71 skyline

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
Smokey1

71 skyline

Post by Smokey1 »

WELL HERE SHE IS AS YOU CAN SEE IT LOOKED LIKE A NICE CAR WHEN I GOT IT BUT ITS BEEN GOING DOWN HILL EVERY SINCE BUT I HAVENT GIVEN UP YET BUT BOY DO I EVER THINK ABOUT IT click the pic to see the restoration
Zilla510

RE: 71 skyline

Post by Zilla510 »

Nice car.......too bad it turned out to be in such a bad shape. stick with and make it sickest old school skyline.

Zilla510
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Dude, stick with it! I know you'll feel it looks like crap, and you are no doubt wondering what the hell you got your self into. i know this, because I've been there. My last restoration is posted in the gallery under 69 Resto Project, and a heading under the same name under the Projects Topic. I believe it's 13 or so pages long.

If you need a bit of inspiration, grab a cup of joe, make sure your have at least 45 minutes to sit at the computer, and check out what this poor guy in Sweden got stuck with! At least the videos are well edited and worth watching!

http://www.the510realm.com/index.php?na ... estoration

You'll love it in the end. I know your committed because I see the investment in new tools (shown in parts) in your photo's. Thanks for sharing them. I've always loved those early Skylines, and I wish you all the best getting it going. I can truly say I feel for you. There just are not that many people in the world that are committed enough to do this work themselves. You’re truly an enthusiast.
Keep us posted.

Byron
Smokey1

Post by Smokey1 »

thanks for the pep talk sometimes i want to drive it in to the ocean and walk away. this is the first car ive ever restored so i dove head first and ooch did it hurt.

Updates to the site made a new page called Engines and updated the OLD CARS

http://www.freewebs.com/tiresmoke/
Smokey1

Post by Smokey1 »

i just watch the vids in that post that is what im going though times 10 WOW
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Have you decided on an engine you are going to use for the skyline? Are you just going to stick with the L28 or go RB. I have seen one of those skylines with an rb26det in it. Looked amazing. Yeah definately if i could have any car in the world it would probably have to be one of those with RB26 but naturally aspirated with ITBs and AWD but the only time i will ever see that is every night in my dreams!
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

defineatly don't give up. It will all pay off in the end. You should see what some hot rod guys go through to use a body thats 70 years old, now thats some rust replacement! My dad has been working on a 28 ford for 5 years and is just getting started with the final assembly, and he never really took a break on the project! But if you do give up, let me know and I will take the car off your hands, its one of my dream cars. How much did it cost you total (importing, original cost, etc.)?
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Mike_510

Post by Mike_510 »

Damn... I wish I had that beautiful machine. You can give it to me if you want. :lol:
zootowndime

Post by zootowndime »

Yeah defineatly don't give up man, build it back to original or better and it will be another classic that will be around for another 50 years or so if you take car of it. You will pretty much have a brand new Skyline man. Well not brand new R34 style but back then brand new. I think cars like that that go through all that restoration are by far superior to anything that is in these import magazines now days. Anybody could just slap on a body kit and throw on a turbo, but hardly any of those people would even consider doing the amount of work you have in front of you. I think it is cars like that that deserve the respect.
Alex King
www.brewedmotors.com
510rob

Post by 510rob »

man that car is so awesome that it deserves a Toyota 2JZ to be swapped into it
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

rob, are you trying to start something? or stir up some creative thinking? becuse you know it should get a RB26DETT.... duh!?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

me? start something? no, thank you...

just kicking up some dust and trying to get people to think out of the box a little bit. I know the RB26 is the "ideal engine" for this car, at least on paper anyway...
Smokey1

Post by Smokey1 »

well thanks for the replies and getting my back in the mind set of why i got the car
How much did it cost you total (importing, original cost, etc.)?
we are still in japan im in the USAF bringing it back will be free and it being 25 years or older no import laws

for the motor if i change it to a rb26 it will get the whole running gear of the r32 GTR,making it AWD

what i want to do is run a nissan V8 in it and run 8 of these throttle bodies standing up like volasity stacks
Imageand us megesquirt to run it
Smokey1

Post by Smokey1 »

here is the before and after of the rear window if you go to my page u can see between pics
http://www.freewebs.com/tiresmoke
Pierce

Post by Pierce »

that is one beautiful machine! i like the idea of the nissan v8 or what about the FX45 engine those have a really nice exhaust note.
1970 datsun 510
susp: setup for auto-x
engine: l20b
inteior: stock