78 Creamsicle

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
izzo

78 Creamsicle

Post by izzo »

Didn't realize this place had a section for other datsuns/nissans. Never looked past the project link lol...

Here she is, 78 king cab. walk thru. Named it creamsicle. Its giving me some shit lately. Lights flickering, overheating....

izzo

Re: 78 Creamsicle

Post by izzo »

Swapped radiators, need to install a new water pump. think my current ones being lazy. Going to clean up the engine bay harness a bit. It got worn on one of the running light wires and kept popping my fuses. Easy fix tho, but if im going to fix that one spot i might as well re-wrap some stuff and clean it up good.

Installed some goodies :D

And
izzo

Post by izzo »

LoL. Who needs battery trays anyways.. This is the only rust i could find on the truck. Rather it be that one spot than many others or floors...

Please keep in mind this patch is just temporary. I don't have the resources or parts to complete this fix. So i just temp cleaned out the old shit and threw this patch in today so i had a safer battery spot

Didn't take to long to form the metal to fit in there like it should be. Pulled it out a few times, hammered on it, once it was close i used a hammer and dolly to smooth it out a little more. Just tacked it in there to hold it till next year at least.

i used the tape to keep it square-ish
izzo

Post by izzo »

I adopted this fugly beast for a hundred bones :lol:

Guess creamsicle has a new friend, at some point down the road. No motor/trans (motor from this truck is in my wagon, the rad from this truck is in creamsicle.)

Either going to use it for parts, or just put a motor/trans in it and drive it. But that will be after the 510 gets a little more attention.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You cut a perfectly good door for some scrap sheet metal? And then couldn't even be bothered to actually finish the repair?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
izzo

Post by izzo »

okayfine wrote:You cut a perfectly good door for some scrap sheet metal? And then couldn't even be bothered to actually finish the repair?

Haha. I wasn't even going to respond to your questions, but figured wth.

I owned a 720 for a few years. The doors on it were junk. So i went to the junk yard, bought two real nice ones with no flaws and put them on my truck. The two i pulled off, got set aside and have been sitting for a few years. I tried selling them, and giving them away but nobody wanted them as they had rust in the bottom of them. I pulled off all the good parts, windows, door panels, handles, etc and gave them away for free at canby to people who needed/wanted them. My last step was to toss these in the scrap pile at the local machine shop as i have no need for them and nobody would take them.

As for the "Couldn't be bothered" comment, i only had a few hours to do this. And if you take a look at the before picture, my battery was about to fall out. That patch is just a temporary patch to hold it until i can find a suitable replacement, meaning another junker truck to cut up and replace it with.

My spare time is very limited. With work, a few kids, one being a foster kid. So i took what little time i had, and just made that temporary patch so it was safer for me to use my truck. It is my daily driver at the moment until i can get another day worth of time to finish up my 510.

** edit, also if you read the original post again you would see that i put in there this is temporary.

I dont know what you gain by posting something like that in my thread besides trying to make your self look better, and me look dumb?

Either way, thanks for being the first to post in here :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

*shrug* It's easy to write the word "temporary" then forgetting about it...until the spot welds fail and the battery falls out anew. My point is that a proper repair would not have taken significantly more time, material, or effort. Never mind the welds that look to be on rusty/oxidized metal and probably aren't as solid as you might thing.

I imagine you've browsed around other posts and other forums, you've seen how "temporary" becomes permanent in a wide variety of aspects. If you see questionable work in those other posts and other forums and don't call attention to it (because you don't know the OP and you don't know if he knows, or even knows what he's doing, or whatever), then bully for you.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
izzo

Post by izzo »

I see your point. It could easily be forgotten about. Its hard to tell someones intent over words on a screen. :wink: Don't mean to come off like a douche. Ill see about getting to it sooner than later.

Forgot to mention this, but at the time of this fix - I didn't have a grinder. I had to use a cut off wheel on my drill to get it where its at. I borrowed a grinder, a grinding disc, bought some cut off wheels to do a better job. All of this is sitting in my truck now.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

wow!
that's some serious rustage. good on you for actually fixing it... better than the usual wood board and bungies and duct tape.
I'm also assuming you finished the welding, etc.

but as okayfine points out, don't leave if for too long. rust never sleeps!

I'm just glad it wasn't a 510 door! haha!

and that new truck, looks like it's JCCS ready - right next to Autohero's 510!
http://www.motormavens.com/2009/10/cent ... atsun-510/
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
izzo

Post by izzo »

Thanks

Didn't finish the welding yet. Its just tacked in there. Its just a temp patch to get me by a little while. Now that i have some proper tools to cut/grind with i can get to it when i have some time. When i did this patch, I didn't think id be buying that other 620 (still up in the air if its going to be used for parts or just a ugly beater)