521 pickup voltage regulator swap

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Slideways

521 pickup voltage regulator swap

Post by Slideways » 18 Dec 2009 12:33

How do I convert 6 wires to 4 wires in a regulator swap?!? Truck runs great but won't charge the battery. Apparently I didn't get the wiring right when I put in this after-market voltage regulator. It's a 71/72 datsun 521 pickup with the L16 in it. I've searched and searched the net for a week straight now, come up with barely any ideas, and no solution. Any help or ideas that you fine people may have would be HIGHLY appreciated!

okayfine
Supporter

Re: 521 pickup voltage regulator swap

Post by okayfine » 18 Dec 2009 12:44

You shouldn't have to convert or rewire anything. Voltage regulator is external and should be plug 'n play. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, maybe give us some more detail. FWIW, 510 voltage regualtors are 6-wire. Are 521 voltage regualtors 4 wires?

If that's the case, you might have to get friendly with a couple wiring diagrams.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: 521 pickup voltage regulator swap

Post by datzenmike » 18 Dec 2009 13:22

The 521 regulator terminal wires are these colors:

E... Black
N... Yellow
F... White/Black stripe
A... White
Ig... Black/White stripe* NOTE: the 510 Ig. Is White/Blue stripe?
L... White/Red stripe

The harness plug may have changed over the years.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs