“Golddust” – Jordan’s RB26 twin turbo powered S14 260SX

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
McShagger510

Re: “Golddust” – Jordan’s RB26 twin turbo powered S14 260SX

Post by McShagger510 »

PoorMtnKid wrote:How did you end up purchasing that GTR ? I have researched several times about importing and it seems to be a never ending battle. I know Canada is different than US, but just curious?
The trick is, you wait for someone to bring one in, they smack it up and then you grab it for cheep! :x :wink:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

PoorMtnKid wrote:How did you end up purchasing that GTR ? I have researched several times about importing and it seems to be a never ending battle. I know Canada is different than US, but just curious?
James has got it about right. The GTR came from one of the local 510 guys who was hit circa '08.

For Canada it's gotta be >15 years old and provincially inspected when it gets here. Lots of guys go over and pick up stuff for cheap at the auctions. Craigslist up here is full of JDM stuff like Pajeros, S15s, the odd GTR34, Delicas, you name it. It's a real racket since a lot of the cars are real cheap in Japan. I remember going to Calgary, Alberta a few times back in '07/'08 and being pretty amazed by all the GTRs there. Calgary = $$$ville.

I've sold some parts to more than a few guys stateside though so it can be done just don't bodge or skimp on the paperwork. They have been buying up '89s like you wouldn't believe.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

It's 25 years in the US so the R32s are becoming legal. One of the Jalopnik "writers" got one imported successfully.

"the entire cost was in the low- to mid-$20,000 range, including the car, the shipping, the customs, and all the taxes and fees."
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Got a job out of town so this is on hold for now.

Took a couple pictures of the blood brothers before I left. Notice how much these Japanese econoboxes grew in ~20 years!

Put away under wraps :(

The day before I left I picked up another pair of rims. These are forged Rays wheels from a 370Z sport edition. These are rears so they are 19x10+30. The rears are definitely a go with reasonable ~ -1.5* camber with 275/30R19 tires. The front rims come in at 19x9+47. I'm going to see how difficult running a square setup will be with widened front fenders. Square setup on something like 265 or 275 30R19. I could also slap the 19x9s up front with 255/30/19s and rolled stock guards and be good to go. I'm not sure yet. Both cars below are running 19x10s all around with aftermarket fenders AFAIK. Not sure on their tire sizes.

Some potential pics on S14 and S15.

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Radical!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Had a week off work so I did some more messing around with the car.

First I picked up another Z34 rim so I could get closer to completing my rim setup. I've also purchased some tires. For now, I'll run 19x10+30s all around with 265/30 rear and 235/35 stretched up front. 19 inch tires are expensive and I stumbled on a deal I couldn't pass up.

The most recent rim I picked up has a 275/35 tire mounted so it's a bit big still. After a fender roll, a 265/30 should fit pretty nicely out back. No spacers on front or rear right now. All stock S14 components with the exception of coilovers/camber plates (set at ~ -1.7* up front).

I worked on fitting the intercooler up front and it actually fits decently well behind the stock zenki bumper. I had to clearance various things on the front end but I think it'll all fit together pretty well once the IC mounting is figured out.

After hearing stories about people having clutch pedal brackets failing when they run upgraded clutches, I opted to pull out the pedal bracket and add some more tack welds to reinforce it. Nissan really didn't put any extra weld metal in the bracket to start with. It looks exactly the same as the $100 Nismo clutch pedal bracket now!

While I was around the master cylinder area, I swapped in a BM57 (17/16") Z32 brake master cylinder to deal with the extra 8 pistons I now have on the car. I went with the 17/16" because I am pretty accustomed to stiff brakes (think 510 sans booster).

The stock S14 rad and S14 rad brackets still fits with the RB26 so that is encouraging. This will allow clearance for the AC condenser in the stock mounts in front of the S14 rad. R32 GTR rad hoses seem to work well.

In preparation of pulling the engine out again, I decided to make a non-sketchy engine/trans dolly using some 2x2 square tube and 3 crazy wheels. It sits with 1" of clearance under the frame. MIG welded for expediency. It worked super well!

With the engine/trans/downpipe all removed together, I can now fab up the front downpipe that needs to dodge the steering shaft. Along with that, I'll be modifying the upper and lower rear turbo oil drain hard lines and the rear turbo water return line.

I swapped an S chassis 4 bolt flange onto the diff in place of the CV flange that comes on the GTR diff. With the subframe risers, there isn't enough clearance from the CV flange to the e-brake cables. Using an S chassis flange also allows me to use an off the shelf RB25 swap driveshaft. The R33 e-brake cables fit beautifully as the internet promised me!

I also picked up a torsen to build into a spare GTR diff. This will allow me to swap between the stock GTR 2 way and a torsen by only changing out pumpkins!

I had my stock RB26 injectors cleaned and flow tested/matched so that I shouldn't have to worry about injectors when it comes to getting the beast up and running. The filter baskets in the injectors were also replaced.

While the engine/trans assembly was still in the car, I used my fancy laser level to determine the pinion angle. With the trans jacked up right into contact with the transmission tunnel, I had 0.9* pinion alignment difference. To correct this, the front of the engine needs to come down around 1/2". I'll be modifying the upper engine mount brackets (RB20) to sit the engine down about 1/2" lower. To accommodate a lower engine position and stock sway bar clearance (I want to run a Nismo power brace with stock sway bar) I opted to pull the pan off a final time for further modifications. It is pretty common on the RB26 swaps for the front of the pan to be chopped to make room for the stock 240sx sway bar. To make up the capacity of the pan, I added a hammerhead on the passenger side that is nearly 1L.

Once the engine mounting up front is finalized, I'll fab up a transmission crossmember to use my new Nismo trans isolator.

Grinding down the reinforcement webbing for crossmember clearance.

Making some clearance so I didn't have to mess with the stock drain plug.

After finishing up the oil pan and checking it for leaks, I gooped it back on the engine for good and focussed on getting a few other odds and ends buttoned up. I opted to run with an Exedy twin disc clutch (sprung hub) since many say that the HKS GD Pro twin disc is pretty harsh for street driving. It's torqued down for good and ready for action. The GM LQ9 coilpacks are roughly installed for now and the coil brackets are coming in the mail.

That's it for now. More in the works coming soon!

Hoping to have the beast running sometime on Christmas break! :D

To do that I've got a few things on the list to do still:
Fab downpipe/modify rear turbo lines
Modify upper engine mounts
Fab "Nismo Power Brace"
Install trans/clutch fork/TOB on RB26
Reinstall engine
Fab trans crossmember
Swap GTR pump into S14 tank with S14 fuel sock
Order Wiring Specialties R32 RB26 to LQ9 coilpack harness
Run relayed power to coilpacks
Extend engine harness wires for O2 sensors and MAFs
Modify GTR IC piping to suit S14
Clearance S14 for 80mm IC piping
Install fuel rail/injectors
Install some sort of air box
Install rad/rad hoses
Loop heater lines for the meantime
Tweak R32 exhaust to fit S14

Other ancillary items:
Order/install an S14 non abs RB25 driveshaft
Install power steering cooling loop
Find a PS high pressure line that works
Install PS reservoir
Rebuild clutch slave
Fab IC mounts
Fab BOV recirc piping
Order/install new brake/clutch flex lines
Install ABS pump
Install rear ABS sensor (on diff output shaft)
Bleed brakes/clutch
Install heater lines
Ground straps on diff and exhaust

Put everything else back together.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

What a beast Jordan. Certainly methodical progress, and and interesting read.
Thanks for posting this here.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Auribus teneo lupum!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

I figure we're due for another update. I've been working on the car for a couple weekends worth of progress since the last update.

I modified the upper and lower hard piping for the rear turbo drain so I could have enough clearance for a 2.5" downpipe from the front turbo. Even with those parts modified and SHCS utilized, there is still very little room up there. I bent the oil and water lines so gain sufficient clearance as well.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from the great white north and waited for it to arrive. Ordered another '88 Z31T trans (for the shifter baseplate) since I couldn't justify wasting time to fab something up. Ordered a suite of GKtech adjustable arms for the rear end (RUCAs, traction rods and toe arms). Ordered the LQ9 coil pack mount kit from Mojo Perf and a brand new R32 RB26 --> LQ9 harness from Wiring Specialties which eliminates the stock transistor pack on the coil pack cover. Ordered another pair of rear 370Z rims so I now have a set of 5. Ordered custom DOT approved SS lines from Technafit.

I nicely drew up some lines but they just matched my set of drawings with various Nissan Sentra off the shelf replacements haha.

The GKtech suspension arms from oz are pretty good value IMO. They are well designed and robotically TIG welded which is pretty cool. The cheap paint savings were passed on to the customer so I'm hoping to powder coat all 3 pairs of arms in a hammertone silver at a later date.

I couldn't make a harness for the price of a pre-made WS piece.

While waiting for all the stuff to arrive, I exercised the daily driver a bit... There's just something about Quattro in the snow.. :D

New baseplate and the [first] frankentrans.

Once the rims showed up, I went to town and had some tires mounted (Thanks Matt). Currently have Pirelli P Zero Nero Porsche take-offs in 265/30 rear and 235/35 front. Ideally it'll be 265/30 square but this will get me going for now and allow me a chance to try fitting the meaty tires up front.

With the RB20 crossmember, isolators, and upper mounts, the engine sits too high in the bay and causes a poor driveline angle(tilted too far down by ~0.7*) and minimal trans/tunnel clearance. To remedy this, I befriended some triangles and modified the engine mounts to drop the nose of the engine and give me a driveline angle much closer to 0 while creating more transmission/tunnel clearance.

First I jigged the mounts and then cut the old mounts off and moved the upper part of the mount to new holes on the jig while I fabbed a fresh mount for the isolator. This was completed to move the nose of the engine down ~5/8" at the mounts. This brings the oil pan quite close to the crossmember but I will shim appropriately if required.

This past weekend I spent some time making pie cuts and trying to snake twin 2.5" downpipes between the front turbo outlet and the steering shaft. It was my first time really welding stainless so I still have some gaps to fill (har har). All in all I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Believe it or not, I only actually measured one of the pie cuts on the snake!

That's it for now. On critical path for first start mid Christmas break!!
msaunders
Supporter

Post by msaunders »

Nice work Jordan, looks great! Can't wait for a startup video.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Thanks Matt. Sadly there's no startup video yet.

I did make a whole bunch of progress over the break though.

First I visited Glen at West Coast Nissan to get some new gasket to help things come together.

With the new fuel tank O-ring in hand, I went ahead with installing the GTR fuel pump on the S14 cradle. It all worked out pretty well. Once the socks are swapped, the GTR pump fits in using the same rubber mount. I had to relocate the PRV (?) higher up due to the hard line placement on the S14 cradle. The GTR plug plugged right into the S14 spot without any re-pinning or lengthening.

I received the last rear suspension arms and picked up some GM friction modified synchromesh for the trans.

Got the coilpacks all mounted. You can't actually plug the harness into the coilpacks once they are installed like that. What an overpriced POS. I am unimpressed to say the least. You need to snake the harness through the mount holes and plug it into the coils before the mount can go on.

I had to make up a custom coupler for the left crankcase breather line. I bought a set but it appears to have been modified so I had to elongate it to make it work in the stock config.

Fabbed up a trans crossember and blasted/painted the rad support brackets since they were pretty ugly before.

Reinstalled the whole shebang and it fits oh so well!!! :D

All the work I did on the engine mounts/downpipe/oil pan allowed it to sit in there just perfectly. There is no more trans/tunnel interference and the engine sits nice and level. The driveline is within 0.2* now as well. The exhaust/cat is placed nicely in it's spot without hanging down too low. After modifying the front end of the oil pan for sway bar clearance, I have ~3.125" of vertical movement at the end links. Given the motion ratio, this is somewhere around 6" at the tire which should be good.

I had Pat's in Langley make me up a custom driveline. In the end I decided against aluminum since I couldn't physically fit a 3.5" shaft in the tunnel. Even the 3" shaft is tight due to the rear subframe bushings (risers). It's 3x0.082" steel with sealed Spicer 1310 U-joints. The slip yoke and flange are items 3103-30 and 3102-21 respectively for the R30A 5 speed mated to an S13 diff flange.

I did some chassis hacking to get the intercooler piping through. Datsun door welting really finishes off the holes nice. I used a 1/2" drill bit and then a nibbler to create the holes.

I needed to elongate the BOV recirc piping so that it can clear the stock air box. The old brazed metal was miserable to TIG.

I got into clean up mode one day and built another wheel cart. It's just 4 swivel casters welded to an old rotor with a couple bolts welded in on the lug pattern so that the wheel stays centered.

The last big thing I got done on the car was tweaking the R32 GTR exhaust to suit the S14. In doing so I was able to make nice exhaust hangers that put the exhaust exactly where I wanted it. I've only used bolt on hangers so there are no tough rubber mounts to wrestle with while under the car. It's very civilized to install. It's 80mm SS with a straight thru can with a 4-4.5" ish tip. I've retained the cat.

Some parting shots... The next big items are IC mounting and charge piping.

That's it for now!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

but what about the muffler bearings?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Your building quite the monster here Jordan. Seems a few of us will need to step up the game a little :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Excellent workmanship as usual Jordan!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Hey Jordan, Just wanted to say I am getting tied of all your slacking! I mean going to school, working, fixing your car, and who knows what else come on man put some energy into life OK?

Oh, BTW this is a great build, whenever I look out and see my son's identical "looking" 240SX, I want more power also! Excellent productivity.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX