My Island 710 Goon!

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: My Island 710 Goon!

Post by datzenmike »

Upon reflection I think the tail is several inches too high, certainly over two inches higher than the 4 speed so I had a piece of metal pressed and am going to cut the rear mount and put a drop in it.

Because of tranny shape I'm offsetting it to the pass side a cm.

I have the X mount in a jig so it stays aligned during and after the cutting. Metal plate fitted.

I took the piece that was removed, trimmed it and welded it in place.

With everything test fit I did a final welding of everything and a couple of holes so I could get at and tighten the mount.

My original install used the Xmount reversed 180 but I found that there are two sets of mounting bolt holes on the frame. Short tranny 4 speeds use the front holes while the longer automatic use the rear holes. Just moving the mount back allows me to keep and use the added clearance on the driver's side for the exhaust pipe. Nice.

Here you can see the clean forward mount holes

The shifter now sits well down in the hole like the 4 speed, about 2 1/2" lower now.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

A few false starts and a little unexpected luck and I have new pads and rotors installed. Cleaned out the hubs and replaced the grease.

Lowered the car off the stands and it sits like this...

Yeah that's not me. The zx rims and tires are too wide. I managed to compress the cut 710 springs about 2? inches and lock the split collars and now it sits...

Chafes on turns so will swap these with the 200sx rims on the sedan that Jason gave me. Image

These should 'tuck' better until I get the ride height settled and make sure that it won't rub when bottoming. The zx rims will fit the sedan because it sits so damn high as it is.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Nice going Mike!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Just got a call from the body guy. The sedan has two coats of primer on it. I want the 200sx mags so will be taking the zx ones up shortly and will take pictures.

Put the carpets back in and relocated the console back about an inch. Need some naugahyde to make a shift boot cover.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

datzenmike wrote:

Front looks awesome in that pic! Gotta come down so we can give the fenders a roll! Drop the back and she will be perfect :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

lolz, knew you'd say that. Seriously, it's resting on the tire in that picture. I guess if it had 1/4" and 800 lb spring rate it wouldn't bottom out. I worked it out and the cut 710 spring in it now is only 150. If I can run it without scrubbing I will but I also don't want it too stiff for my old bones too ya know?

I swapped the 200sx mags on...

Here's the sedan...

Tons of room.

I hear lou got another 510. :roll: :lol:
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yep, nice 4 door with a vinyl roof !
Jason
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

jason wrote:Yep, nice 4 door with a vinyl roof !

Painted on vinyl roof :shock: :?
So 80's :twisted: :mrgreen:
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Okay Mike maybe you are right..... So maybe some narrower tires and then roll the fenders :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
indy510

Post by indy510 »

710 fenders are tricky to roll ...... . .obvously that piece of plastic has to go .......... . . . . I used a cut-off wheel, and made a relief cut just inside the fender lip

... .. . then used a hammer to bend the inner fender lip without messing up the outer lip .... . . deeper relief cut bends easier...... .. and 510 metal seems thinner
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

noooooo I can't cut my car! I want natural.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Having big trouble bleeding the brakes. Seems to be nothing coming out of the 3/4" master. Swapped in my parts car master and there's front but no back flow from the outlets. Tried my 7/8" S110 master and the piston goes in and sticks. Took apart and loosened it/cleaned it and still no go.

Installed a 15/16" zx master and the fronts are bled, or seem to be. Haven't done the backs but they weren't removed. Did take for a drive carefully down the block and the brakes suck! Will bleed the backs and check the fronts again.

Tranny full (about 2 1/3 pint) of synthetic.

BTW the shifter throw is intensely shorter than before the tailshaft swap. This is the same tranny I had in my truck and the difference is amazing. Clickety click! The old 4 speed ratios are very close to the early zx ratios so no change in take off. Clutch peddle seems fine so to recap, I'm using the 710 pressure plate and slave on an FS5W71B (actually a '79 zx) 5 speed including the clutch arm.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

datzenmike wrote:.........

Shifter does seem high but at the same time it fits the hole. The cover and console only need to be moved back less than 2"

The shifter has a goose neck shape at bottom and can be fitted 180 around to move the shifter ball further from the driver if you want. (I tried it further forward and could easily shift 1-2 and still hold the wheel but will go with the closer placement for now)

Very close, very short shift. Not at all like the '79 tailstock when in the truck. I like it!
This is a great mod when you are swaping the ZX tranny into another Datsun. The shifter from the 720 Datsun IIRC has the goose neck on it. The shifter is huge but it's two sections held together with a rubber isolator. Just a matter of placing it in a vice and twisting it till the rubber lets go. Chop the top off and well a bolt to the top and you can screw your original shift knob back in. Worked great when I threw a ZX tranny into my '72 240Z as the original shifter was too far forward.

You can even recycle the shifter from the pickup like I did in my S130...
Stereo 2 small.jpg
Stereo 2 small.jpg (107.89 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
Liking the build thread - especially the fir spring compressor ;)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

That's my urban catapult.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Bleeding the brakes is problematic. Was given a 280zx master to try. Pushed in with a wooden dowel. There was a tight spot and the piston didn't want to come back out. I hit it on the back with a block of wood and shook it loose. Bled it, but peddle goes down half way before there is any resistance. Drove down the block and braking was not exciting. The tight spot may have torn the rubber cups inside. Ordered a rebuild kit from Nissan Tues went in to-day and they gave me a clutch master kit.... assholes. "No problem we'll order the right one right n... Oh, discontinued." Good-Bye. Found a kit at NAPA, maybe the last. In Tuesday and Canby is, what? 18 days off.

While waiting for parts, (more like a stressful count down) I changed the diff oil to synthetic. Yesterday I removed the thermostat housing to try and fix a sweet coolant smell. The previous owner had broken the rear short bolt off! I proceeded to break the front one. These boltd don't seize ti the head, rather the housing corrodes around the bolt shaft. I couldn't slide the housing off so I cut through the bolt to get it off.

The bolt stubs twisted out by hand.

One of the bolt holes that holds the thermostat cover/outlet pipe was stripped and thew PO just drilled through and used a nut and bolt. Another reason for replacing it. Check this...

Made my own gasket. The paper punch is the best $1 I ever spent.

While my dizzy was out to get at the thermostat housing I swapped in a matchbox unit I got last fall. Oh, what a surprise! One of the hold down bolts on the base is broken off.

Try as I might, and with heat, it still would not loosen and snapped off even shorter.

Drilled it out and was lucky to get it out.

Cleaned the dirt and oil off the EI so the module has good air flow for cooling.

Grabbed the coil from my junk pile and wired it in I cut the start wire and used only the run or ON wire from the ballast resister to supply the EI module. (red tape) The coil mounting strap fit perfectly the two stock mounting holes.

I used the stock wire that went to the points on one terminal and the +12 on the other. (red tape) I will get a proper two wire plug and black tape this to make it look better.

I used the '79 pedestal base and the rotor pointed to the same place as the '76 points dizzy on it's different base. Fired right up!!!!!