New member 1976 710

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
OS Datsun

New member 1976 710

Post by OS Datsun »

Just picked this car the other day... It's in amazing survivor condition.

Plan to keep it fairly stock but I was considering sawpping out the auto trans for a 4 or 5 speed manual and throw a new head, cam and some new weber's on the old L20B after giving it a once over.

Any advice on the transmission swap would be greatly appreciated... I'm also looking for some era correct wheels to throw on this car, preferably a set with a nice deep dish! :twisted:

"economy, reliability and sheer value"
okayfine
Supporter

Re: New member 1976 710

Post by okayfine »

OS Datsun wrote:Any advice on the transmission swap would be greatly appreciated...
5-speed, definitely. No reason to go to all the work to swap over to a manual tranny and stick with 4 forward gears.

There have been a couple good transmission posts in the 510 General or Technical forums. Look for posts by datzenmike, he's encyclopedic in his transmission variant knowledge.

Finding a manual pedal box may likely be your most difficult issue, however.

Aside from wheels, I'd try to track down some non-US bumpers. US regs in the '70s did car appearance no favors.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
OS Datsun

Post by OS Datsun »

okayfine wrote:
OS Datsun wrote:Any advice on the transmission swap would be greatly appreciated...
Aside from wheels, I'd try to track down some non-US bumpers. US regs in the '70s did car appearance no favors.
Thanks okayfine,
I was actually considering removing the bumpers and running a Kamei front airdam on it... Anybody got any advice on how to get the suspension sitting right. I was thinking I might cage it and put in some adjustable camber plates and some coilovers.

I want to run a LSD and I don't know to much about these stock Datsun rear ends... So I was also looking for some advice on this subject? Anyone :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

OS Datsun wrote:Anybody got any advice on how to get the suspension sitting right. I wss thinking I might cage it and put in some adjustable camber plates and some adjustable coilovers.
You'll have to refresh me on 710 suspension. I'll assume the front is substantially similar to the 510, but I'm not sure at what point Nissan switched to live rear axles. I'll assume they still have the 510-esque rear suspension setup.

If so, much of what works for 510s can work for 710s. Certainly coilovers up front are a generic fit with only the rate to specify. The rears require the correct rear spring rate to match, and usually you're going to be cutting a spring from a different manufacturer. Dodge D50 front springs are popular to use in the rear of 510s if you're aiming at ~150 in/lb wheel rate. So, it depends on what rates you are looking at.

There's a huge 510 Suspension Settings thread in the 510 forums above.

Camber plates, IMO, are a chunk of money for something you're unlikely to ever adjust once set. You can slot your strut towers to get your .5-ish negative camber. As you have a 710, it's possible you have the offset strut insulators, which were a 710 fix for positive camber due to required ride height. With those and slotted towers, you should have all the adjustment you need without any added NVH. But this is assuming you want a DD and not a race car.
OS Datsun wrote:I want to run a LSD and I don't know to much about these stock Datsun rear ends... So I was also looking for some advice on this subject? Anyone :D
All the 510 info also applies, if not exactly. Some reading:

http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/Subaru.htm

For additional reading you might want to pick up the "How To Keep Your Datsun Alive" book as the best service manual reference, and the variety of "How To Modify" or "How To Rebuild" Nissan books for tons of information on period modifications.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

It looks like you're in BC?

Theres a 710 in green with the same body style like yours in a local junk depot, its very clean except that the PO converted the hatch to a dump box for firewood... everything from the hatch hinge forward is mint, fenders, front bumper etc.

If you need ann=ything for your car, let me know... i've been looking for an excuse to go make friends with the crack dealer that owns it.

Merlin
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
OS Datsun

Post by OS Datsun »

merlin wrote:It looks like you're in BC?

Theres a 710 in green with the same body style like yours in a local junk depot, its very clean except that the PO converted the hatch to a dump box for firewood... everything from the hatch hinge forward is mint, fenders, front bumper etc.

If you need ann=ything for your car, let me know... i've been looking for an excuse to go make friends with the crack dealer that owns it.

Merlin
If it's a 4 spd. car I coud definately use the pedal assembly and some other parts...

I'm in Victoria but I make it over to the mainland once in a while. Thanks for the offer merlin... I'd hate for you to have to befriend some sort of wood mongering crackhead though. :twisted:
OS Datsun

Post by OS Datsun »

Factory radio delete... :D
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Now THAT is one fine car. Love the looks. There's a 76 California 'goon near me in similar shape. (sigh)

The '76 standard and automatic 710s had an H-165-B axle with 3.70 ratio, so not the same as the 510/610. Leaf springs are easy to lower or stiffen to suit the ride you want.

As for the front here's that California one near me. It does have the adjustable camber plates.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

There is no easy way to change from an automatic to a standard unless you have a parts car beside your house with all the pieces needed for the swap. You will need:
Clutch and brake pedal assy... may also need the gas pedal as well.
Clutch master cylinder. You can make your own hard line.
Slave cylinder and push rod... may come on the replacement tranny.
Clutch actuating fork, rubber boot , spring clips and release bearing housing or collar.
A 6 bolt L or Z series flywheel and a clutch to match. Cars with L20Bs have a 200mm flywheel and clutch assy, L20B trucks and 280z and zx are 225mm and 720 truck 4X4 and all Z24 motors use 240mm. Any size will do for an L20B in a light car. You don't have to use a car 200mm flywheel.
A $3 pilot bushing for the flywheel end of the crankshaft.
extras shifter lever and boot.

4 Speed :
The '76 710 F4W63L 4spd. closely resembles the F4W63 4spd. used in the 510 and is identical to the '79-'80 HLA10 4 spd. So these are your choices for a 4 spd. But as stated, if you are going to the bother you really should consider a 5spd.

5 Speed :
The FS5W63A dogleg 5spd. Love them or hate them, they are an OK tranny that's just strong enough for the L20B and is popular mostly because fits perfectly into the 510. The dog leg was standard equipment on the '77-'79 200sx and a rare option on the '79-'80 HLA10 so it is not very common and the ones around are old and picked over. The dog leg tranny is the same length as the 710 automatic and has the same gears as the 510 sedan, but with a 14.6% over drive 5th gear. Some modifications for the shifter hole and hydraulic line making and bending will need to be done, but you would have to for a 4 or 5 spd. anyway.

Option:
There is another 5 spd that can be used on the L20B motor that is stronger, more plentiful and has a wide selection or gear and over drive gears. This is the FS5W71B used on the '77-'79 620 and '80 720 truck, (with two gear set choices) the '77-'79 290z/zx, (one gear set) the '80-'83 280zx non turbo, (two gear set choices) and the '78-'84 810/Maxima. You will have to do all the work above to convert to standard, plus modify the rear tranny mount further back and shorten the driveshaft. The shifter hole will be a few inches further back than the dog leg, but you have to make a new hole anyway so not a big deal. As stated, this tranny came in a wider variety of vehicles so there are more of them, multiple gear and over drive options and was strong enough to be used with the larger 280zx inline six cylinder. The FS5W71B was also used with the Z, SD and CA series engines, so if an L series front case is swapped onto one of those trannys, there are even more available.

If i had it I would like to try my L4N71B 4spd auto and a 3.889 rear end from a 200sx in it. Cake and eat it too!

Once again that is one fine car. Look after it.
Last edited by datzenmike on 17 Apr 2009 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
OS Datsun

Post by OS Datsun »

datzenmike wrote:Now THAT is one fine car. Love the looks. There's a 76 California 'goon near me in similar shape. (sigh)

The '76 standard and automatic 710s had an H-165-B axle with 3.70 ratio, so not the same as the 510/610. Leaf springs are easy to lower or stiffen to suit the ride you want.

As for the front here's that California one near me. It does have the adjustable camber plates.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

There is no easy way to change from an automatic to a standard unless you have a parts car beside your house with all the pieces needed for the swap. You will need:
Clutch and brake pedal assy... may also need the gas pedal as well.
Clutch master cylinder. You can make your own hard line.
Slave cylinder and push rod... may come on the replacement tranny.
Clutch actuating fork, rubber boot , spring clips and release bearing housing or collar.
A 6 bolt L or Z series flywheel and a clutch to match. Cars with L20Bs have a 200mm flywheel and clutch assy, L20B trucks and 280z and zx are 225mm and 720 truck 4X4 and all Z24 motors use 240mm. Any size will do for an L20B in a light car. You don't have to use a car 200mm flywheel.
A $3 pilot bushing for the flywheel end of the crankshaft.
extras shifter lever and boot.

4 Speed :
The '76 710 F4W63L 4spd. closely resembles the F4W63 4spd. used in the 510 and is identical to the '79-'80 HLA10 4 spd. So these are your choices for a 4 spd. But as stated, if you are going to the bother you really should consider a 5spd.

5 Speed :
The FS5W63A dogleg 5spd. Love them or hate them, they are an OK tranny that's just strong enough for the L20B and is popular mostly because fits perfectly into the 510. The dog leg was standard equipment on the '77-'79 200sx and a rare option on the '79-'80 HLA10 so it is not very common and the ones around are old and picked over. The dog leg tranny is the same length as the 710 automatic and has the same gears as the 510 sedan, but with a 14.6% over drive 5th gear. Some modifications for the shifter hole and hydraulic line making and bending will need to be done, but you would have to for a 4 or 5 spd. anyway. The dog leg was standard equipment on the '77-'79 200sx and a rare option on the '79-'80 HLA10 so it is not very common and the ones around are old and picked over.

Option:
There is another 5 spd that can be used on the L20B motor that is stronger, more plentiful and has a wide selection or gear and over drive gears. This is the FS5W71B used on the '77-'79 620 and '80 720 truck, (with two gear set choices) the '77-'79 290z/zx, (one gear set) the '80-'83 280zx non turbo, (two gear set choices) and the '78-'84 810/Maxima. You will have to do all the work above to convert to standard, plus modify the rear tranny mount further back and shorten the driveshaft. The shifter hole will be a few inches further back than the dog leg, but you have to make a new hole anyway so not a big deal. As stated, this tranny came in a wider variety of vehicles so there are more of them, multiple gear and over drive options and was strong enough to be used with the larger 280zx inline six cylinder. The FS5W71B was also used with the Z, SD and CA series engines, so if an L series front case is swapped onto one of those trannys, there are even more available.

If i had it I would like to try my L4N71B 4spd auto and a 3.889 rear end from a 200sx in it. Cake and eat it too!

Once again that is one fine car. Look after it.
Thanks datzenmike,
Now at least now I have an idea of where to start. I appreciate the advice. I figure I'll try and remove the drivetrain to start... Then concentrate on getting the body work and suspension sorted out. Should be a fairly lengthy process. :?
OS Datsun

Post by OS Datsun »

That's about the height I'd like my car to ride at... Does anyone know where I could find some fender flares that might fit this car?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

They loook just like the BRE fender flares for the 510.
I make the 510 ones, I guess if you wanted to adapt the flares off... I'm in the Vancouver BC area.

But your car is so nice; sure you want to cut it up?
I have a flared 510, but to be honest if I were starting with a clean, strait body today - I wouldn't flare it. Just my opinion. The racy look is cool, but it does have its draw backs, unless you plan to go full out with your car. The old Bob Sharp photos you posted are pretty inspiring, I must say – just like the BRE one are for us 510 guys, but your car is so clean, it would almost be a shame in a way. The B210 ones of that era are pretty cool as well.

Keep us posted, we'd all love to follow your car's build or ideas.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
OS Datsun

Post by OS Datsun »

Thanks Byron,
I agree that it would be a shame to cut the fenders and quarters. We'll see how it looks when I get some wheels mounted... :wink:
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

i'll chime in like most will ,and agree with Byron.

Don't cut up this clean car!
What body work is required? I can't see the whole car, but I can't see anything that requires attention yet.
If anything, maybeee see if the ZG bolt on flares will fit.

Stick with the easy game plan, especially with summer here.
Throw a set of tires and wheel on it, and just drive it!
I'm sure Jason has a set of 14" mags to spare. :twisted:
But the later Dattos all have bigger fenderwells than the 510, so some 15" stuff should be easy to fit too.

Even with the auto - it ain't so bad!
Wait until the winter for the transmission swap, and keep this survivor just that - a classy survivor!
It's what's all the cool (californian) kids are doing - stock original body/paint, engine swaps and fancy wheels.
It will be worth more that way too. Tasteful bolt ons will make it more appealing down the road to a potential buyer or ICBC.
And there is always the idea of collector plates, being from BC! Who can argue with uber-cheap insurance...

example, but a 610...
more:
http://tinyurl.com/y9jcn4
http://tinyurl.com/yafzj5
http://tinyurl.com/yjabcf
http://tinyurl.com/yhwjyu
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
domicol710

Post by domicol710 »

Congrats for your find!!! I did try to buy it a couple years ago but living around Ottawa area

it was pretty expensive :shock: get it down here :(
But i still regret it!!! Anyways ,I own a 710 too 1977 sedan red JUST LIKE THAT !!
I'll send you a picture when i get a chance.