Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by okayfine »

Got my Vintage Connections plugs and made up my jumpers:
IMG_5780.jpg
IMG_5780.jpg (306.15 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
Then made up a larger heat sink to mount the rectifier and two spark packs:
IMG_5782.jpg
IMG_5782.jpg (256.03 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
Finally mounted the parts to the dash.
IMG_5783.jpg
IMG_5783.jpg (151.91 KiB) Viewed 7302 times
Perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing mounting location, but to mount the parts under the rear shell would have required about 12 feet of wire (have to run it forward to get into the tunnel, then all the way back). First test will be to see if moving the electronics from under the hood will cure the hot-start issue. From there, I'll see what I can do about finding a more permanent mounting.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

On the dash looks like a decent place.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I polished up the spark boxes a bit, and hit the tops of the fins on the rectifier with some sandpaper. Still to drive, but I gotta spend 8 days on a business trip, so :evil:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Looks like 3 wheelers have a future: (I am sure you have seen this one Julian)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/351898582300 ... ps/daytime
elio3rgb2-723x382.jpg
elio3rgb2-723x382.jpg (37.66 KiB) Viewed 7224 times
Screen-shot-2014-02-25-at-3.50.48-PM-676x406.png
Screen-shot-2014-02-25-at-3.50.48-PM-676x406.png (216.74 KiB) Viewed 7224 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I somehow missed your bump, Joel. Always interested in stuff like that, but it never seems to come to fruition here in the States.

Going to claim flawless victory with my repositioning of the electronics. Had it out a few times recently and while it hasn't been as hot, I had zero restart difficulties and no running issues. As always, big fun out and about here in town. And, either the ride is getting better or I'm getting used to it. It doesn't ride bad at all, better than some 510s I've owned.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Family BBQ last weekend, and niece-in-law asked for a ride in the 3-wheeler. Which led to a line of kids and parents :lol:

Funny thing was that almost everyone equated revs with speed. Anything over 3K in 2nd and we had to slow down. My wife does the same thing (well, maybe 3K in 4th, but that's still 35mph-ish). Combination of no roof and essentially sitting on the road.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

It survived the gauntlet!!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Heh...mostly trips around the neighborhood. Took a couple of the parents on a rip along the major road in the area. Everyone loved it, and the niece-in-law even went again.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

The latest car and driver has an article on a morgan. They drove it all over southern california deserts. Pretty cool to check out
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Still running well. Had a jumpy and noisy tach on a drive back home, but some T9 into the cable cured it. Typically will do Home Depot/USPS/grocery store runs in it, or just drives through the hills. Need to talk with Matt about cutting a plate to sit on top of the carb, beneath the air filter. Mainly to make a radiused entry into the carb bodies, but also to give me a threaded port for the crankcase venting.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

You know I had a dream of your 3-wheeler, I dreamed that it went into production and a few were sold, and that I bought one. I drove it in my dream; it was fun to drive ;)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

HA! Sure it wasn't an actual Morgan in your dream?
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

It was definitely yours. Though it didn't look exactly the same and it's looks and size kept changing as the dream progressed :?
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Hey, congrats the little three wheeler is featured on BuildThreads.com !

http://www.build-threads.com/build-thre ... r-replica/
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Fancy. Not a bad collection of progress pictures. Now I want to build it again :!: