Yet another project...

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datsunfreak

Yet another project...

Post by datsunfreak »

Got some new wheels for it so I decided to snap a pic... '73 1200 Coupe, new wheels are Konig Rewinds (14x7). I'm in the process of installing 510 BRE bubble flares on it... paint to come soon... 8)

...but only after the RHD conversion :twisted:

510rob

RE: Yet another project...

Post by 510rob »

mmmm, I like those wheels - I am glad they are making them...

I like the car - looks cool, reminds me of Andy Pearson's old 1200...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, my first really scary ride, in a 300HP Datsun 1200,driven by Mr.
Pearson!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

ha! I heard stories of that car being able to absolutely fry the tire (open diff?) even in 5th gear at highway speed???
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

WTF?
what crazy contraption did he have under the hood? I could only imagine it started with a 'C', and ended with a lot of money.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

nope - a Datsun with a TURBOCHARGER!!!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It had the "KILLER COLT" kit in it originally. It was a suck through turbo system, modified by Andy of course. Not a lot of money at all. At least not in 1978. I have told this story many times, of my first ride over (and I mean over) the Queensborough Bridge in the 1200. I was seeing Andy about getting one of my first turbo grind cams. He asked if I would like to go for a ride in his "test sled". "Sure", I said, thinking, "I wonder if it is as fast as my 510!" We roll out of his shop on Sharpe St. the car making all sorts of mechanical noises. A fuel pump was vibrating like crazy, a huge sucking sound from the carb, and a not very, if even, muffled exhaust. You know how tinny those cars were. He had the Nissan Comp suspension in it. Rock hard. Traffic was light, and, just as we went onto that sweeper heading across the bridge from Stewardson Way, he jumped on the throttle! The thing just lit up, sideways, Armeggedon had arrived. I though we were dead. Second gear, third gear, fourth gear, tires spinning the WHOLE time. We literaly SKIPPED as we hit the old expansion joints. I could not get far enough into those old baggy seats, even with the tremendous G-force pushing me there. AND....THERE WAS NOTHING TO HANG ONTO!!! We went whistling down the far side, at well in excess of 100 MPH, heading for the sweeper at the bottom. This was before the center barrier was there. The next thing I know, I have just been totally thrown FORWARD into the seat belt as Andy just nails us down to just about ZERO MPH...drops it into second gear...twists the steering wheel..pitches it...nails the throttle...and has us hurtling BACK over the bridge...tires spinning the whole time...I have now been pressed BACK into the seat...as we skip back over the expansion joints...tires of couse spinning the WHOLE time. I do not think I breathed the whole time. as we pulled back into the shop, he very calmly asked, "Wouldya think?" I was speechless!
This car was the TEST bed. He ran 20+ PSI in that thing, with methonal injection similar to my system. Everytime a piston went out the tailpipe, he would just get a stronger set of pistons made. Or whatever broke. Ultimately, it did get the 1200 motor in there, turbo'd, intercooled, etc.. lots of tales about that. And, as you locals know, led to a lot of the developement of the actual Colt race car, now owned by Jason Koehn. I like to think I learned and benefitted from some of those tests. The other kinda legendary car he built for a customer/friend was the 260z of Mike's from CALIFORNIA SPEED Shop on Edmonds. I went for a ride in that thing one day, did 150 MPH on River Road in Richmond. It made absolutely stupid horse power. It had a very large turbo on it. it was slow to get going, and then...the rush of speed was awesome to behold, and very, very , scary. I have never had telephone pole go by that fast!!!!!!!!!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

so what happened to this 1200?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Unfortunately, on one rainy B.C. day, Andy took evasive action in traffic, slid the car, and got hit by a woman. Andy had those original 001's or 008's, can't remember, but, just had no traction. Car was a write off. I think the 1200 Turbo motor may still be in the shop. I will have to ask. I think Steve, who was on the motorcycle on last years Duffy, put the suspension in his 1200 when he had it. Man, did that car corner hard.

Keith Law
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

lookin' good. very nice wheels too. what color are you going to make it?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
bueiz
Supporter

Post by bueiz »

I like those 1200's.
shwyn510

Post by shwyn510 »

yeah 1200s are really cool car...if you don't mind me askin where did you get those wheels..i love the look of them