RWD Sentra

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Mattndew76
Supporter

RWD Sentra

Post by Mattndew76 »

I have googled this a couple times and there are some pretty nice examples on the interweb. Anyone on our forum have first hand experience with seeing or helping with this mod for the FWD Sentras? I have always loved the look of the early 90's Sentra, they just had wrong wheel drive issues.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: RWD Sentra

Post by datzenmike »

Mattndew76 wrote: Anyone on our forum have first hand experience with seeing or helping with this mod for the FWD Sentras? I have always loved the look of the early 90's Sentra, they just had wrong wheel drive issues.
Converting to RWD??? This would be like teaching a pig to fly. First the engine is laterally mounted, then, is there any RWD transmission that will fit the motor?, floor isn't designed for driveshaft, no provision for rear solid or IRS axle. On top of this the car is structurally designed to be pulled along not pushed from behind.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3368657/1 ... ra/page-5/

The link doesn't show any fabrication, but it was managed. I'm trying to locate a 1980 maxima for a donor rear end should I have fun with this.

I would love to teach a pig to fly ;)
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Even a 83 280ZX donor would be a good RWD to consider. I am totally aware that fabrication and re-engineering will need to be done.

This is the type of stuff that makes car projects fun.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Maxima and zx are kind of wide assed. How about an S110 or early S12 rear? I would think the solid axle easiest to mount.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Hadn't considered those because of straight axle is a drifter thing. I want a corner loving car, and I know ZX and Maxima are fat tailed to add to a wheel stance for cornering.

I guess to outline a goal.

Corner loving car
wide stance
RWD
IRS
Correct facing engine
2 door or 4 not partial.
FUN engineering project with no hurry.
Shared R&D data and reporting.
Car to bring to Canby next summer (maybe since not in a hurry)

We all know the 510 crowd can make pigs like this fly and fun to saddle for rides.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

If you are dealing with the right width chassis, the possibilities are endless. Changing lengths of existing entire floor pans under older cars has always been my thought. How about a 60's Cedric sitting on a 2000 Infinity V8 chassis platform or something similar. Great fun in my mind. Our 510's are a bit too narrow though. There are few fwd platforms that match the width.

Have at er, looks and sounds like a great plan.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Byron, I was looking at the whole undercarriage swap, but cannot think of a RWD tub I could scavenge that would match the Sentra. I thought about 200SX, but good luck finding any that the drifters haven't sniped to roast tires.

This will need some more investigation. I want to keep the DNA the same vs using Mazda, or Toyota parts. RX7 maybe ;)
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Mattndew76 wrote:Byron, I was looking at the whole undercarriage swap, but cannot think of a RWD tub I could scavenge that would match the Sentra. I thought about 200SX, but good luck finding any that the drifters haven't sniped to roast tires.

This will need some more investigation. I want to keep the DNA the same vs using Mazda, or Toyota parts. RX7 maybe ;)

My friend Keith put a narrowed 240SX rear assembly into an early 70's celica. Not easy but it can be done.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Thats cool. Any pictures of pre and post Celica?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Mattndew76 wrote:Thats cool. Any pictures of pre and post Celica?
He sent me these the other day. He does not have a build thread and does not frequent the forums.

It is a 71 or 72 celica and it has all Nissan running gear.

VG33 powered with 280ZX struts/brakes up front and 240SX rear suspension, diff, etc. I know he has a bunch of pics. Let me know what you want to see and I will get him to send them to me.

He made a jig for the rear suspension so he could cut it down to the right size for the celica. I remember seeing pics of it. I didn't keep them though. :oops:
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Keith might take JCCS with that.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

That's very hip.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Love the 3.3 v6 badges ! What wheels are those? Looks like American Racing torq thrust's.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

That is the best looking fat fanny celica I have seen. WOW, looks clean.