My VG30-Powered Samurai

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
andrew.lori
Supporter

Re: My VG30-Powered Samurai

Post by andrew.lori »

I Like this string ... keep the posts coming .
Andrew
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

I had a minor setback in the project. One of the piston rings had a deep scratch on its wall, which hindered the oil ring from seating in its groove. Also, as I attempted to remove the ring, it snapped. So I am waiting for Mizumo auto to send me a replacement piston and ring.

They are great service, excellent customer response.

Here's a picture of the scratched piston:

While I wait, here's a small teaser; chrome fantasies! Chromed A/C compressor idler pulley, with new bearings and painted bracket, FYE only:

iniazy

Post by iniazy »

I can't wait for the replacement piston and rings to arrive, so I assembled the good side head to see how it will look like. I couldn't resist.

The head gasket, before assembling the head:

The head is on, but without the valve cover:

Installed the valve cover:

Installed the A/C and alternator bracket and the thermostat housing:
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Ok, so time for an update.

I finally received the replacement piston and rings last Saturday and immediately went on to completing the engine:

Second head installed; timing belt fitted with new tensioner pulley.

Also, while I had the timing belt sprocket off, I went to a machine shop and drilled/tapped two holes, so that in the future it would be very easy to pull out using a pulley puller.

And finally, the engine is all set and ready to be dropped into the car:

I picked up the engine with the engine hoist (nevermind the background mess, all to ensure a perfect job :P):

Installed the flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate:

My zuk, facing it's new engine:

In it goes:

I had a very hard time slipping the transmission shaft into the clutch assembly, considering the tight space I had.

The engine now sits peacefully. Will send a picture tomorrow, since I only finished the job at night.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Ok, finally the engine is seated:

Right engine mount, I used a Land Rover Discovery engine mount, which turned out to be quite a perfect setup.

Left mount:

Unfortunately we had a little rain last night, with dusty atmosphere, which stained the engine with dust spots :(
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

iniazy wrote:Unfortunately we had a little rain last night, with dusty atmosphere, which stained the engine with dust spots :(
I'm thinking it's going to get a lot dirtier soon. :mrgreen:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

okayfine wrote:
iniazy wrote:Unfortunately we had a little rain last night, with dusty atmosphere, which stained the engine with dust spots :(
I'm thinking it's going to get a lot dirtier soon. :mrgreen:
Oh, please don't remind me :(

It is already starting to collect a layer of dust. We had a small sand storm yesterday.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Finally, the engine is almost ready to be cranked up. The radiator has been installed and all fuel lines and vacuum/vapor lines.

Barely enough room between the engine pulleys and the Flex-a-lite electric fan:

Had they not made such a low profile fan, I would have had to use a pusher fan.

Now, all I need to do is to fill her up with coolant, hook up the battery and exhaust pips, and everything will be ready.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

I have galvanized the exhaust manifold heat shields, to protect them from corrosion and give a nice look under the hood:

RHS exhaust:

LHS Exhaust:

Also, I finally turned the engine over last night, and it ran ok, but my distributor rotor is completely worn out. I don't want to continue running it till I change the rotor and cap. Should be arriving tomorrow.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Guys anyone knows what's the ideal timing for the VG30 engine? I've set it at 17 degrees right now, but I would like to be sure.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Most VG guys have EFI and don't really deal with timing. Is there anything in the factory service manual for the carb'ed VG?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

10-15 degrees is good, but the best way is to run it untill it pings, then back it off a couple degrees and thats it.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Grrrr

I'm a little depressed. A few annoyences here and there.

1. I burnt my car harness. The engine runs, but my fuel level and coolant temperature gauges are not working, and the alternator is not charging the battery. Thanks to a kind member of Zuki Krawlers who's sending me another one, hopefully I can get my gauges and alternator working again with the replacement harness.
2. I have a small engine oil leak from the rear crankshaft seal, although it is a new seal. I don't know why. Will not drain my oil on me, but real annoying.
3. The rubber washers that were included in the kit for the valve cover screws didn't take the heat; they all split in half and pealed off, leaving only the steel washer that is embedded in it.
4. Intermittent signal on the timing light, and I can't figure out why. All my spark plug wires are good, tested the resistance, and are all well below the maximum limit specified in the FSM (between 6 and 8 KOhms. Changed the distributor cap and rotor to new ones, verified the gap in the spark plugs, but still intermittent. I'm thinking because my alternator is not charging (courtesy of the bad harness), the voltage going to the coil is only about 10.5 volts, while it should be around 13.5. Do you think that's the reason?
5. Because my harness went haywire, I can't tell how hot the coolant is going. I think it is not running too hot, because I am feeling the upper coolant hose constantly, and it is soft, not getting pressurized. So that's sort of comforting, but can't feel comfortable till I get my temp gauge running properly again.

Darn, I was hoping to run the car around soon.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Bummer,

About those valve cover seals...is that a know brand or ? Curious who made them.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

two_68_510s wrote:Bummer,

About those valve cover seals...is that a know brand or ? Curious who made them.
The rebuild kit is from Mizumo auto, through ebay. The kit is top notch, the only part that I am dissatisfied with is this. The rear main oil seal I'm not sure if it is a bad seal or I did something wrong.

Honestly, those washers I'm not quite sure they're meant for the valve covers, but the number matched, and I had no other use for them.

They were 18 pieces, and there are only two things in the engine that had a count of 18: the oil pan bolts, which I have never seen use rubber washers, and the valve covers' bolts. So I assumed they are for the valve covers.

Actually, many many gaskets and o-rings/rubber seals were not used in the kit, because they included all gaskets needed for the fuel injection engine intake manifold, while my engine is carburetted from the factory and doesn't have any of those components.