Lots of changes this year.

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datzenmike
Supporter

Lots of changes this year.

Post by datzenmike »

Spring Start Up
Last week I insured the sedan and fired her up and swapped places with the goon. Had it covered through the winter and it's good to see her out the window in the driveway.

Looks like it will have to go back to the paint shop. Evenly distributed over the roof, trunk lid and the rear panel above the bumper are these small bumps. Look like acne pimples. Maybe 2-3 per sq ft. At first they looked like rain droplets but they definitely are not. May have something to do with the car mistakenly being painted the wrong color and then being repainted within two weeks??? Oh well, don't care. Will get 'r done this summer as mrs. d promised me I could get my goon in for paint this winter. (oh goody... can I???)

This week end we drove to Campbell River and back... 69 miles on 10.3 liters for 30 MPG... very happy with that. L18 automatic and 4:11s for all you auto haters. Car ran without incident. Restart is just like my old truck, simply bump the starter.

Now for the changes. Early this summer I will become a grandfather two times! Also in the fall my oldest boy gets married. The news around Christmas about the expected births has thrown the two of us for a loop and complicated some plans we had been planning. Getting all three kids and spouses together is now out of the question so.... we will be driving the 710 to near Tofino to be married next month!

There are resorts there that provide an elopement package including three nights, spa, meals, witnesses, flowers, photographer, ceremony... in fact everything but the license. Leap of faith? Not really. West coast weather, now there's a leap of faith!
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Re: Lots of changes this year.

Post by jason »

Geeze Mike, talk about gilding the lily, twice over a grandpa for the first time in the same year! Congratulations to you and Mrs D! You know the wagon would be more fun on the drive up to Tofino eh ;-)?
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Definitely would be fun to drive in the twisties around Cameron lake but the sedan is more photogenic.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yah, I guess it is the kid's wedding eh!
Jason
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Hey Mike, those little bumps are caused by the car being covered by a tarp and moisture absorbing right into the paint. It happened to me too. The best thing to do, if you wanted the car covered, is to use a decent breathable car cover. That way the moisture will eventually dry out and not lock condensation under that tarp trap. A good coat of wax before the fall/winter hits will help also.

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Well it is a breathable cover and I did get to wax it twice late last summer. I was told not to for 5 weeks to let it 'dry properly' and it was over two months before I did, so I figured it was time. If wetness is the problem, well it's wet out here for half the year. If so I'll have to build something like a canopy over it. I plan to take it back to the painter and see what he recommends too.... and to fix it. Thanks for the reply.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Just got back last Thursday from the Tofino/Ucleulet area where we had our wedding on the 5th. Overcast all the week before and Sunday when we drove over past Port Alberni and then blowing rain to the coast and all that night... but the next morning blue sky! and through Thursday too. Beautiful weather.

Last edited by datzenmike on 13 Mar 2012 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Awesome. My old KA510 was our wedding get-away car. Parking lot burnout? Oh, yes!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Congrats on the clear sky Datsun wedding!
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Congratulations on the knot tying Mike! Glad to see our crazy coast weather worked out for you both. Way to go! :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

fuck I missed the bachelor party!!!!!!!!! haha

Great to hear Mike!!!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Thanks. There were three back-up locations in case the weather was bad... and it was the day before. I asked my bride if she called in a favor to get such a beautiful day. Damn, everything was so perfect. The photographer (one of four we picked from the resorts suggested ones) was total fun to work with. All I asked for were some with the 710, the rest, I said what ever you feel like. It was colder than it looks and very windy.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Congrats Mike, you sure look different all gussied up and all! Mrs D looks great!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Last time I did that was 40 tears ago the first time. :lol: :lol: ...and yes I'm biased but she does look great.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Damn Mike, you cleaned up pretty good :lol:

Congratulations to you and the missus. There's no better institution when it's all working right.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.