My Island 710 Goon!

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Byron510

Re: My Island 710 Goon!

Post by Byron510 »

The matchbox EI is such a nice unit for the older motors - it's sure great that Nissan kept these things interchangeable - it wasn't their mandate, but it was the cheaper way to do things and that benefits us hot rid types picking the best parts from the pile to build our cars with.

I know what you mean about broken bolts and screwed up stuff. I found that both the threaded holes to locate the slave cylinder on the bell housing in my brothers car are completely stripped out - I'll need to heli-coil then. I just hate it when hacks get involved in any car project.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I didn't expect to have two 710s. I put all my 'goodies' on the sedan only to loose it to my wife. I'm glad this one came up for sale at a good price. BTW the one on the sedan would not line up in the same position as the stock one. On it, (L18) I set to tdc and the matchbox was no where near the #1 plug wire. I didn't want to drop the spindle and clock it, and ended up with a modified Z24 adjustment ring hold down and the vacuum advance near the rad hose. Maybe this is because the L18 has a different #1 placement.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Got the brakes working. (only 4 words but the effort, stress and dead ends I could write a book about)

Could not get my, or my parts master or one from an S12 to work properly, had a zx unit given to me, it didn't seem to move much fluid and would stick in the bore, ordered a rebuild from Courtenay Nissan, waited 4 days for it and received a clutch master kit instead, apologies "we'll order it right now....... oh, sorry no longer available." Two days later got a call from the parts manager... (did not return the call), ordered a kit from NAPA and got something that's been sitting on a shelf since the '80s I think. Parts guy said "I been working here over 20 years and those only come in a blue box. Never seen that box before". Rebuilt the zx 15/16" master Thursday night and installed and bled it, took 2 hrs being careful. Today with help I bled the rest of the system and now have brakes.

Every now and then you run into a human being that simply just makes your day. I went in to the local Autoplan for insurance and the lady was very helpful. When she went in the back for my plates she said over her shoulder.."Do you want 710?" You have that I said? And she handed me these....

She said her sister had a Datsun 210 back in the day. So much win!

Have only really driven the car 5-6 miles last September to get it home. Noticed that once warmed up and choke off it has a major bog taking off and runs well once the secondary is in. I'll take the carb off tomorrow and clean it, hell my parts car carb worked flawlessly coming home from Jason's, maybe swap instead.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

Wow,nice plate, too bad the last 2 letters aren`t switched around.
1972 Yellow 4dr
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Yeah or FTW. :D
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Spent way too much time Sun morning trying to get the spare carb off. Gave up. The 620 was a bitch but car L20Bs have more stuff in the way of the wrench. Removed the sight glass and float assy from the '76 and cut the end off a 12mm spanner. With the box end, I was able to remove the plug covering the primary jet just below the fuel bowl. I sprayed carb cleaner in both directions through the jet and put back together. Runs perfectly now when warmed up.

Drove into town and back and later over to see the paint job on the '74. This thing is a friggin' blast to drive. The truck wasn't really a rocket ship at 3,600 lbs so a car is pretty much a new experience for me. Jason the 20W fork oil was a spot on tip. The front is well damped and bumps are firm, but without harshness. This is with Maxima struts and cut down 710 springs which I compute to have a 150 spring rate up from the stock 100.

I haven't really looked at camber or toe yet but something feels 'odd'. Car wanders to the left slightly and when turning the effort isn't.... linear. What I mean is there is the usual firm resistance when turning the wheel and then often it feels slightly easier partway.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Sounds great Mike! Glad the damping feels good, I liked it on my 'goon! I guess the toe is off a bit?
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Drove to work and backed on pavement. Toe looks ok but pass side camber may be off slightly. Really need my torpedo level to check the vertical.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Last night I cleaned and painted the Moog camber plates that came with the car.

Had time today to install them. Went to a fastener shop and (choke) spent $25 on bolts and nuts for this. Pushed the struts over to the inside as far as they would go and added an extra 1/2" of lift on the pass side to try and level out the front end. Looks?? better. Drives better! I'm not imagining that. Got to find my level.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Went for a 200 mile jaunt shake down cruise today. Car still pulls gently to the left but otherwise easy and comfortable to drive. The thermostat was a 160 unit which I replaced with the proper 180 and now the gauge that barely touched the normal range is now half a needle width below the top of the normal range and will, on hills, go half a needle above the normal range. When slowed down in town it reads about the same so it's not just at high speeds. I would feel much better if it was mid range. Tomorrow I'll throw my parts car rad in, just in case this one is scaly inside. If not that maybe the new thermostat is wrong?

Love the 5 speed! So used to the 620 where you have to down shift to accelerate. The 710 pulls away in any gear.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Replaced the thermostat and now reads just below mid normal range. I swapped the parts car rad too but both looked good. If it was the rad it would have run hotter or cooler depending on the load. Had to be the new thermostat that was bad.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Got a pair of zx seats. Do not want to drill holes in the floor so swapped the 710 rails onto the zx seats and then bolted them back into the stock location. Both rails are about the same distance apart so good there.

The front rail bolt went into the stock zx location with a large shiny nut for a spacer so the track wouldn't scrape the bottom of the seat material.

Alas the rear bolt hole did not line up by a couple of inches so I punched and drilled a new one. Not keen on the color but I had good results with the fabric paint so will 'tint' them later.

Some fiddling and viola....

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Today I removed the lower leaf springs from my parts goon. The plan is to double up the second leaf and remove the bottom one. After looking at them I may be able to just add one. This will add stiffness when I lower it with blocks. Both lower leaves were broken.

I pulled the axles and removed the 3.70 H-165-B diff. (if I can just talk Mrs. d into a diff swap I'll put this one in and I'll have her 4.11s. Who-ha-ha-ha-ha)

ImageImage

Before removing the diff I checked something I've been wondering about for a couple of years. Would it be possible to put disc brakes on the back? So while the axles are out I went to the bottomless parts cache and found these S110 rear disc brake axles and...

...so far so good. The S110 used an H-165-B axle but had rear disc brakes. Length is close, so worth fitting to see.

Good fit. Splines fit the diff and turn the yoke. Bearing taps into place and the 12mm mounting bolts fit and tighten up just right. Actually the bolts need to be about 1/2" longer to compensate for the caliper mounting plate.

So... Jason. You still have and want to part with those S110 calipers?????
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I could be pursuaded to part with the calipers Mike!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

:lol: :lol: :lol: