Roadster Start up

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
MtnGoat

Roadster Start up

Post by MtnGoat »

So my 67 has been up on blocks in the shop for three years. I knew I wouldn't be driving it for a while and I didn't want to flat spot the tires or have them leak down when I wasn't looking and flat spot them anyway. I know I need wheel cylinders and brushes for the alternator.

What should I do before trying to turn it over again for the first time? my big plan right now is

change the oil
drain the old fuel
remove the plugs and squirt some oil in the holes
take off the valve cover and crank it until I see the cam oiling.

any more tips?
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Roadster Start up

Post by okayfine »

Those are the basics. Make sure you have a fresh battery since you'll probably be on the starter for a bit. I'd also suggest inspecting the rest of the hydraulic rubber lines, since you have to flush the fluid with your wheel cylinder change anyway.

I don't know how the R-series oils, but with the L you can drop the pump, pull the dizzy drive shaft, reinstall the pump, and use a long flat-bladed screwdriver shaft in a drill to spin the pump and pressurize the system. Bit of a pain to pull the pump again and correctly insert the shaft without a bunch of oil leaking down, but possible.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

This is a U20... I'll check out that oil pump deal, I may try your suggestion. I almost certain the U20 was swapped in which is fine, but once again I find myself with another diff I don't care for...it seems to be the R16 one and it turns unncessarily high Rs on the highway at cruise. The U20 has loads of torque and I don't need that low ratio to have fun.

I need to start haunting CL for a soft top. I'd like to sort this thing out and do some road trips but the lack of a soft top forced me to stay local when I was driving it before. Last fall some guy had some real reasonable deals on ones that weren't bad at all but I had absolutely zero dollars. I still have zero bucks but after I get that stinkin L20b paid for I can start saving a little and see what I can find. My 69 has a ratty soft top but of course it won't fit and neither will the hard top.
MtnGoat

Post by MtnGoat »

was looking for wheel cylinders...they're ridiculously expensive at roadster places and yet nissanparts.com still lists them for fitty bucks. I guess I'll see how that goes at some point.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Roadster parts= $$$$