifully lined up. It really was a 5 minute affair.

ToDo.jpg
ToDo.jpg (221.93 KiB) Viewed 173 times

By not means is that a comprehensive list of things to do, more like what I'm hoping to accomplish this month.

SpeedHutGauges.jpg
SpeedHutGauges.jpg (362.9 KiB) Viewed 173 times

The plan is to address the interior stuff inside the house at night. Gauges are an easy item to include in that list. Yes, the stock cluster is fragile...

FuelTank.jpg
FuelTank.jpg (239.27 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I epoxyied the outside of the tank where I welded, the used POR Fuel Tank pain inside. There was ZERO staging for this pic...

ClutchPocket.jpg
ClutchPocket.jpg (127.53 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I wanted a little more depth to the clutch throw and realised there's enough room between the cab and grafted G35 tower.

ClutchThrow.jpg
ClutchThrow.jpg (141.87 KiB) Viewed 173 times

I tacked a bit of metal around the pedal and will double check clearance next week before closing it in.

Bushings.jpg
Bushings.jpg (379.21 KiB) Viewed 173 times

This is my current task. Literally every bushing in the front & rear will be swapped out. I don't have a hydraulic press but something makes me think I will soon.

2020-MIG-STICK-202-min.png
2020-MIG-STICK-202-min.png (123.77 KiB) Viewed 173 times

Speaking of new equipment, after 5 or so years, and a TON of hours, my Lincoln Weld Pak 140HD crapped out. Perfectly, shitty timing of course. Hence the tank and bushing tasks while I wait for my new welder and installation of a proper 230V 40A circuit. I went with the Canaweld MIG 202. It's supporting local and the reviews have been very favorable. The welder has since arrived and despite not yet using it, it does appears to be quite a bit more professional/heavy duty setup compared to previous welder. I did seriously contemplate a multiprocessor MIG/TIG welder but the past few months I've decided that time to explore new projects/endeavors/skills is severely limited and I need to simplify.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabes, STI R180 w/CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - 2021 Datsun Restomods R&D project
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
Edm620

Re: Project 635 - 300HP RWD 620

Post by Edm620 »

Speaking of your old Lincoln welder, I'm curious what settings you found favorable when welding the thin (sometimes porous) sheetmetal.
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"
Ugandan Proverb