Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
RonM
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by RonM »

For sale? :(
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

No room at the inn, my friend. The first car I will be very reluctant to part with.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Man Julian, That's a bummer, but still, enjoy it while you have it. If my scooby sense serves me, I'd say this mean there's another car in the works... You aren't one to sit still.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Bolt arrived, installed, and dinner via the 3-wheeler tonight. Ran brilliant, as always. Out-dragged a Lexus SC430, Top Gear's worst car in the world, so it's not saying much.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Out in the 3-wheeler today taking the T25 turbo to UPS. Had my first ever emergency stop. Driving down the main road, someone decided to pull out of a driveway. Hit the brakes hard and the rear end locked up. I modulated the brake a bit before it spun. I'll need to adjust the brake bias on the pedal box to take some out of the rear circuit.

Otherwise another lovely day out in the 3-wheeler. USPS, UPS, optician, grocery store, all in sunny SoCal May weather. I think I might change over to the fishing boat/orange metal flake helmets 'cause they're awesome...
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (50.33 KiB) Viewed 7267 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Had to use the "trunk" for the first time. Worked perfect. Passenger seat and footwell were full of other foodstuffs.
IMG_6538.jpg
IMG_6538.jpg (170.85 KiB) Viewed 7173 times
James

Post by James »

That is so cool. I love to see it doing real things…..
Finished is better than perfect......
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

It is 3 wheeler weather, that's for sure! Good stuff Julian.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I did go through and get the t-shirt made. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (153.8 KiB) Viewed 7077 times
back.jpg
back.jpg (161.7 KiB) Viewed 7077 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Matt Farah drives one and loves it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_10DQHQaK8
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dusting off this thread for a minute. The 3-Wheeler is the only vehicle I regret selling, but it had to go all the same. I've moved into different small garage projects including writing books. With the Internets and self-publishing via Createspace (read: Amazon), since I can do the writing, photography, and layout I'm a one-stop print shop.

I initially thought I'd already documented the 3-Wheeler build here through the 50-odd pages of posts. I figured I could just copy/paste into my book layout. Turns out I rewrote the entire build from scratch to flesh out those (all) subjects I only skimmed over during the actual build. What ends up isn't a set of plans (I didn't record measurements in the first place, and plans would mean a duplication of my exact build, which is pretty unlikely), but more the thought and process I went through to try to figure out how to pull off building my own 3-Wheeler. No expectation of selling any, just a project to keep me out of trouble.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (171.17 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
https://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Dream ... ian+serles
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

102,000 views Julian! We sure enjoyed watching you build the Morgan. Sound like it finally sold then, correct?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yep, it moved out a while back. Definitely an odd duck to sell, or to find a buyer for. Lots of weird trade offers, much more than any other hobby car I've sold. Made no money on it (just based on parts/materials, not even accounting for the months of labor) but the point was the build, during which I learned so much. It was brilliant. I'd do it over, but probably wouldn't do it again.

There isn't much I'd change if I were to do it again. The only thing I would change would be to account for the offset driveshaft and give the main tub a bit more width so normal people could fit in the passenger's seat. It didn't stop my wife from getting in, but I think the fact we never took longer drives in it was clue enough.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

I feel privileged to have witnessed you build this vehicle.