RPU

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Byron510

Re: RPU

Post by Byron510 »

What a blast. Does that motor have a water pump?.You'll have to school me, I know some of the older motors just used convection for water circulation.

I'll but your first drive was fun.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
imtb

Post by imtb »

Learning to shift this beast a littel better. 1st gear 10 max, 2nd maybe 20 and 3rd max so far 40, Rebuilt engine, I don't want to beat on it to hard yet! No down shifting until you are almost stopped. It is fun.

Made my own headlight stand out of stock parts
I happy with how it turned out. 6Volt light are like 1 candle light.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Your project brings me back to when I was a kid. My Dad had a '28 Model A roadster pick-up. It was quasi-restored to pretty much stock except for hydraulic brakes and 19" wheels off the '30-'31 model.

He and my Mom would take my sister and I out to get ice cream in it. I was barely old enough to be in grade school at the time. We had to sit on the floor of the pick-up bed up against the cab on a folded blanket. Mom would make a big fuss about how my sister and I had to stay put while we were driving and off we'd go.

Times do change.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Byron510 wrote:What a blast. Does that motor have a water pump?.You'll have to school me, I know some of the older motors just used convection for water circulation.

I'll but your first drive was fun.

Byron
Byron,
The Model A had a water pump.

The steering wheel has some interesting controls as well. I can't remember them all but one of the levers, I think by the horn button was the ignition advance. If I remember, the knob on the passenger side was either a fuel shut-off or adjusted carb mixture. The carb was an updraft Zenith 1 barrel.

The flywheels are massive, 70# sticks in my head. My Dad had tons of Model A parts hanging around the house long after the '28 was sold. He still has 4 cut down rear axle tubes that we'd use for jack stands.

The gas tank is the top of the front body cowl, with the fill cap dead center of the windshield.

The fuel gage was a sight glass in the cennter of the dash that looked right into the gas tank . The gage itself had a pivotted arm with a cork float on one end and a curved read out panel telling fuel level on the other. The readout end of the arm was positioned so you could see it thru the sight glass and as fuel level changed it would change position and tell you know how much gas you had.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I was watching that show "American Pickers" last night, they had a model A and it was at a guys shop getting rat rodded, they explained how the old school guys would lower the front end back in the day. They actually heated and bent the front beam at each end near the spindles, very crude but looked awsome, it was originally straight at each end, but ended up in the shape of an "S". When the guy explained the process I was like, damn, that looked difficult. but it works.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Very cool! Totally needs a dropped axle and reverse eye springs to get it down a bit. And some old school speed parts on that banger would be sweet!

My Dad also has a '29 RPU. No bed (modified style) on '32 rails with a Ford Zetec 4 banger...and a BUNCH of other custom stuff.

Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."