Silvia

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
JordanTr

Re: Silvia

Post by JordanTr »

Yes I certainly owe you a ride! I'm not sure if I'll be in town for that weekend or not. We'll see--I'll keep you posted.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

After cruising around town a bunch I took the car on its second maiden voyage but with the gf this time. A big loop trip spanning Quesnel, to Bend, OR, Astoria, OR, and back home. In total we drove 3700km! We picked a very hot week to be gone but there were thankfully many watery places we could get into the water. The highlights of the trip were hanging around Nelson, Rossland, Bend, and a 25 mile mountain bike ride along Mckenzie River at Mckenzie Bridge. And a quick visit with the Wolfman!

Prior to the trip, I had leaks on the ABS pump which only turned out to be fittings that were merely tight and not the required super tight. I also swapped the PS pump suction hose and flushed the PS (more on this later). I changed the oil from dino oil to a mix of Mobil 1 0W30 and 0W40 resulting in ~ 0w35. The car has been running great. I haven't even looked at the spark plugs yet. Ever! It has an intermittent wandering idle that indicates that the IACV needs a cleaning.

After dealing with 2 leaky racks on Golddust I was not willing to accept a failure on this RHD rack. The PS system was open to the elements when I got the shell so it was obviously dirty inside. Mostly clean looking ATF came out and some milky oil indicating water ingress. After getting the system together. I flushed a lot (5L ish) of ATF through the system to get the cleanliness back. I flew down the one weekend to do the PS system but didn't have the oil hose for the suction of the PS pump. I used a heater hose with plans to change it later once in Quesnel. Upon arrival In Quesnel, I examined the heater hose and it was gummy and appeared to be porous. I now pushed changing the hose out to the top of my priority list.

I sampled the oil after the drive up to Quesnel and did a particle count. I was sad to find it at 21/19/14. A rather dirty oil for a "critical" hydraulic system that I didn't want to endure rack leaks on. Most of the particles were non metal and I highly suspect many came out of my redneck hose. I changed out the hose and embarked on flushing round 2.

I flushed the system several times prior to the big road trip with new Mobil D/M fluid. I tested the new oil cleanliness at 15/13/11 (very clean!).
After 3700km, the system was now down to 19/17/12 (about 4x cleaner then before aka 1/4 the particles). FWIW, Eaton recommends a 20/18/15 at maximum for a system such as this <2000psi but cleaner is better. I've searched high and low for a functional filter to throw on the return line so that I can scrub the oil clean in service instead of just running some oil through and dumping it.

Particle count scales are base 2 so a 21/x/x has 4x the particles as 19/x/x or 64x the particles of the new oil from the bottle.

Clean left vs. System oil initial vs. System oil post round 2 flushing
ImageImageImage

After 2 rounds of aggressive flushing, the oil is still not that clean. I'd like to see around a 17/15/13. After seeing how difficult it is to clean up this oil, it is no wonder that there is a big appetite for JDM powersteering pumps since the system all come from Japan open to the elements!

Enough nerd chat. Here are pics!

Google thought my route was too long so I broke it into 2 images.

Trip pics (in order). Some will probably recognize some locations.

Needles Ferry/Highway 6

Nelson Beach

Atop Nelson hill overlooking beach

Near the water over the Coulee Dam

We stopped to hear the noise of the wind turbines. Relatively noisy but SO cool I think. Around 1250 X more power than Silvia!

Our campsite in Mckenzie Bridge. A nice change from Eastern WA desert.

The McKenzie River trail up in Lava flows and takes you all the way down to old growth forests. We rode the 25mi in 105* heat. It was rather hot!

Oregon Coast
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Forgot the fuel consumption details. 9.6 L/100km average over 3500km!

gooned

Post by gooned »

Nice trip. Did you rent bikes?

How was escaping the Cariboo with the fires and road closures? Also curious how far down were you still noticing the smoke?
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Yep, we rented bikes. It was $80 for a bike, helmet and shuttle ride with a shower afterwards. A pretty good deal I think.

Thankfully Williams lake highway opened up right before the trip so we did only the Kamloops/24 detour both ways. I hate driving 16. I'll describe the places that had minimal smoke: Salmon Arm, Nelson, Bend, Oregon coast south of Astoria. The smoke was worst in Kamloops (47/10 bad) and pretty bad in Astoria even.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Some of the plans for Silvia included:
Powdercoat F+R brakes purple
Mech LSD for rear (R33 GTR)
6x1 ball in cage rear CV shafts
Large spline rear hubs
Install Z32 rear brakes with internal ebrake
Fabricate downpipe back exhaust c/w blast pipes (old exhaust shared with Golddust must go with Golddust when it sells)

Powdercoated 17Z and Z32 calipers

Some powdercoated 20% black parts (and some painted parts) for the mechanical LSD GTR diff upgrade for Silvia.

R33 GTR diff for Silvia. 31 spline output shafts!

Drew up some exhaust parts for Silvia

Dummy cat jigged.

TIg welding slowly improving.

Fitting.

Complete.

A welder buddy of mine came over and hooked me up with a #12 cup and that made a huge improvement in all facets of welding.

I can now finally weld nuts on without making a distorted mess!!

The blast pipes are pretty loud! YouTube video soon. That's it for now! The car runs and drives again which is a rewarding feeling! :)

Hopefully back to 510 things soon!
gooned

Post by gooned »

Nice welds!

If you ever come a rip past our place let me know...
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Nice job Jordan!

How is your busy pop doin' on the old 521?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

two_68_510s wrote: 18 Apr 2018 12:45 Nice job Jordan!

How is your busy pop doin' on the old 521?
We are making plans for progress around Christmas but time is always scarce!
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Well, it’s been another year with Silvia this year. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a fun car road trip this past year but the good news is that I have a permanent home in my own shop for it now!

Fuelly tells me that I burned 6 tanks of fuel and went 2900kms this year. Best tank was 8.5L/100 (commuting) and worst tanks at 11.4 and 11.3 were mountain pass rips on the crowsnest. And the best thing? No maintenance required this year at all. The closest thing to maintenance is topping up a slow leak on a run-flat tire once!!

I’ve replaced the damaged hood and fender with new OE metal parts but I’m awaiting getting that into a paint booth. Maybe 2020...
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Another year, another update.

Not too much new. In November 2018, I installed a GKtech front swaybar to give me the necessary sump clearance. It is a pretty highly engineered piece with a good price so I couldn't complain. They skimped badly on painting the blades so I blasted and PCed them the candy violet to match everything else. The car definitely handles better than before and corner pretty darn flat.

ImageGKT 2 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageGKT by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageGKT 3 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

In 2020, I drove roughly 4600kms with a best tank of 8.0L/100km. Worst was 11.8 on a mountain pass drive.

Today was my last day of insurance so I took her for a little burn to top off with 94 and see some sights. Some snow up high already!

ImageSil Fall 2020-6305 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageSil Fall 2020-6307 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageSil Fall 2020-6308 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageSil Fall 2020-6309 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageSil Fall 2020-6314 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageSil Fall 2020-6316 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

ImageSil Fall 2020-6317 by TRZ Fab, on Flickr

I have some parts to play with in my shop... we will see if I get around to wrenching on this over the winter. Goal is to modify a spare upper intake plenum to forward facing style and re-run some charge piping lines to allow installation of a BNR32 FMIC. Along with that would be modded BOV piping etc.

Happy Thanksgiving!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I love that car!!!! Make sure it's in your will for me :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
gooned

Post by gooned »

Great pics Jordan, tough to get tired of that scenery eh!
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Oh yes. No complaints here.
Now if only the snow could hold off until November...
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

JordanTr wrote: 15 Oct 2020 05:35
Now if only the snow could hold off until November...
Get a Pulsar for the winter :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam