My VG30-Powered Samurai

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
iniazy

Re: My VG30-Powered Samurai

Post by iniazy »

Ok, here's a short video as promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSWQM7OhYc
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Well I solved one problem, the intermittent timing light. Turns out the switched power I used for the ignition coil was only 10.5V, so I changed it to a more reliable 11.7 volts source and now the timing light is constant.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

I would like to get some expert advice on this:

This is a massive gap between the bell housing and the VG30 engine. This will be a huge source for dust to enter the bell housing and contaminate everything in there.

Is there a dust cover for it? Or else how is this supposed to be closed off? I can't imagine this was like that from the factory.

Any help will be appreciated.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Guys, any help with this question?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Most all Datsun trans seem to have this sort of thing. Generally there is either a cover piece that bolts over it, or a full, fitted sheet that is sandwiched between the block and the transmission case.

Below shows the cover plate setup. This is for an L16 engine. The L20B came with a full, sandwiched sheet.

Engine Plate.jpg
Engine Plate.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
Trans Plate.jpg
Trans Plate.jpg (78.76 KiB) Viewed 4884 times
I'm not familiar with the VG series to know which setup it would have.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Looks like you have some fab in your future! 8)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

okayfine wrote:Most all Datsun trans seem to have this sort of thing. Generally there is either a cover piece that bolts over it, or a full, fitted sheet that is sandwiched between the block and the transmission case.

Below shows the cover plate setup. This is for an L16 engine. The L20B came with a full, sandwiched sheet.

Engine Plate.jpg
Trans Plate.jpg
I'm not familiar with the VG series to know which setup it would have.

Interesting. Thanks for the hint. I guess I will try to search for that piece. Otherwise I'll just fabricate a small piece of sheet metal and bolt it up there.
two_68_510s wrote:Looks like you have some fab in your future! 8)
Fab? You mean fabrication?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

From the FSM:
vg plate.jpg
vg plate.jpg (119.26 KiB) Viewed 4866 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Interesting. There's a plate cover that I'm missing.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Well there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news: the new harness works well and all my electronics are back to normal.

The bad news: I don't know what happened to my engine. It stopped for almost a week until I got the new harness installed, but when I ran it yesterday, it was running very rough with very poor throttle response. I have no idea why it's doing that, last time I ran it it seemed perfect, very smooth.

The engine seems to be running extremely rich, I can smell unburnt fuel from the exhaust. I checked the ignition timing, not changed, I checked all spark plug wires, all are giving good signal. I haven't checked my spark plugs, by my guess is I'll find a few that are wet.

It feels like a carburetor problem, but I haven't touched that since my last time at all, everything is exactly the way it was.

I need advice on where to look. I'll go and buy some new spark plugs, but I got a feeling it is not a spark plug problem. I'll replace them because so far I've been running old ones.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Plug condition may tell you something. Pull 'em and post a picture. Note if they're all the same condition, or if one or more are different.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

okayfine wrote:Plug condition may tell you something. Pull 'em and post a picture. Note if they're all the same condition, or if one or more are different.
Yeah, that's what I just did.

Too bad, seems I must have made a serious mistake in my engine rebuild.

Two of the plugs, #3 and #5, were completely wet with engine oil. One, #4, was dry but completely fouled. The other three were good.

Here's a picture of one of the wet ones:

I'm going to do compression testing to see where the problem is. But most likely I am not going to rebuild it again. I'll just get a JDM engine and bolt it on. I'm disappointed with myself.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Compression and then a leak-down test will likely isolate the cause (rings, valve seals, HG). Something to learn, and potentially not an engine killer.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

What's a leak down test?

I am very frustrated because I really didn't want to tear my engine apart again! And the most difficult part is removing and dropping it back in.

But thanks for your help, I appreciate it.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Compression tester just tests compression. Leak-down pressurizes the cylinder and measures the amount escaping. From there you can hear if it's coming out of the exhaust, through the valve cover, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester