oil filter choice's

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
butters68
Supporter

oil filter choice's

Post by butters68 »

so in the last few day i have seen some post's nocking fram oil filters, so if they are junk what would be a better choice? :? :P
Last edited by butters68 on 15 Aug 2010 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
S15DET
Supporter

Re: oil filter choice's

Post by S15DET »

Some interesting stuff here...
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilte ... study.html

In general, I've always heard anecdotally to avoid Fram because they are the bottom-line offering by the manufacturer (Allied Signal) in terms of flow as well as filtering ability. I've always thought that the various brands made by WIX are good, but maybe because that plant is local and I want to think that they make a good product.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Wix are supposed to still be good. No NOT use any from Can Tire. They used to be made by Fram but are now made even cheaper in China!!! You may still find the Motor-master filters with the red and black lettering on the shelf, the 'newer' Chinese made ones look the same but no red lettering. Cover eyes and run from store.

Fram used to be the best if not great. But it's been bought and sold many times and got cheaper and cheaper quality to make more profit. They are living on reputation only.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Practically anything is better. Walmart Supertec (made by WIX still?), Bosch, Mobile1, etc. Even at a price difference of $5 more per filter for a good filter, that's only a $333US investment in your motor over 200,000 miles @ 3,000 mile change intervals.
I'm your huckleberry.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

WIX 51515 (easy to remember if you drive a 510).
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

I remember pulling a new Fram oil filter out of the box about 8 years ago... the top corner of the filter had been sheared off by the stamping machine- it looked like something you'd use a a display to show the innards of your filter...

the fact that it made it past quality control should tell you a little about Fram.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

defdes wrote:WIX 51515 (easy to remember if you drive a 510).
Yup and its a huge mucking filter too. I use it on my L24 and L28s.... Purolator is another good one as well....
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The Napa ones are Wix as well - if you compare the weight to a Fram - it's about double. I was put onto these by Specialty 10 years ago, and it's all I use on my cars.
I had a fried who worked at one of these quick change lube places – they crush their filters to save space in the garbage – he cut a bunch a part, for the hell of it on company time over a few months just to compare. There is literally half as much filter element in a Fram. Basically, it’ll just plug up and by pass the filter all together – great for the motors life expencancy. Also when he crushed the filters, he could get comparable Fram filters about half the size of a Wix, Kralinator or Purolator filter…..says something about what it’s made of.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
FlyingO

Post by FlyingO »

What is wrong with a Genuine Nissan filter? About the same price as most aftermarket filters and very high quality, plus it was made for your engine.
dscn0894jpg
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

FlyingO wrote:What is wrong with a Genuine Nissan filter? About the same price as most aftermarket filters and very high quality, plus it was made for your engine.
Very good point, and well taken.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Steven the parts guy at Nissan told me that Napa had the same filters that Nissan uses. He had to use them when Nissan closed its doors for a year or two here in Chilliwack.

Chad
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just noticed this post. I'm with Byron, NAPA is all I use. Specialty cut up many of the filters years ago, and the NAPA ones came out the best.
I've got 569,000 KM on my GTS...478,000 on the original motor, and now the new motor. It was a valve that burned, the bottom end still looked good. Good oil, good filter, change regularly, drive like hell.

I now have 9 years on the Datsun motor, not many hours, but, they have been GOOD ones!

Even my silly old Ford Aerostar, with 450+ thousand KM, still hardly uses any oil....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer