BACK TO MY NISSAN ROOTS

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: BACK TO MY NISSAN ROOTS

Post by bertvorgon »

Might as well mention that I am into my 6th year with the car, no issues during year 5, ran like a top. I do see that the suspension setup is hard on tires. There is a reason it turns in so well, but, that castor does eat the inside of the tires, as I maximize that handling and turn in almost everyday, I love it when civilians follow me into a corner, I never touch the brakes....wakey wakey.

I will need tires towards the end of this year again, so approx. 3 years on a set. There is quite the rumble now at low speed, as they have worn down and gotten harder

Fuel economy has stayed consistent, for what that is worth.

That brake issue is still there, which really is a piss off considering how nice the package is for the most part, almost ruins the experience.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Hey keith,that sucks about your door .My buddy just moved up the hill by you at East beach. He got his car broken into the other night.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Maybe a bit of a silly post today, as I spin my wheels on a rainy, cool September day.

I am now half way through my 8th year with the G35, it now having some 204 + thousand Km on it. It has run incredibly well, still tight and no leaks anywhere. It still gives me 29 to 32 MPG on a highway trip and around 26 MPG with mixed city driving.

Our horrible traffic does not help mileage.

The “tip-in” with the throttle is still excellent, crisp. That is still the original clutch in there and tranny shifts ok, 2nd maybe a bit notchy, but that was an issue right from the start. It’s a big transmission with heavy gears. The oil switch made it better, maybe time to put fresh in again.

I did that big trip to Sonoma raceway last year where it never missed a beat.

I put a set of Yokohama tires on last year and they have been wonderful, maybe a tad harsh on sharp, quick bumps, but have excellent grip in both wet and dry, very predictable.

The CD player did die, that has pissed me off to no end, but if that is the worst, I will take it. I have been contemplating replacing it. There is an FM transmitter buried under the dash, but, it is keyed to 88.1 which is our local CBC station, so in town it over rides the signal from the transmitter.

I did kind stumble onto my brake issue, it seems I have been chasing a never ending seizure of calipers, with the last one being my left front, lower piston. This has caused the double pump as it tried to square up the pads to the rotor. Nissan really blew it on the brakes on my model in MHO. When I get some more time I may pop the pads out and true them up on Andy’s brake pad surfacing jig.

At least now the pedal is consistent and if the pads were truly square would get rid of a bit of travel.

The new Philips High Intensity bulbs, that were NOT cheap, brought the lighting back to as new or better.

My next fuel fill up will be the 263RD since I have had it. Being retired now I’m not pounding the K’s on like before.

I did find one funny thing as my fuel door lock never worked and I decided to fix it. After mining my way through all the trunk lining, new part in hand, I find the wire was NEVER hooked up. The guy in the factory must have gone for coffee at that point on the assembly line. I plugged it in and it worked just fine, go figure.

I also found that keeping a fresh air filter in really does make a difference on this car, cheap performance.

So there you have it, 8 years in my hands, the car is now 13 years old, the paint for the most part is hanging in there, even though it did chip easily during my winter commutes.

My final thoughts is that this is a fantastic car for long distance and highway driving, but, in standard transmission form it is really not well suited for today’s horrendous stop and go traffic.
Attachments
May 2019
May 2019
IMGP4571 (Large).jpeg (510.76 KiB) Viewed 2815 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

so true Keith, they are not great for bumper to bumper driving. but man are they fun on the open road. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I was envious and almost thought about joining you and Trevor when you said you were going to do the Duffy. That would have been a fun drive in our cars, I would have gone back the Lillooet to Lytton stretch, which would have been such a nice cruise with minimal traffic.

I am so glad I'm done with so called "rush hour" traffic, we need to coin a new phrase in today's Vancouver world. I could not believe the mayhem yesterday due to the rain, just wait till the winter dark sets in.

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Not missing my 20+ years of commuting to downtown Vancouver one little bit. Retirement is good.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You got that right Richard, Jeez have I enjoyed my TIME, got so much fun stuff done over the last year and bit.

My son-in-law has to do that South Surrey crawl to downtown Vancouver and he has had it, yet, he still has to work. The stress is just stupid now for people.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

Well, I am now into my 11th year with the G. Can't believe 4 years gone by since last on my thread.

As I am pretty sure my 510 will not be out this season, maybe late, I have at least proven that after my slice and dice with Jamie last year, I can hold my own on a drive.

Miss my 510 though.

I got my car back the other day from the Infinity dealer. Andy and I tried some bug sorting on my fans not coming on issue, but, Nissan sent the wrong fan relays so that was off the table. What a job that was to get at them, Cripes. Infinity replaced the "fan assembly" and said all is good. It was NOT cheap!

Oh well, the car is back, running perfectly, all waxed yesterday. I got the rear wing re-painted so the car looks pretty good again. Even both Infinity and Craftsman Collision had not seen anything this old, this clean.

JEEEZUS.. a new two door coupe like mine now starts at $68,000 CDN

Heading out to Mission raceway today for motor cycle track day for Andy. He put a tune kit in the Aprillia, now making about 214 HP.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

This is the 13th birthday I have had the car now, putting some 171,334 Km (106,466 miles) on it since purchase.

Can't believe it is again sitting under a pile of snow. I made sure it was NOT under any trees like last year, where that ice storm dropped the branch on my hood.

I last drove it a few weeks ago, before they started brining the roads, it was running like a top.

Other than the fan issue, it has been perfect. Along with the 510 this coming season, I hope to get a few good road trips in.

I went this morning to drive the Honda to an appointment for my wife,....as you can see in the pictures the snow...F'N FWD...had a hard time getting out..I have good snow tires...then with the way the City of White Rock and Surrey treats the roads...they might as well not bother. I ended up NOT risking continuing as there are so many hills here...I did not want to be a problem along with all those attempting to drive with NO snow tires.
Attachments
Today, Jan 17.jpeg
Today, Jan 17.jpeg (351 KiB) Viewed 434 times
P1044101 (Large).jpeg
P1044101 (Large).jpeg (410.12 KiB) Viewed 434 times
One week ago.jpeg
One week ago.jpeg (336.7 KiB) Viewed 434 times
G35 Birthday today.jpeg
G35 Birthday today.jpeg (312.42 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Keith Law
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I'm in love with your view.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks!

Pretty lucky where we live,we are caretakers of a now 102 year old house, being here for 47 years now. It has not been without it's challenges for sure.

Wish it had a garage!

Keith Law