Byron scales it down a bit...

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Byron510

Byron scales it down a bit...

Post by Byron510 » 10 Mar 2010 23:46

So I have to confess - I've been holding out on you all!
I usually share most things 510 related. However just before having a little surgery about a month ago to halt the family growth and put a limit to RESP contributions - I splurged on this little gem.

I know I'm not the first to get one of these. I bought it locally from a young guy (who I swear can't be 20 years old) who owns and runs a little RC shop a couple km’s away from me here in New West called Team 1. I probably paid a bit more, but he has the knowledge I may need to fall back on, and the spare parts I’ll likely one day need - a worthwhile ally!

Anyway, I opened the box a month ago, and have just stared at it. All I did was put the bits in better zip lock bags, then put it all back. I read, and re-read the instructions, then put them back! I've built lots of race cars, buggies, off road trucks and done my fair share of fabrication and machining over the years. But I've never once assembled a model! In any scale or size. I played with trains as a kid (HO and N), but those came in a box, and maybe the odd one needed paint. So last night at about 7pm, after taking a trip to the hobby store and purchasing nearly $100 worth of "scale" tools, I opened the first bag of parts, commandeered the wife’s relatively new wood cutting board, and I then totally ignored everyone in my presence until 2am! Yep - it's cool.

I was so tired by the time I packed up for the morning, that I didn't take a photo of my progress. All I did in that time was assemble a couple of differentials (front LSD and an open rear??) and mounted them to the chassis with a driveshaft connecting them. But I'll tell ya, I'm really impressed with this stuff. It's very fun playing with this scale. Some things are a challenge, like installing E clips on shafts that are 1mm in diameter! Yep, my fat, tough of machinist fingers do struggle with this. Times and places I wished I had girl-y hands.

Just before shutting down to get a couple hours of sleep before heading off to work; I of course had to drop a bearing - measuring 4X1.5mm. I could hear it rolling across the floor - but damned if I could see it! Because I was working at the dining room table, and not having a clue in which direction the bushing rolled, I started the search. There are no “spare” parts in the kit! So I was on my hands and knees with a flashlight for 20 minutes – no dice. So I figure I just can’t see it against the linoleum floor. I proceed to move 6 chairs, a high chair, a booster seat (tell I’m a family guy!) a few piles of stored debris from the dining room, and there I am sweeping the floor in hopes of finding this bronze bush –nope. So, where could it roll? It did roll for a while, I could hear that. So I started in the kitchen, moved the mat in front of the sink and swept that floor as well. No bushing, but the wife was quite thrilled I was taking interest in cleaning the house for a change… grrrrr! I put the kitchen and dining room back together, pack up and call it a night. The good news was my wife found the bushing this morning in the laundry room! That means that little bushing crossed three rooms turned two 90 degree corners and found a nice home away from home. If the bushings handle this good, I can’t wait to try the car assembled!

Anyways, I will update this thread as I go, but here's how the night started.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

S15DET
Supporter

Re: Byron scales it down a bit...

Post by S15DET » 11 Mar 2010 04:24

Good write-up, nice handling bushings there.

muck
Supporter

Post by muck » 11 Mar 2010 07:17

Been wanting to pickup one of these kits for awhile now.
I'll be following along on your progress with interest!!
'67 1600 Roadster
'68 4-door 510

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 11 Mar 2010 13:07

S15DET wrote:Good write-up, nice handling bushings there.
I laugh now, but I wasn’t so cheerful at 2am when I was searching :D My wife ended that little saga well by finding the thing in the laundry.
muck wrote:Been wanting to pickup one of these kits for awhile now.
I'll be following along on your progress with interest!!
I'll post as work gets done, but this is a really "life filler" project. It's likely going to take a while to complete. I can't do to many night's till 2am - I need at least 6 hours sleep to competently do my job.. or maybe it's my age :roll:
I will post as progress get done. Maybe I'll even tackle my other models when I'm done - I have a rather large collection in boxes that I've been afraid to go near!

Byron

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 11 Mar 2010 23:12

Well, here’s how day one ended; I was pretty prod of the diffs assembled, preloaded. I doesn’t look like much, but there’s over 4 hours of work in that little thing so far….

The front diff and the rear LCA mount (goldish colour)…

The rear diff carrier…

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 11 Mar 2010 23:27

Well, tonight was suspension night, well at least I got started.
Another 2 hours into the project = 6 so far.
I started on the rear LCA’s. There is a steel pin that the LCA pivots on, and it rests in poly bushings at either end. The ball joint I’m pointing to is steel – screwed into the plastic LCA.

There are actually many different grades of plastic in the threes of parts, it really is interesting to see the various uses, but it all makes sense so far. The poly parts in the foreground below;

I liked the pressed in Ball joints for the spindle uprights. Also note the bronze bushes in the rear steer system behind the diff. there are actually 4 sintered bronze bushings here that the steering rotates on.

The front UCA’s added, as was a second layer to the chassis between the differentials to help stiffen the chassis as a whole.Same pressed in steel ball joints in the UCA’s. You can also see the pivot pins in the UCA’s – there’s even a tiny set screw (tiny even for this model) to stop the UCA pivot pin from rotating in the upper front X member to eliminate unwanted suspension movement that would affect the steering gear!

The rear suspension upper links are now installed, along with the chassis mount for the rear coil-overs. Note how you can even adjust the rear camber on the upper rear suspension link.

The chassis at the end of day 2:

butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 » 19 Jul 2010 18:05

does it run yet byron,any action shots yet :P
ding ding dong dong all night long long.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 20 Jul 2010 15:54

Well, I just haven't got down tot he hobby shop to by the controls yet!
The chassis is fully assembled, and I was hoping to have the body pained by now...
I'll keep the thread tuned in as I proceed.

Byron

James

Post by James » 21 Jul 2010 07:25

Reading your story about the escaping bushing brought back memories of the first time I rebuilt a Hitachi Carb. I learned quickly that a clean workspace is important. I have also gotten used to having a felt type pad on my workbench which helps to hold small parts still. I've often thought of getting an apron that ties into the bench so anything that falls ends up caught rather than hitting the floor, and bouncing or rolling way farther away than you would ever think to look...Now I am jealous of three of your cars.... :D
Finished is better than perfect......

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 21 Jul 2010 08:40

Byron510 wrote:Well, I just haven't got down tot he hobby shop to by the controls yet!
The chassis is fully assembled, and I was hoping to have the body pained by now...
I'll keep the thread tuned in as I proceed.
Another 510 project stalled :roll:

:lol: :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 21 Jul 2010 09:37

im waiting till he has to sell it, 1/2 finished, because of another kid is on the way... :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 21 Jul 2010 23:40

hang_510 wrote:I’m waiting till he has to sell it, 1/2 finished, because of another kid is on the way... :twisted:
I'm not going to say that it would be impossible - but lets just say that it is very highly unlikely since the pluming change :!:
It'll get done. The real stall is that I haven't found a good Bronze colour to match my car in the correct flexible paint, this is the true stalling point :|

It'll get done, no worries there.

hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 » 22 Jul 2010 11:34

Byron510 wrote: since the pluming change :!:
you can change your colors all you want! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

doesnt testors sell a nissan meatllic orange??? maybe a little addition of another metallic to get close???
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.

Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut » 18 Sep 2010 17:23

That looks like quite an interesting project you've got there.

Would be great to see it in action :)
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 18 Sep 2010 20:54

You're telling me!

The box hasn't seen any action for 6 months!
I wanted it done for this weekend’s show here in Vancouver, but alas - time has not permitted this.

Next year... maybe! :D

Byron