My Island 710 Goon!

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: My Island 710 Goon!

Post by datzenmike »

You can't hurry these things Jason. :lol: :lol:

She want's a Chrysler black cherry paint for it. It should be a close match, a sort of dark dark maroon with a slight red metallic highlight. I'm having the trunk lid emblem holes filled and the GM remote control mirrors removed and the holes filled too. I have the original driver's side but the pass side was a cheesy Crap Tire thing. I noticed the parts goon has what I think is a pass side match to the original, so will put that one on to make it more original.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Heck no Mike! It's just that since Mrs D sorta took possesion of the 'ole 710 before you had much of a chance eh! You know, speaking about mirrors, Jeff got me a set of cheap mirrors from JC Penny, they actually look pretty close the the original '68 mirror that was on a original '68 that I saw. Pretty cheap too ...
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I think the goon pass side matches the sedan driver's side but I get pics of it and see. Oh BTW...

While at the shop we ran into one of the previous owners of my '76 goon!!!! He had been drinking and I said we'd get together and I would write this all down with some dates/years. Anyway he says the car is from Nevada, not California, and was towed up and left here by a couple from there so they would have a car here when vacationing. His daughter/wife knew them form where she worked and when they wanted to sell it she let him know about it. He had it for a number of years and gave/sold it to the guy I met over a year ago who passed away. His wife sold it to me last summer. So he says that I am owner number four for sure. I will of course get a more detailed account as this is only from my poor memory of last night.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Pretty cool finding out car history stuff Mike! This must be costing you a pretty penny for the bodywork ....
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Mrs.d says she has it covered. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm staying out of it.

I do like his shop and the work so far and will definitely go there if and when I paint the goon.

As for the provenance, I'll sit down with this guy and get a more detailed account.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Heh, Mrs D has caught the bug Mike, now you're in trouble! What's next on the to get list ;-)?
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Nice try! but I'm laying low. :D

The body guy has some ideas for bumpers and is going to look around some of his old suppliers. He's restored a few vintage cars. Maybe we can find something and cut it down?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Damn Mike I didn't know you owned CARS!!! I thought only trucks! Cool thread :)

P.S. Get VW inserts and slam that 4 door :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Aww c'mon, I know where this sweet B210 is hiding!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

icehouse wrote:Damn Mike I didn't know you owned CARS!!! I thought only trucks! Cool thread :)

P.S. Get VW inserts and slam that 4 door :)

Ha-ha-ha-ha Wolfman, I have a '76 710 goon too. I'm working on lowering it. Also a '77 parts goon, so maybe the struts from it suitably shortened will find their way into the sedan.

Jason you have a B-210???
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Not I Mike, but, I know where a nice one is at ;-)!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Do not tell me that Jason. I need some separation from any more cars. :wink:
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Come a little closer and I'll whisper it into your ear Mike ;-)! Mrs D will never figure what hit her, besides, her ride is being splurged on eh!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Well a while back rich (polski ogorki) from up island above Campbell River offered me some rims for my goon and I sure didn't say no. So today he dropped by to deliver them and I got my son to come over and help carry my old L20B from the back yard and put it in his truck.

This poor engine was removed about 2 1/2 years ago from my 620 when it gained about a thousand pounds a 4.11rear end and 33s. It just didn't have the umph to climb hills, push into a head wind and pass on the highway. It was replaced with a Z24. This has been the most reliable motor, having driven it for about 15 years and across Canada and back at least 6 times. Starts on the first bump. Has never left me anywhere. In all those years I only changed the oil and filter and the head gasket about 3 months before I took it out. Faithful and reliable, I but it in the back yard with the air filter on tight and plastic bagged it. I couldn't throw it away.

Hopefully it will find it's way into rich's 510 this summer. Thanks rich for giving her a chance at a new life. And thank you for those rims. I'll post some oics when it's light out. I took rich and Mrs. d over to the shop to see the '74 progress. The Corvette was a priority so nothing to report on the 710 except that the paint is in for it. By the time we got back it was dark but I got a picture of his '74 620 with two L motors in it.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

My son came over yesterday with his battery saws all and we made quick work of the lower spring mounts on the Maxima struts. Less than a min each. The gland nut has to come off before I can slide them off.

Trimmed just above the weld...

Separated...

I have to remove the caliper/rotor and hub then remove the gland nut and disassemble the strut 'guts'. Not sure if it has a replaceable cartridge or can be fully taken apart. If it comes apart I may try a different viscosity motorcycle fork oil to increase the damping effect.

The strut tube will then have the weld ground off and coil overs fitted. I got a whole set front and rears (thanks lou for the tip) locally for the sedan but they will now be going on the goon fronts.

Two are 400P and two are 500P... WTF does 400P mean?