My island '74 710

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
hang_510
Supporter

Re: My island '74 710

Post by hang_510 »

:idea: does this mean you have a ride to canby???
datzenmike wrote:my wife suggested lime green and black colors.

Looks great on someone else but red isn't for me.
your wife has good taste in colors... :mrgreen:
the goon will be the stock 'green' w/black

red is for hair! :wink:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

ford Europe has two of the most rocking colours internet pics don't do them justice...

the first one is called Squeeze.. its a green pearl over an metallic yellow.. goes every color from lime green to lemon yellow in the light.
http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Fiesta/Coloursandtrims

Tango does the smae thing for Orange/yellow..
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Just to catch up... On a tip from MikeY (many thanks Mike) I found a clutch and brake pedal and some 'extras' including a replacement red side marker, trunk lock, grill badge and stock wipers.

Well I now have the her elevated and wheels off and stored.

Still has the spring to hold the flex hoses up!

...and the angled pads.

H-165-B rear end. Check the exhaust

Pedals, do they look like 510s??

Found out I have an elephant oil cap!!!

Finally accessed the trunk. It all looks like this.

Has this name on the resonator and muffler. Front down pipe has factory heat shields still on it and only one clamp ahead of the muffler, everything else is welded. If this is the factory exhaust is it possible it's 35 years old??? Could be a dealer replacement part? Odometer shows 23,138 miles so it's either right, or 123,138.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

datzenmike wrote: Odometer shows 23,138 miles so it's either right, or 123,138.
Take a photo of the original stock brake pedal pad - it usually tells the truth. If it's corners are worn down - it'll have 123K, if it looks near new, likely it's only 23K - which would be cool. Post a pic!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Pics of the pedal(s) would be good.
A CSI thing 8)
:lol:
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Sorry Byron, lost track. Got some mud in it. I don't know... what do you think? I couldn't tell you what 123K would look like. What do you think Doug?

Also has these original looking mufflers. Or could they be replacement dealer ones???

Last edited by datzenmike on 04 Jan 2010 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Doesn't look to be very worn eh Byron?
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Or maybe the PO didn't like to brake much... :lol:

What else could you look at?

I'm also awaiting a packet of papers with some documents. Maybe there are some repairs with mileages recorded.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

The records would be the best way to tell Mike, that's how I confirmed that the '68 I bought was a 57K original car ....
Jason
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

jason wrote:Doesn't look to be very worn eh Byron?
The pic is cut off on the side that matters, but you are right it doesn't look very worn.
Usually by 100K, the gas pedal side is worn off pretty close to the bottom of the grooves in the rubber - especially on a lazy boy, slushomatic equipped car. It could very well be original miles on the car. Service is the other key things to look for. Most mechanics leave behind tell tale signs that they've been at the car. No offence to all mechanics - there are good ones. But like most trades, quality mechanics are hard to come by. As a machinist, I have seen the same in my field, no different than I've witnessed the same qualities across the board.

Byron
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The Realm tends to trim pictures. Just click 'view picture' and it will open a new window with the full picture. I'll try for a better picture tonight. That one had dirt and is out of focus.

Jason, I loaded some tools in the car last night and will go see the 200sx after work for the axles.
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Hard to tell from the pic....but it dosen't look noticably worn.
Mike.....how do I...."Just click 'view picture' and it will open a new window with the full picture"
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Awesome! Just as a thought there Mike, why not get the stock stuff working first and progress to upgrades as driving pleasure permits? I'm still looking for the carb kits, I buried them deep this time ....
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Doug I'm no 'puter wiz. I just right click on the picture and it should say

View Image
Copy Image
Copy Image Location

...and some more stuff...

left click on 'View Image' and the picture will go to full size.

Jason, yes!!! Must remember to not get ahead of myself there. In a way I'm trying to keep the interest and momentum up, learn all I can about this car, possible future upgrades including nabbing parts now and setting them aside for later so that "when the time is right I can respond". :lol: If the weather stays good I want to get all fluids, belts and hoses replaced so that there's less to worry about and can enjoy driving. Also to familiarize myself with it's workings. (I am a truck guy) I have every intention of going to Canby this year and want it reliable above all else. Body, brakes and suspension can wait. I'm going, warts and all.

Some progress parts collecting today. But first, Byron, I have a better brake pedal picture: (I cleaned it)

I also got the rear drum off and wow it's clean in there:

Parts collected: '81 200sx alternator LR-160 so 50-60 amp output. Will have to read up on the 510 swap to IR. An EI coil for a dizzy swap. Two rear axles with the disc brake bracket:

Looks like this when compared to the 710:

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

From that photo and angle of the pad, it sure doesn't look like much wear! You may have a really low mileage car. Look for other clues, but a car with 23K on the clock will show few signs of maintenance ever on any part of the car.
Byron