Bought a 2000 Exterra

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Byron510

Bought a 2000 Exterra

Post by Byron510 »

Well, don't want to drive Ole Blue through another rainy season. So he'll be put away in a nice and dry place for the coming season.
As a second vehicle level, He's been replaced with a solar yellow Exterra. It my first VG powered vehicle, VG33, 5spd, 215000 kms. I'm not sure if it's an EX trim level or not. I'm learning as I go. It does have the larger 265/15 tires, but they still look small. I take possession tomorrow. It does have a few issues, coming out of the BCAA inspection. I highly recommend these inspections BTW, well worth the $150.
Most importantly it will need the exhaust manifolds done as the LH bank is leaking slightly. I don't known for how long it has been run this way. I am taking the chance that nothing is wrong with the cylinder head.
The only other major issue was it will need front lower ball joints (integral with the LCA) and UCA bushings. Aside from this it needs the resistor pack for the fan switch - only has full speed setting, supper common - easy to change.
So, the exhaust manifolds need to be dealt with first. And this where I wouldn't mind some friendly Nissan advise. My thought was to simply pull the motor,so that a good inspection can be made of both surfaces - exhaust flange on the head and the manifolds. And all of the studs can be exchanged for the high strength ones. While I'm at it, all water hoses can be exchanged for new as these are all 15 years old, and original. The clutch has only 70 000 kms, but I may change it just because it's accessible. The timing belt also has 70k on it, since they're due every 90, I'm thinking why not.
I will use all Nissan parts unless someone tells me otherwise.
Is there any other friendly advise? Are these motors prone to any other issues like head or intake gasket failures?
Other bits on the truck will be rebuilt as necessary a bit down the road. The front brakes will likely be done in the future when I do the front suspension.
Any thoughts from my fellow Nissan enthusiasts are welcome.

Keith, I look forward to joining the off road jaunts now. I'll have a capable machine with low range.
And I'll be able to haul the kids, which is something I look forward to doing.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Bought a 2000 Exterra

Post by bertvorgon »

Sounds good Byron, let the adventures begin!

As some of you know, Matt and I had our wonderful Tracker stolen at the end of August. I will post up the journey to get where we are today, in another thread.

Bottom line right now, we found the true, little old lady driven replacement 2001 Tracker in Penticton, she bought it new, only 86,000 KM on it ( 50,000 miles ), no accidents, interior spotless, never been off road.
Got it for 3,500.00 + they threw in a brand new set of Hankook Ice pike snow tires, 550.00 worth. I have them for my Honda Odyssey, great tire!
At this point also, we also got our 2" receiver, wiring harness + spare tire back from our wrecked Tracker, so we are ahead of the game so far.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

Sounds great Byron! I know a few guys have those on the Overland forum I also frequent & they seem very happy wheeling them, just not the aftermarket support the jeeps & toys have. I'll have to let someone else answer th VG questions..
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

nice toy man! you should be able to follow me anywhere I take my rally car :P
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was hoping for a little more VG33 information onto there.
Anyone have some experiences they can share regarding an engine with 140k on it?
Things to watch out for,tips on what to look for?

Byron
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1670626/more- ... ast-night/

saw this report and thought of you and old blue. I hope none of your toys got hit

is that your exterra? Image
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yes - that is my Xterra - and my Mazda 5 - both got it. Calculated - all 4 doors, both cars - but just the doors - every single car - just the doors. My neighbour has a John Cooper Special Mini - both doors and their Audi S Wagon - all four doors.
There were two cops here in the neighborhood all day documenting the works. 60 cars in total got keyed over 9 blocks on my street and 5 blocks the next street over.

Yes, maddening.

But you gotta think of the time this took. Every single car was done, missed none that were parked on the street. And evrone one got the doors done – both sides, just like mine.

But I really don't get it, what kind of a good vibe could this possibly give someone...I just don’t get it.

$1000 deductible to cover both cars for fixing the paint. It doesn’t show so bad in the Solar Yellow on the Xterra. However the Mazda 5 being in grey, it looks like shit. My neighbors Mini is an even darker grey and it looks horrible. On all of our cars, each door has an 18-24" long scratch right down to the length of each door…..

Byron
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

thats brutal, sorry to hear man. not the type of "BC pin striping" I like to see.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Sorry to hear that Byron!

Years ago, we went through a terrible time here in Whiterock, so much vandalism and theft. I bet in total I had almost 10,000 worth of damage and theft.

One night, someone went up our street, puncturing every tire facing to the street, with me having two of my Yokohama 001"s. That was really bad, as I now had to get a full set, as the wear was not equal. If I remember, the RCMP estimated it was over 20,000 in tire damage.

Another night, some one went up the street, but, walked up and over the cars, denting the trunks, the roofs and the hoods. I was lucky, as my Aerostar was behind my Toyota, so it was too high for him to go up and over. Further up the street, he must have finally slipped on one of the roofs, as there was a huge pool of blood between two of the cars.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

510rob

Post by 510rob »

Here is a quick summary of Mr. S-Y Kim's previous court shenanigans

The July 17, 2009 judgment from the trial, holding 1 of 43 counts as valid beyond reasonable doubt (the one was deductively substantiated, the rest were only inductively supported)
--> http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcpc/doc/20 ... pc229.html

The March 11, 2011 judgement from the appeal of the one charge that stuck - original judgment upheld by 3/3 judges
--> http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcca/doc/20 ... ca127.html

The July 15, 2011 judgement from the appeal of the severity of sentencing - original judgment upheld by 3/3 judges
--> http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcca/doc/20 ... ca327.html

July 15, 2011 Appeal Judgment wrote:20. So on this information, Mr. Kim, I sentence you to one day, time served 86 days, I credit you with six months’ imprisonment on that matter, in addition to which you will be placed on probation for three years.
24. You are bound by a curfew. You are not to be outside your place of residence between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. seven days a week, except when going directly to and from, or while at your place of employment, or except while accompanied by one of your parents.
July 15, 2011 Appeal Judgment wrote:The judge observed that at the time he was sentencing Mr. Kim, Mr. Kim was thirty-three years of age, unreceptive to rehabilitation, uncooperative with the pre-sentence and psychiatric assessments that he had ordered, and unrepentant. Those findings were consistent with the pre-sentence report provided to the sentencing judge. Rehabilitation and the promotion of a sense of responsibility in Mr. Kim were thus unrealistic goals in sentencing him, but there was no need to separate him from society. There were no specific mitigating or aggravating circumstances.
July 15, 2011 Appeal Judgment wrote:Clearly the prior probation period of one year had been insufficient to dissuade Mr. Kim from a repetition of the conduct for which he was sentenced on 29 September 2009, and in focussing on the public need for protection, the judge concluded that Mr. Kim’s personality was such that he was unlikely to refrain from the same kind of conduct for which he was sentenced if left unsupervised. This was open to the sentencing judge given Mr. Kim’s prior conviction for an identical offence and the unfavourable pre-sentence report.
July 15, 2011 Appeal Judgment wrote:Mr. Kim asserts before us that the terms of his probation are so strict that he cannot attend the Church activities that he wishes to partake in, nor seek emergency medical assistance, if he needs it. It is open to Mr. Kim to seek a variation of the terms of his probation, should they indeed be too restrictive, by applying to the Provincial Court pursuant to s. 732.2(3) of the Criminal Code. Indeed, he advised us that he has already applied, albeit unsuccessfully, to abbreviate the length of his period of probation.
gooned

Post by gooned »

What a douche :evil:
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

that's easy then...lock the fucker up for a few years time. They have church in jail and they have medical staff on the ready so jail can meet all of his needs and ours as a society....
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

That is out of control.
looking for pass. side arm rest
510rob

Post by 510rob »

• unreceptive to rehabilitation? check!
  • uncooperative with the [court-ordered] pre-sentence and psychiatric assessments? check!
  • unrepentant? check!
  • probation period of one year had been insufficient to dissuade Mr. Kim from a repetition of the conduct? check!
  • Mr. Kim’s personality was such that he was unlikely to refrain from the same kind of conduct for which he was sentenced if left unsupervised? check!
  • activities that he wishes to partake in? Ummm, like what. No, wait, lemme guess... ...scratching car doors?!?