1200 within days

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Mattndew76
Supporter

1200 within days

Post by Mattndew76 »

OK so I wasn't able to get a reasonable priced 510 locally. Came really close to getting a 4 door rolling chassis but ended up as #2 on the buy line :cry:

So At the same time I had my peepers on a nice 1200 Coupe. Again I was #2 on the buyers list :? , but the 1st guy didnt seem to follow through with the effort to buy. So I was awarded the buy. 8) Now I will be setting up a time to make an exchange of wampum. This car is MINE.. Oh how I missed owning a Datsun.
Attachments
photo2.jpg
photo2.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
photo1.jpg
photo1.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: 1200 within days

Post by two_68_510s »

More parts!! :lol: 8)

Looks like it needs a little attention, but I have always liked that shape.

Any thoughts on the color yet?
1200.jpg
1200.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

The Original color was Green. It was a vinyl skinned top too at one time (will not bring that back). I would like to go back to Factory Green though.

List of Body Mods:

432 Z style trunk lip.
ZG 4" wide fender flares

Suspension..... I want to do an IRS install..who knows though. Cant get to far ahead.

Engine.. Not sure where to go in this direction yet either. Lots of options.
Attachments
datsun4485.jpg
datsun4485.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Trim wise it looks complete which is a real bonus. Finding parts for these is way harder than finding 510 parts. Down in Oz there has been some spectacular 1200 builds. Just about anything that has been stuffed into a 510 power train wise has also been stuffed into a 1200.
Look forward to the build.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Only thing I see from the outside trim that might be gone are the vent scoops below the windshield.

Lucky for me the fella doing the selling for the cars owner is a 1200 parts seller as we'll. they have a ridiculous amount of 1200 stuff. I
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

I remember that car it use to be a washington car
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

It is currently a Vancouver WA car. Will be for a few more weeks before it heads to Oregon.

I will do a carb tune on it, use it a bit while I collect the build parts. Use it to add some 1200 parts to the web site.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Made my deposit today!! this car is mine... :D
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Driving the 1200 home tomorrow!! Its like Christmas!!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Merry Christmas!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Today began at 3:00 AM....Then it began to roll down this slippery slope....

So I rode the train to Vancouver WA to pick up the 1200 today. Excited and ready to drive the bucket home. The term bucket turned into the term Gutless Thunder after I found out the prev owner had cut the muffler off and straight piped the loud little monster. IT WAS LOUD. Extremely deafening......

Dave the middle man was more than helpful getting the car somewhat road ready. It wasn't even his car but he threw in some bits for me to use or copy from at a later date (door cards, carpet stuff, ect.) Very helpful.

So I started my trip from The Couve WA (Dave's) with every resident of the state staring at the guy in the OSU hat thundering down the road. It sounded like it was going fast but it sure wasn't :) So after hitting I-5 and not being able to accede 55mph the car starts to back fire, buck, and knock like no other..... I made it just south of Wilsonville to a rest stop and started to face the facts that this car might be way too tired to drive. So I started going down my call list for people to trailer me home.... Uh oh my iPhone is going dead... What no cig lighter?!!! I am headed down that brown creek that smells of poop now... I was blessed though.. Because a Tow rig pulls right in next to me so the driver could talk to me about the Datsun 1200 his dad used to have :D

I informed the guy of the issue and so he wanted to take a look under the hood. He whips out his timing light and asks for my tool kit. Then proceeded to time the car. Along with setting the gap to the points. he told me the Distributor was loose and that was my main issue. He locks it down in decent time and said to head out and he would follow. Should it break down he would hook up an tow me home. It didn't break down......

yet :(

I made it to just north of the Harrisburg exit along I-5 and I was getting a horrible shake from the rear of the car. Crazy vibration like the rubber was about to come off. I made it to the exit and rounded the corner then this........The car bucked ass end way up into the air and slammed down HARD. I slid the best I could to a pull out on the side road. This was a horrible day. At least it didn't do this at 55 mph.....
Attachments
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG (282.73 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG (557.41 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3571.JPG (344.13 KiB) Viewed 7572 times
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I check the lugs on the other side and they were finger snug :evil: None of the lugs had been tight!!!

Oh and that is not where the tire ended up. I couldn't even find the Drum.. It shot off some place into some really tall grass. The wheel flipped up over the car and was truckin on down the road.

But this guy was singing me a song while waiting for help.
Attachments
IMG_3577.JPG
IMG_3577.JPG (291.62 KiB) Viewed 7570 times
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

that sucks man. at least its a good way to learn. "pre trip inspection". no one hurt no foul.its just a good story to tell at the bar with buddies. and who needs drums with your skills and machines, big discs here ya come.
its not the having. its the doing...
Mattndew76
Supporter

Re: 1200 within days (Gutless Thunder)

Post by Mattndew76 »

Gutless Thunder is parked at a buddies house until my budget is ready to move forward. You are right about inspection.

Disks all around soon. Lots of other things too.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I know what it's like to loose a wheel on a public road. I had a tire shop install a pair of rear tires for me when I was still a teen. I had a flared 510 wagon, and lost the drivers side rear fire on the highway during rush hour at speed. It was scary as hell. The wheel went about a half mile down the road, and no one came back to me looking to kill me, but I have no idea if it hit anyone or not. But it took 45 minutes to find a 7" Libre wheel with a 235/50 tire on it! And by the time I got the tire back to the car, I was so tired I could barely jack it up and put the wheel back on. I took a lug nut each from every other wheel to get it home. It also tore part of the flare off the car, which in ture got run over a number of times before I rescued it. It also broke the drum.
Man, glad you were not hurt. Hopefully you'll laugh about it one day looking back.
It's all got to be better from here. :-)

Keep us posted Matt.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.