Turbo HL510

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
philip1

Turbo HL510

Post by philip1 »

I have an HL 510 I have swapped the stock Z20 for a Z22 I am planning to turbocharge it and blow through the carb.
Below is a photoshop of it lowered.

I have been told someone here has experience with blow through carburation.
Last edited by philip1 on 13 Mar 2009 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Piecing together a turbo Z22s 1981 HL510
Phil
I have the last of the Dimes
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: new member with an hl 510

Post by bertvorgon »

I have a blow through carb installation...through a Weber 32/36...if I can be of any help???
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I met Philip this weekend, nice guy.

Is that a Conquest in the background? I have a good friend that is looking for one, want to sell it?
philip1

Post by philip1 »

that is a conquest but it lives where the car does Washington state.

Keith I would love any and all the advice and help you are willing to offer... BTW I just picked up a 32/36 dgav for this thing after looking at all the vacuum lines on the stocker.
Phil
philip1

Post by philip1 »

Keith if you make it down for the next Canby event I might have it there We will see how things go.
Phil
philip1

Post by philip1 »

I guess I'll start with my plans and we will see how feasible they are...
First I should describe the car it's a 1981 HL 510 when new it had a z20s and an automatic. I kept the automatic but swapped the seized z20 for a low milage Z22 and that's where the power train sits.

My plans for this car include autocross and street use. power wise I don't care as long as it is under the safe limits of the stock cast pistons. I have been thinking about this for a bit and I think I won't dwell on any HP numbers but focus on boost numbers.
Boost....I would love to set up a normally open solenoid to bypass a boost adjuster preset to the safe limit. This setup would allow a nice low boost for street use and a big power hit for racing.
Fuel... I have been reading Hugh Maclnnes Turbochargers and think perhaps a boost compensation mod on the stock big truck fuel pump might work (thoughts?)
Ignition... the Z22 comes with a dual vacuum advance can I am thinking it might be able to handle boost retard with no mods.
Cooling...I also think a meth injection system would be a good idea, something boost triggered. I also am planning to intercool ,its a cross flow head it begs for it (plus I already bought one).

These are my ideas feel free to shoot holes in them.
Phil
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning,

I ran my cast pistons for some years, boost and octane (heat) being the limiting factors for how much abuse they will tolerate, over time.

If you are planning to use the Weber 32/62, in a blow through application,, you will need to use a pressure regulator with boost compensation on it for sure, fuel must stay 3.5 PSI ahead of boost. Fuel pump MUST have good volume also, as do supply lines. You will need to run a return line to the tank, with a restriction in it. Start now to track down a NITROFIL float for the Weber! It came on the 5200 series carb used on Pinto's, Capris, etc, licenced to Ford. This will not collapse under boost.

I modded my stock vacuum advance to be boost retarded, and, re worked the advance curve.

Methanol injection as a supplemental charge cooling is good, as is a good size oil cooler and better radiator. My system is self pressurizing, using a Hobbs switch for triggering it.

IF>>>you are going to do a blow through, you will need a box built for the carb to be sealed into. If you are going to do a suck through, that has it's own set of parameters to be delt with.

Stay small with your turbo choice, as you will have a much more drivable and resposive car overall.

Plan for a wastegate and compressor blow off valve also. You should be able to find a nice blow off at the wreckers, off a Talon, they are more than adequate for our needs.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

If you are starting from scratch, and are just looking for a low boost application - how about going with a KA motor right from the start? You have a fuel injected platform to start with which will require few mods when running below 8 psi boost, and you have the option of very reasonably priced upgrade equipment like forged pistons and stronger rods in the future if you want to upgrade.
Coming form a guy who's now building a turbo L series car - its costs big $$$. If I wasn't able to perform most of the fabrication myself, it just wouldn't be affordable - and I've already converted the car to EFI. If I were starting from scratch and didn't have the resources that I do, it may go a different way for sure.

Just a thought, don't mean to steer you around. Nice to see a few A510's around. Your particular model was delivered in Canada with a Z22E motor; it's interesting that yours had a Z20. Keep us posted on your progress.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
philip1

Post by philip1 »

Byron510 wrote:If you are starting from scratch, and are just looking for a low boost application - how about going with a KA motor right from the start? You have a fuel injected platform to start with which will require few mods when running below 8 psi boost, and you have the option of very reasonably priced upgrade equipment like forged pistons and stronger rods in the future if you want to upgrade.
Coming form a guy who's now building a turbo L series car - its costs big $$$. If I wasn't able to perform most of the fabrication myself, it just wouldn't be affordable - and I've already converted the car to EFI. If I were starting from scratch and didn't have the resources that I do, it may go a different way for sure.

Just a thought, don't mean to steer you around. Nice to see a few A510's around. Your particular model was delivered in Canada with a Z22E motor; it's interesting that yours had a Z20. Keep us posted on your progress.

Byron
Mine has had a z22 swapped in just before I put it in storage. I am a fabricator by trade so nothing is out of my realm of abilities. I've done EFI and that adds a whole extra level of complication to an already complex equation. I am planning a BLOW through system and I have a webber I also have a stock carb (sealed and has a nitrophyl float).
Phil
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Byron I can't find any reference to a Z22 used in the '81 HL. Not saying.... just can't find it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
philip1

Post by philip1 »

In the US the HL510a10 was delivered with a 90hp Z20s with the option of an automatic or a 4 speed manual. My hl510 has a Z22 from a 720 4x4 rated at 102hp add 6psi of boost and I could imagine 250hp would be possible.
Phil
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

philip1 wrote:In the US the HL510a10 was delivered with a 90hp Z20s with the option of an automatic or a 4 speed manual. My hl510 has a Z22 from a 720 4x4 rated at 102hp add 6psi of boost and I could imagine 250hp would be possible.
How is 6psi adding 150HP? Conveniently, that's also 150% increase in power.

I don't see how that's possible. Light-boost KAs add ~60HP and they have a better-flowing head and more displacement to work with.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
philip1

Post by philip1 »

okayfine wrote:
philip1 wrote:In the US the HL510a10 was delivered with a 90hp Z20s with the option of an automatic or a 4 speed manual. My hl510 has a Z22 from a 720 4x4 rated at 102hp add 6psi of boost and I could imagine 250hp would be possible.
How is 6psi adding 150HP? Conveniently, that's also 150% increase in power.

I don't see how that's possible. Light-boost KAs add ~60HP and they have a better-flowing head and more displacement to work with.
sorry 6psi on the street and about 150hp 12 psi for 250hp and the track
Phil
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

There was also an optional FS5W63 dogleg 5spd available on the 4 dr. hatchback. Not the 2dr. go figure.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
philip1

Post by philip1 »

Well I think I'll stick with the auto (bad knee) Autos are a load sensitive device as are turbochargers both also are torque multipliers. I like torque..... I'm also planning to go with the tallest gears I can find. this will optimize milage while encouraging the turbo to spool more in tune with the transmission.
Phil