LZ 23 .... nope KAZ23S

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5244
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby datzenmike » 02 Jan 2010 16:16

Sealik wrote:Thanks Mike....
Merlin......you stated that.....:BTW that injection set up and head i gave you was from a 4 plug z20e if i remember correctly..."
The only difference between the Z20E and Z22E EFI assembly is the head.....?
All (most) EFI components are the same...injectors... etc....?
If there is a difference in the Z20 air box to the Z22....it can be calibrated for a larger displacment engine by reducing the spring/coil tension....more air....more fuel.
Disregard any aforementioned info already know :) :)


The Canadian '80-'81 Z20E had single plug heads and switched to dual plugs with the Z22E motor, although in the US, all California Z20E and Z22E had dual plugs, while all other states switched to dual plugs in late '80 or certainly for '81 with the Z20E. (this is as near as I can figure it out from pieces of info) The Z20E (dual plug) and Z22E heads are the same as near as I can tell also, with the exception of the temp sensor being moved from the intake to just above the #1 exhaust plug for '81 Z20E head.

If there are differences in the EFI ...

The '81 Z20E had an O2 sensor input to the ECU. I don't know if this was a US only thing or if Canadian models only added it again with the Z22E motors.

The '81 Z20E throttle body was different from the '80 Z20E, looking somewhat like a 2 barrel design. '81 and on? were similar to the KA and VG.

Doug, I think you have shown that the Z20E air box could likely be clocked too allow for a larger displacement motor. However the ECU's do have a different number... one each for the man and auto and two different ones for the man and auto California ECUs (O2 sensor?)
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 02 Jan 2010 16:46

I see...
Ya.... I knew about the variations in the TBs and that this assembly didn't come with a O2 sensor.
When I checked my EPC.....my TB looked like the Z22E....so I assumed it came from the Z22E
Hmmmm....more to dwell apon.....I'll have to get the number off the ECU to confirm?
One would assume then that a Z20E ECU is limited and cannot be 'compensated' as the airbox can...for the larger Z24
Poop :shock:

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 02 Jan 2010 16:55

Just checked my EPC
All Z20E TBs from 80-82 have a plate behind....looks like a 2 barrel
All Z22E TBs from 80-82 have a plate behind....looks like a 1 barrel
Mine is (was) a 1 barrel
?
So....survey says....Z22E.....?

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 02 Jan 2010 17:15

Here's a pic of the single barrel....upper right
Well part of it....pic was downsized

Image

datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5244
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby datzenmike » 02 Jan 2010 17:27

I had one of each, two bbl from an '80 and a single from an '81 Z20E. Sold the dual one to Matt (HRH) on Ratsun. Still have the single and the ECU if you want to try it it's yours, an '81.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

User avatar
merlin
Supporter
Posts: 1514
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 11:37
Location: clearwater BC
Contact:

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby merlin » 02 Jan 2010 17:28

it did come off a car with a 4 plug head, no? you still have the head I think... were there any 4 plug z22e's?
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"

datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5244
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby datzenmike » 02 Jan 2010 17:36

I don't think so. Canada only had the 4 plug ('80 Z20E) because the emission standards weren't as high as the US. The US adopted the dual plug in '81 and Canada followed the next year when the Z22E came out. Well this is as I understand it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

User avatar
merlin
Supporter
Posts: 1514
Joined: 18 Feb 2004 11:37
Location: clearwater BC
Contact:

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby merlin » 02 Jan 2010 17:40

datzenmike wrote:I don't think so. Canada only had the 4 plug ('80 Z20E) because the emission standards weren't as high as the US. The US adopted the dual plug in '81 and Canada followed the next year when the Z22E came out. Well this is as I understand it.



I pulled that head and EFI stuff at least 5 years ago from the Picka a Part in Edmonton... Distinctly remember it being a 80 200sx 4 plug, and a Z20e... I used to go there and buy matchbox dizzys all the time for 15 bucks :wink:
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 02 Jan 2010 17:53

datzenmike wrote:I had one of each, two bbl from an '80 and a single from an '81 Z20E. Sold the dual one to Matt (HRH) on Ratsun. Still have the single and the ECU if you want to try it it's yours, an '81.

So..... I'm gonna assume my crack investigative work is a bust :lol: :lol: :lol:
IE.... the EPC is incorrect on the info I supplied
Mike ......the ECU you have is still from a 81 Z20E.......wouldn't that be somewhat the same as the '80' I have?
I should be shooting for the Z22E....correct?

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 02 Jan 2010 18:09

A friend in (this) town has a automotive exhaust gas analyzer.......this should somewhat tell me if the ECU/engine is performing to it's capabilities.
Correct?
Setting the airbox at the same time of course.

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11684
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Byron510 » 02 Jan 2010 21:15

merlin wrote:
datzenmike wrote:I don't think so. Canada only had the 4 plug ('80 Z20E) because the emission standards weren't as high as the US. The US adopted the dual plug in '81 and Canada followed the next year when the Z22E came out. Well this is as I understand it.



I pulled that head and EFI stuff at least 5 years ago from the Picka a Part in Edmonton... Distinctly remember it being a 80 200sx 4 plug, and a Z20e... I used to go there and buy matchbox dizzys all the time for 15 bucks :wink:


Merlin, just FYI - the EFI wagon I built that is now in your yard had all the EFI bits from an 8 plug Z22E installed on the LZ22- right back to the fuel pump.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5244
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby datzenmike » 02 Jan 2010 22:05

Sealik wrote:
datzenmike wrote:IE.... the EPC is incorrect on the info I supplied
Mike ......the ECU you have is still from a 81 Z20E.......wouldn't that be somewhat the same as the '80' I have?
I should be shooting for the Z22E....correct?


Doug I was looking at the same thing and it looks to me like the 16175 N8500 and N8501,N8503 cover to 07'80 (end of '80 model, dual?) and there is a different number 16175 N8560 from then till 06 '81 (single?) which begins the Z22 motor. What cha think?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 03 Jan 2010 08:50

datzenmike wrote:
Sealik wrote:
datzenmike wrote:IE.... the EPC is incorrect on the info I supplied
Mike ......the ECU you have is still from a 81 Z20E.......wouldn't that be somewhat the same as the '80' I have?
I should be shooting for the Z22E....correct?


Doug I was looking at the same thing and it looks to me like the 16175 N8500 and N8501,N8503 cover to 07'80 (end of '80 model, dual?) and there is a different number 16175 N8560 from then till 06 '81 (single?) which begins the Z22 motor. What cha think?

Just looked at that too. Well.....I know what I'm gonna do today :idea:
Stick a battery in my ST, back it out of the 'shop' and have a look at the numbers on the ECU.
No doubt I'll have to pull it..... :(
See how she 'fire's with no air regulator

datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5244
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby datzenmike » 03 Jan 2010 09:27

If you post the ECU numbers I can check them to see what they are out of for you. I have a list from '75-'93
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

User avatar
Sealik
Posts: 236
Joined: 15 Dec 2009 19:41
Location: Clearwater Canada

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Postby Sealik » 03 Jan 2010 09:41

Yes...shall post the numbers ASAP
Going outside in 5


Return to “Non PL510 Projects”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest