Project Ghetto Fabulous!!.....the Crazy Corona..........

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
goichi1
Supporter

Re: Project Ghetto Fabulous!!.....the Crazy Corona..........

Post by goichi1 »

Tonight I powder coated the Head cover for the 22re, I think it came out pretty good. The other day a friend came over and helped me clean out the shed and move some stuff around, made a lot of room to actually be able to get some work done in there. Now I can get to my oven.
Attachments
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG (212.45 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Getting that thing done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Today Jeff came up from Everett and wired the toyota 22RE, I can't thank him enough! A local friend, Chris, came over too and collectively we got it going. It's always nice to see one fire up for the first time in a project car.

Engine mounts: I kinda figured they would be too rigid when I fabbed them up, and they are. I have a feeling it's going to vibrate it self to death if I don't do something about it, but it will be later.....I still have to install the electric fan and wire it, install the throttle cable and sort out the clutch and brake pedals. I also nneed to tidy up the wiring, pull out some of the old stuff and finish wiring the alternator then I should be able to drive it. It's getting close!!
Attachments
IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4330.JPG (176.75 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
IMG_4333.JPG
IMG_4333.JPG (169.83 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Thanks for having me over!

goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Anytime Jeff! It was great having you guys over too! Rie really enjoyed talking to Christel and Emma had a blast with Sedona, you are always welcome here!! I wish we lived closer.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Any updates? Did you see what happened to the heater?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Not really much to update, I had to take care of some other things the last few days, so last night I got out there for a few minutes and installed the battery box and hooked up the battery. Thats about it. I haven't even looked under the dash to see why all the water just drained into the floor boards!! I'm sure its that valve though. I hope to get out there tonight. More to come!
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

So, I got out in the garage and started working on the corona's brake and clutch pedals. I removed the brake master and moved it over to the blanked off spot that its usually installed in on a 4 speed car, then installed the clutch master in it's place. So now the brake pedal will become the clutch pedal with a little bending and trimming of the foot pad area. I have the celica clutch pedal that will become the new brake pedal, it too needs some love to fit properly.
Attachments
IMG_4354.JPG
IMG_4354.JPG (204.56 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's interesting that Toyota does it this way, are the automatic pedals offset to the left a bit in stock for as an automatic, or will they be offset to the right now as a manual set up?
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I thnk they move the auto pedal to the far left spot in the pedal box because the foot pad is so wide. The Celica pedal fits the box perfect, just need to bend it to get the foot pad in the right spot. mod the pedal stop a tad and weld the spring post in a new spot. shouldn't be too difficult. I'll try to take some pics of the process.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Here's an update on the Corona.....While drilling the fan mounts for the second fan (the first didn't work after I installed it) I drilled right into the radiator.....Duhooo....it happens. I though sure I would just drill the bracket and the core would stop the bit, normally it would but I just happened to put the drill bit over a pre-drilled hole and it went right through, so I ordered a radiator.

Throttle cable is done.....little modding of the linkage, welded a washer that fit the Celica cable to the linkage and made a few bends and it was done....plus shortened the pedal linkage stop too.

I got the fan out of a Mercedes Benz, it's super heavy duty, cools my entire garage when I turn it on.....I think it's louder than the engine!!

Worked on the pedals, I took them out of a RHD Toyota liteace van that's in the local junkyard, they fit with a little bending, a little short, but they will work. I still need to install the brake switch and springs on both. weld a stop of the switch and should wrap that up tonight. Also need to install the clutch slave and route a line to the clutch master. Maybe tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_4367.JPG
IMG_4367.JPG (177.18 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG (149.14 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG (162.89 KiB) Viewed 4809 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I also didn't have a clevis pin the right size so I made one, it's not perfectly turned but it was fun making it. I used a lug stud. I couldn't find the tooling for the lathe so I used what I had on there.....
Attachments
IMG_4401.JPG
IMG_4401.JPG (192.6 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4404.JPG (154.03 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG (160.11 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

And the radiator pics......I had to at least try once to fix it......this was a fail!!! I'm not too proud to admit it!! Let's just say I'm not ready for this type of TIG welding!!
It just got much worse from there!!! I forgot to take another pic....maybe later
Attachments
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG (192.38 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG (179.95 KiB) Viewed 4808 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I got a lot done on the corona, it's almost ready to drive out of the garage. Today I worked on finishing up the pedals, what a job that was, then moved on to the clutch master and line plus install the slave cylinder. Got all that done and called Jeff to help me out with the alternator wiring, finished that up tonight and tomorrow I just have a few things to tighten up and then out she goes.

I had to convert the automatic pedal box to a manual, There was a short bolt that only went through the brake pedal so there was an anchor nut welded inside the box that I removed, then used a set of pedals out of a Toyota Hi-Ace RHD van that was in the local junk yard, had it not been a rust bucket It would have been coming home with me. The new pedals were shorter than the coronas, so I used the lower hole in the pedal box, not sure why there are two sets of holes?? So I drilled off the washer, welded it on the lower hole and installed the pedals with a longer bolt from the van. Had to re-drill the linkage points on the pedals and install the brake switch stop. I tacked it all together then after test fitting I final welded the stop.
Attachments
IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4427.JPG (194.49 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
IMG_4425.JPG
IMG_4425.JPG (213.55 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
IMG_4426.JPG
IMG_4426.JPG (178.36 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

So I bled out the clutch master and it's got a good clutch pedal now. I also swapped the nicer square style valve cover that I powder coated a few weeks ago, I think it really cleaned up the motor nicely.
Attachments
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG (157.71 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
IMG_4431.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG (171.83 KiB) Viewed 4765 times