LZ 23 .... nope KAZ23S

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

vgwagon wrote: Do you think you could grab that box for me?
Or take a pic?
Why yes, yes I can. Maybe this weekend if weather willing.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RacnJsn

Post by RacnJsn »

datzenmike wrote:I agree, the older the better chance. The distance is between centerline crankshaft and wrist pin I believe. I would have to see about pulling and measuring, I should be able to identify one way or the other with a difference of over 6mm. hope you are'nt in too much of a hurry. lol
Yup, center to center length is right. I'm not in a hurry, I've got time :) Any idea how much you would want for them if/when you ever get them pulled and compared?
510six

Post by 510six »

Thats good to know about the steering boxes.It`s tough finding good 510 ones anymore.I have a friend who has parts to mate a Napz 2.2 bottom end with a SOHC KA 12V head .I belive the setup has a turbo cam and a headgasket and custom forged turbo pistons for use with napz 2.0 152mm rods.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

datzenmike wrote:
Or take a pic?
Why yes, yes I can. Maybe this weekend if weather willing.

Thanks.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

510six wrote:Thats good to know about the steering boxes.It`s tough finding good 510 ones anymore.I have a friend who has parts to mate a Napz 2.2 bottom end with a SOHC KA 12V head .I belive the setup has a turbo cam and a headgasket and custom forged turbo pistons for use with napz 2.0 152mm rods.
vgwagon seems to think so, and I think it's close to possible... X your fingers. Yes the KA heads (the DE would be easiest) will fit all the Z and the L series blocks. I understand a turbo gasket... it has to withstand the extra pressure, and I understand turbo pistons, the same plus the heat, but I don't understand a turbo cam at all. Wouldn't a turbo cam be close to stock? Too much overlap and the turbo pressure just pushes past both open valves?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

RacnJsn wrote:
Yup, center to center length is right. I'm not in a hurry, I've got time :) Any idea how much you would want for them if/when you ever get them pulled and compared?
Well, if they are the ones you need, I'll give you them, you pay the freight/customs/duty, and if you are happy, you send me some cheddar for my trouble or whatever. I don't care.
RacnJsn

Post by RacnJsn »

datzenmike wrote:
RacnJsn wrote:
Well, if they are the ones you need, I'll give you them, you pay the freight/customs/duty, and if you are happy, you send me some cheddar for my trouble or whatever. I don't care.
Wow that would be awesome! Is freight/customs/duty a PITA or something? I've heard when you ship something internationally and you mark, or say it's a gift, they don't hassle you or something... Any truth in that?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I'm no expert on this, but doubtful. Anyway for now it's a mind exercise.
zuum510

Post by zuum510 »

datzenmike wrote:vgwagon seems to think so, and I think it's close to possible... X your fingers. Yes the KA heads (the DE would be easiest) will fit all the Z and the L series blocks. I understand a turbo gasket... it has to withstand the extra pressure, and I understand turbo pistons, the same plus the heat, but I don't understand a turbo cam at all. Wouldn't a turbo cam be close to stock? Too much overlap and the turbo pressure just pushes past both open valves?
You do mean the KA-E right? the DE is the Dual cam... Icehouse did a little experiment in that area and found it to be too much work I think. However the KA-E has been done already a few times, no KA-DEs done YET. The E is a near bolt on operation... NEAR. :D
1971 510 Wagon
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Thanks zuum that's a no brainer, yes the KA-E for sure.

There is a DE/L20B buildup on Oz Dat. Takes as long to read as to build but well worth it.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

vgwagon wrote:
datzenmike wrote:
Or take a pic?
Will try next w/end, tooooo rainy!
510six

Post by 510six »

It`s the E the SOHC KA motor, the pistons are forged and a turbo cam typically has lift but very little overlap usually on 112 to 113.5 lobe centers.For instance the turbo cam in my L series motor has .488 lift and 270/277* duration on 112.5 lobe centers.Still the combination would produce a torquey fairly high reving durable motor if put together right.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

KA24E or 12 valve motor, right. Turbo cam= high lift and low duration. Got it.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

RacnJsn wrote:You have a Z20e? Or there is on in the junkyard near you? I've been looking for some Z20E rods the 153.2mm or whatever they are ones for quite some time, but all we have around here is Z24s... What are the odds that you want to sell them? Or pull them for me if they're in a JY... I'll glady give you $$...
Well, (what a bitch to do in the rain) I pulled a piston/rod assy. from the '80 200sx this PM, took it home and measured it and got this...

Rod length from c/l of rod bearing to c/l of piston pin....152mm. I also measured the piston pin height as well and got about 32mm. This agrees very well with Jason Grey's published specs.of rod length at 152.5mm and piston height as 31.75mm. I didn't have my vernier and used a pocket tape, but the results speak for themselves... 152.5mm rods from a Z20E engine!!!!
RacnJsn

Post by RacnJsn »

That's awesome! I hope you did it in the rain just because you wanted to see what they really were, and not because I want them :) So is this YOUR 80 200sx? Or is it in a junkard somewhere?