Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Looks great and love the whitebird touch you added there!
looking for pass. side arm rest
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That glass looks great Julian, especially painted.

EFI?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Thanks guys. EFI? Not if I go with the downdraft Webers. EFI would probably only enter the picture if I got a spare engine from a later Goldwing. Now that it all works, I should start looking for a spare engine. Not much in the way of hard parts available for these, so if one goes pop you pretty much swap it out.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
imtb

Post by imtb »

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Looks like a T-Rex? I wonder what is "patentable" in what Polaris is looking to make.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

okayfine wrote:Looks like a T-Rex? I wonder what is "patentable" in what Polaris is looking to make.
"You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead; your next stop...Patent Examiner Zone! Almost Rod Serling

Sometimes these folks make weird decisions, so who knows?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Maybe I could patent my color combo.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Another morning about town. Took BigWheel to the vet, Target, and PetCo. Perhaps shouldn't have gone to Target, since the reason for going was to buy a couple of their frozen turkey breasts (great on the smoker!) - but since I have yet to make the heater scoop, the "heater" is still on in the car and on the floor of the passenger seat, where I stuck two frozen turkey breasts. Oops.

That said, I got mad props in the Target parking lot, so it was all good. Another older lady stopped by and commented on how neat it was. She also took a look at the big Harley cans and asked if it was loud. Happily I could make her day by reporting it was very quiet.

Backing it out of the space, a father and his young girl walked up and asked about it. The watched as I got in and drove off. And I was followed from the Target lot across the street to the PetCo lot by a group of three early-20s kids who wanted to sit in it and get their pictures taken. No problem.

Still a bit of a hot-start issue at times. Haven't come up with any common causes yet, but have also done no troubleshooting. Sick chicken taking priority at the moment, but even errands are fun on three wheels.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I might have figured out what my hot-start problem is. The rectifier gets hot during operation, and this isn't helped with the hot radiator air blowing into the under-hood area...which is where I have the rectifier mounted.
IMG_4711.jpg
IMG_4711.jpg (255.36 KiB) Viewed 4784 times
I originally mounted it mated to a CPU heat sink. There isn't much room in the wiring length to move the whole thing anywhere useful (like, to the rear). I figure this will eventually be taken care of once I build the underhood radiator scoop, but that might not be for a while, and I'd like to not be stranded in the mean time.

Symptoms seem to match up to that, as it was warm ambient and after a few miles of the radiator blowing full temp when I had the biggest problem starting it. No problem getting juice to the starter, it spins fine.
BillF
Supporter

Post by BillF »

Gettin' some Moggy love over at Jalopnik (not as cool as driving your own creation though :wink: )
http://jalopnik.com/the-morgan-three-wh ... 1564625798
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

You going to make an extension jumper ?
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I wonder where they are $36K. IIRC they were $45K basic, and even Thaine's that I rode in was $50K lightly optioned. But, yeah, I can totally see making the case for basic no-frills motoring in these times of weight, safety nannies, and HP wars (cars with 600+hp where you can't use a fraction of the HP for lack of traction and couldn't use the rest anyway because you're breaking all known speed limits simply by topping out second gear).

As to the jumper, perhaps. I'd need to find a connector, and it's probably going to be attached to a spare rectifier. The other option is to drill a hole into the front side of the hood and run a tube back to the rectifier. That's probably more fiddly, though more of a conversation starter. Like it needs it :)
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Get a nice NACA scoop with hose.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

okayfine wrote:As to the jumper, perhaps. I'd need to find a connector
Vintage Connections to the rescue:

http://vintageconnections.com/ShoppingCart.htm
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

BillF wrote:Gettin' some Moggy love over at Jalopnik (not as cool as driving your own creation though :wink: )
http://jalopnik.com/the-morgan-three-wh ... 1564625798
Reading the associated link to his original drive, among his other points, these:
Jalopnik wrote:The fourteenth thing you need to know is that it's still an old design and no modern updates can overcome a steering radius on par with the HMS Hood and the suspension challenges of having a massive wheel directly behind you.
both ring very true. I have an abysmal turning circle. I couldn't turn around in the space afforded by the wide, empty street I used for my "drive by" video (same street I used for the last Whitebird video in which I turned around easily). And if there's a parallel groove in the road and the rear wheel gets in it, the car shimmies side-to-side. But it rides a lot better than Jay Leno's OG Morgan. Not great, but I haven't really been bucked about, though I will definitely try to take it in the front if I can.