Silvia

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
JordanTr

Re: Silvia

Post by JordanTr »

Sounds like a pretty great engine and the E92 335i down my street sounds great. I'd assume it would be a lot of uncharted territory on the swap front with little support.

It's also not in the family... haha. I never thought I was that much of a purist but I guess I am.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Heinrich wrote:very nice build.you make it look so easy.
Thanks. If you do it a few times and it gets easier. I still learn a lot every time around though! :)
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
OUTthere

Post by OUTthere »

Ya, if your a purist it's because you have the parts available to do so. I just try to find the best parts around to put a car together that scares me.

Wish I didn't see how good your powder coated r32's came out, makes me regret not doing mine
OUTthere

Post by OUTthere »

Second attempt at picture.
Attachments
510 rear suspension 16x7 001.JPG
510 rear suspension 16x7 001.JPG (261.32 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Sweet!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
sycklash

Post by sycklash »

That's sick !!
Instagram: @Sycklash
JordanTr

Runs & Drives

Post by JordanTr »

Small update: runs and drives!!

First start 1. Some weird noises.

Removed timing belt upper cover, spaced out the CAS, and tried again. Much better.
First start 2.

Driving!!

More detailed updates soon!

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Wow who's NSX? Always wanted one but them seem to continue to increase in value..... Would love to just drive one some day.
looking for pass. side arm rest
gooned

Post by gooned »

A black or charcoal one was doing hot laps past here two weeks ago, turbo'd but didn't sound like 4 cyl...don't know.

Look fw to hearing you come by for a few passes!
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

It's my uncle's car. Very cool machine. I haven't driven it.

Jason, I'll send you a text when I'm ripping around for sure! There are a couple black S14s with JZs around town so that may have been what you heard?
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Here's the promised update for the last couple months.

I finished off the charge piping. I usually use the pulse function when welding but my welder buddy told me to turn it off and dial back the heat. All I can say is wow! Welds have improved significantly since those minor changes. I really want to do another welding project because it's so satisfying when it works... Golddust exhaust, 510 exhaust, 510 intake piping? We'll see.

Thanks to pops for polishing!

One of the other things I wanted to get right on this car was the rear suspension. Golddust seemed to work okay but there's lots of NVH due to solid subframe bushings and all adjustable arms with heim joints. I wanted to optimize the kinematics and maintain as many rubber bushings as I could this time around. After a bunch of reading on the Nissan Road Racing forum, I opted to lengthen the traction arms and rear upper control arms. Doing so retains the stock toe change curves at toe in droop through 0 and toe in on bump.

I ended up lengthening Q45 traction rods 1/4" and setting adjustable RUCAs at 1/4" longer since these must be moved in the same increments. For reference Nismo RUCAs and traction arms are +5mm over stock S13/14/Q45. The Q45 traction arms are boxed compared to S14 and have slightly stiffer bushings. I would bet that Nismo traction arms are merely longer Q45 control arms!

I build a jog to facilitate these changes and added an addition to the jig to easily allow the RUCA length to be set properly as well. 5 turns on a 1.25mm pitch bolt = 6.25mm!

S14 left, Q45 right. Traction arms.

5/8" x 0.065" wall SQ tube inside the weld joint for strength.

The stock arm weights are compared to the rusty JDM adjustable garbage. As you can see, there is actually an appreciable increase in semi-unsprung weight by running all the adjustable arms. All in grams.

Toe arms:
S14 650
Yellow 1250

Traction arms:
S14 410
Yellow 855
Q45 510

RUCAs:
S14 1140
Yellow 1160
Q45 1730

R33 GTR fuel pump is a beautiful drop in replacement for S14. The pump even plug n plays!

Tore apart an old GTR diff with spun bearings. It's pretty cool seeing what's inside. This is why they call it a 2 way LSD. The diamond shaped cam locks the wheels up 2 ways equally on both acceleration and deceleration.

Performed the same plan on the rad as Golddust: S14 KA Koyo rad with M14x1.5 bung on the cold side return to allow installation of a BMW dual temperature thermoswitch.

Got my hands on a RB25 Neo turbo to draw up so I can toy with crazy things like boosted 510! :twisted:

Here's a parting shot.

Biggest outstanding items are a pressure line for the power steering pump, tires, and new coilovers.

To come in the medium term: BNR32 rear diff/axles/hubs/ rear brakes, powdercoated front brakes.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey Jordan,your work looks absolutely amazing!
gooned

Post by gooned »

^^^ yup!
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Made some progress on Silvia the other weekend.

I've had a busy time juggling work, fun weekends and car stuff these days. Needless to say, I'm very happy to have Silvia up north now albeit not totally finished. Spent some time near Jasper for work/fun, Bowron Lake Circuit, and Cariboo Mountain hiking.

I had a plan set up for a new flexible pressure line for Silvia since the hydraulic shop I went to before is gone. I used industrial crimped hose with a JIC fitting and a banjo for the pump end. After measurements taken before, this was easily completed remotely. I attached a picture of my parts list below.

Results!

Bored out a #6 JIC male plug and silver soldered onto the reworked stock hardline.

With power steering, the car was a whole lot more enjoyable. I spent a lot of time flushing the power steering ensuring that all the contamination and water from sitting open in a field was removed. I have yet to confirm cleanliness through oil analysis but I won't stop until it's clean. I don't want to be hunting down a spare RHD rack!

I flew home to get the car on a 3 day weekend and after getting some new park plates like all the cool kids, I took it to the streets! Needless to say, it's lovely to drive. Unremarkably, it drives a lot like Golddust except for a few big benefits including: vLSD compared to 2 way LSD so it's chatter/clunk free, rear subframe poly bushings instead of solid, LOVELY noises one the turbo spools up. It sounds much different than the twin turbo RB26.

After putting some kms on the car, I found an intermittent vibration that seemed to pop up on hard corners. It was aggressive and not throttle related. I got underneath the rear of the car out in the boonies and looked for loose fasteners... nothing to be found. I got home at 1am and got some sleep before tackling it in the morning. I was convinced it was a rear wheel bearing. I removed the RR axle to troubleshoot further. All fasteners in sight were tight. The axle had a leaky boot so I took the opportunity to clean and repack to eliminate the thin leaky grease (read: squirrel!). While fighting the axle back in, I bumped the brake caliper. It was very loose!! I tightened up the totally loose bolts and things were much quieter from then on.

Armed with Loctite 290, I embarked on a nut and bolt check around the car and found many bolts were certainly not torqued to where they should be.

Now that the car worked, I embarked on shifter mods so that I could fit the stock shift boot on the tunnel. I was getting tired of the hot blasting air from underhood. I ended up building an offset shifter which turned out sweet! Pics of the process below. Now I have stock shifter placement and a stock lower shift boot!

On the final day, I took the opportunity to snap some pics of both cars together. Same chassis code, different years, different continents, different engines.

Parting shot with Cariboo sunset.

Still upcoming sometime. Purple front brakes and BBK on the rear. Rear diff stuff on hold for summer.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Very cool Jordan - great work. Thank you for keeping this project updated here. I'll look forward to seeing you car one day soon, maybe you can take me for a blast next time your in town. Will you bring this to the AJC on Aug 27th in North Vancouver?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.