71 1200 Project ( Picture intense)

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
powerbench

Re: 71 1200 Project ( Picture intense)

Post by powerbench »

So while going thru the body , it was pointed out there might be a bit of a dent on the rocker. I have NOS rocker panels , but these are rust free and the damage wasn't to bad , so pull , shrink, hammer repeat . A small bit of surface enhancer and she will look good enough.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I love these 1200's, and your example sure is shaping up nice.

As James stated earlier, I can't wait to see you car out to local events. Keep up the posts and work, great to have you on the Realm.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

Thanks Byron and everyone.
I hope to get her running this summer ( money willing ) and be that hang around little brother , that everyone just tolerates because he's a bit different.
( until the wife gives me the green light to by a 510 Coupe) ...( and the money)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It would be great to have your car in the frey locally.
There are no little brothers however, just the Datsun Clan - formerly the 510 Club of BC which is now just a group of car enthusiast legally registered provincially as a non-profit society ( Westcoast Datsun Car Club), compositing of Datsun 210's and Cedric's of early 60's vintage to Nissan Skylines and absolutely everything in between including Patrols and pickups, Roadsters, all models of Z, and of course all these sedans, coupes and wagons of various sizes and shapes that encompass the majority of the group.
Here on the Realm, it's a cyber extension of the same like minded people, only on steroids - which just betters us all as an enthusiast group as it adds an international flavor that can't be beat. It's all pretty cool, and we are glad to have you adding to it.
If you are really inspired over the winter, the next local event planned at this point is 5/10 day at my place (Wednesday May 10th in Maple Ridge).

Byron
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

That's good to know Byron. I didn't realize there was a club up here. I would definitely love to come hang out and learn some stuff from you guys. We'll see once the car is on the road, if the little 1.2 liter can stretch it legs a bit. I better get back to work on it.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Be sure to talk to Dan (owner) or Glen (manager/parts guy) at The Z Shop in Surrey. They might have that odd part you need for your 1200....

Unit #207 13395 – 76 Ave, Surrey, BC, V3W6K2
604-507-2409

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

Hi James,
Ya I got a chance to meet Dan awhile ago. I keep meaning to get up to his shop and check out some of his stuff.
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

Little update ,
So when I took the car to Tycot to get the clip on the car, he pointed out some underlying damage to the one quarter panel...( Yet again I let my excitement get in the way of my car purchase).
I took my sander to the passenger side quarter and much to my horror found the full extent of the damage. The quarter could have been saved were it not for the complete idiot that did the previous work, and how thin he ground down some ares.I thought I had a line on a used quarter, but that hasn't worked out. I saw Dan from the Z'ed shop had an NOS one , and I struck a deal with him for it .I wanna thank the kids up there for working with me on a deal for it , and now I just need to pay for it and convince my buddy at the body shop to use his pro water cooled spot welder to attach it like original.
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

pics of my damage. This really doesn't do justice to the mud work in the quarter. And keep in mind, I was sold the car being told it was rust and damage free......

McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

This must be the quarter panel that Dan has .........
00Q0Q_iskS2lyw0gU_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_iskS2lyw0gU_600x450.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 5498 times
That's a pretty advanced job, hope you like drilling out spot welds too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

I'm good with spot welds and I would rather do that than fling body filler
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

One step closer to hitting the road ....or at least maybe seeing color on it.
powerbench

Post by powerbench »

Whoa , it's been a long time since I posted. So as the story goes , life and stuff takes over ....and so does weather. I had pulled the dents on the rocker and finished off the repair that had been done on the drivers quarter. I tried to get the quarter panel in epoxy before the rain set in . FAIL. It started raining while i was shooting it outside ( can't do paint work in my brother inlaws shop) . All kinds of water got under it and I had to strip it clean. Well we went into the worst winter I can recall and I had to let it sit till the spring. I left the car covered in his shop , but flash rust showed up under the filler and a little on the body. I had to borrow my other brother inlaws sandblaster and strip the entire side again.( when will this end). I reworked the filler again, and finally got to shoot epoxy to seal it . I have since lost the storage for the car ,so I brought it home . Now the fun begins. Start drilling out the spot welds and get the new quarter on, so I can see this thing in paint before I retire.

powerbench

Post by powerbench »

Well , It's not gonna put it's self on...Time to remove the old panel.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Crazy! That corner looks a bit too naked for me.....

Keep us posted on the progress.

Byron