LZ 23 .... nope KAZ23S

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
icehouse

Re: LZ 23 (E?) Make that Z24 (E)

Post by icehouse » 26 Sep 2008 22:27

Dude I still haven't looked at my truck to see what the good ECU number is.... I know we have a few but they are all the shitty number ones... We also have a header for that motor, I don't know if your interested in it or not just thought I would tell you. You would have to work something out with Jason to get it, shipping big stuff the Canada is a pain from what I hear from Carter.

We need more outside shots of the truck!!! Drive it up a stump or something, maybe a first person shot while driving :D

O and that pic you posted of the engine in the red engine bay is a SR, most likely a B13
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 26 Sep 2008 22:43

Hey Jason,

Yes and no. Haven't bought any gas for way over a year and I really like bikin' to work. The insurance runs out in less than two weeks. Might as well use up the gas and iron out a few bugs. But, yes it's cooler and damper. Wore my gloves this week on the ride in, even needed my flashing tail light it was so dark at 6:45.

Of to the wreckers tomorrow to look at a Pathfinder axle. 4.625 ratio. Mostly I want some measurements on the axle lengths, I have something in mind.

Hi Jeff.
Beebani has one for me but he gets too busy, so I'm still waiting. Those ECU can be re-programed can't they. What's the term... re-flashed? To raise the rev limit. PIx? I don't know, the body is getting rusty. I have a front clip I cut from another '78 with good fenders. Nice rad support and inner fenders, I have to get painted... some day.
Last edited by datzenmike on 26 Sep 2008 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 26 Sep 2008 22:49

Next time I'm down to the states I could pick up the ecu for Mike from you Jeff, Skip has a MAF and TPS for me right now I have to come down and get.
Jason

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 26 Sep 2008 22:51

Well, no sense in letting her sit Mike, you spent the year getting her ready to drive right! 'Sides, isn't it time to be stocking up on firewood?
Jason

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 26 Sep 2008 23:07

I try to get the wood in the spring and split and stacked before it gets to warm to do it. Has to be dried for 4-5 months longer if possible for best burning. This year I split up some rounds I've had for almost two years under a tarp. I thought it would be moldy, but dry as can be. Borrowed a truck for two loads but I'll be short this year. My wife got our son to install the wiring for baseboard heaters in the living room that's normally wood heated. My son's and electrician now. The wood stove is for when it gets really cold or weekends when I'm home to feed it. Next year will be better. The truck will be running so all I have to do is insure it when I find any wood.

I don't know if Jeff has one for me, but he said he'd check the numbers on the one he has so I'd be able to compare to any I do find so I get the 'good kind'.

Jason if I stop riding I'll gain 50 lbs for sure. I use a huge amount of calories every day working out doors plus the 8-10 miles a day riding. I eat constantly! I would have to taper off gradually :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 26 Sep 2008 23:33

Electricity and wood has to better than what we're going through here Mike. We're still on oil so we use about 1600 - 2400 litres per year depending on the temperature and if some low life helps himself to our stash. Lost 200 litres or so to thieves last year ...

I got myself a bike this year, a folding, one speed bike with a 24V electric motor and 2 x 7 amp hour batteries to run it. It's good for about 8 km or so under power at about 10-12km/hr. I have a pair of 17 am hour batteries to try which should get me 20 km or so. Even in Richmond I'm too lazy to pedal and it won't work for commuting as I've gotta get the kid to school by 8:45am which is 20km away ...

Don't worry about getting bigger Mike, all mammals gain weight in the fall you know :wink: !
Jason

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 26 Sep 2008 23:58

Yeah, pack it on and then den up till april. I wish.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 25 Oct 2008 19:40

Well the ECU should be on it's way to me in a few days. As for the Path LSD I bought the whole axle! Removed the axles, LSD diff, torched the coil mounts, four link and panhard bar mounts off and smoothed and rust painted the housing and stored it. Later I'll weld leaf spring perches on it. This will add 3" to the width at the back but the 'yoda front is already an inch wider per side and there are plans for 4Runner hubs and FJ-60 vented rotors so both widths should be a lot closer than I thought.

BTW got pics of the diff... H-233 or almost 9 1/4".

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Doesn't look like there is room for clutches. Also there are the two side gears but looks like multiple sets of spider gears. Hard to tell if there are two pairs or four pairs. Would this be a torsen ? I've heard it called a Helical or HLSD.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .gif[/img]

Turn the drive shaft wheels turn same direction, turn one wheel the other turns same direction, lock one wheel can't turn the other even with a prybar. Has LSD sticker on the 'bum'.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 08 Dec 2008 16:33

Time for an up date:

Instead of using the 200sx throttle body, I'll be using the one from a KA motor. Why not, KA and Z24 are the same size and I've heard it has a similar fuel map, perhaps running just a touch lean at speed. The KA throttle body has a 6.34mm larger diameter, enough to be easily seen side by side:

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

Good old Nissan. They kept the same bolt pattern so just a matter of bolting the KA onto the Z20 plenum.

But first a 1/8" trim to increase the diameter so there is no lip to obstruct flow. I scribed a line in the soft aluminum.

I used my Armstrong horizontal milling machine and Popeye laser level to get similar if not exact results.

I used a series of very rough wood rasps to show the high spots and 'milled' them down with the drill and carbide cutter. When done the sides are blended into the interior walls and smoothed with rough sandpaper.

Fits like a hot damn! Z24E here we come.

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin » 08 Dec 2008 20:11

I gave the guy up in clearwater that same 200sx efi set up complete wit the 4 plug head.... hope he does the same thing with it...
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"

Sealik

Post by Sealik » 01 Jan 2010 15:13

merlin wrote:I gave the guy up in clearwater that same 200sx efi set up complete wit the 4 plug head.... hope he does the same thing with it...
Yes he did....here are a few pics
The beginning.....without the VG TB

Here's the Z24 head....had to grind with a mirror to see what I was doing.

And the truck of course....:)

Sealik

Post by Sealik » 01 Jan 2010 15:28

Replaced the stock 200sx TB with a VG30E TB....nearly a perfect fit

Here's a pic of a Z22 head......bought a jet/grinding bit to match the profile.

Oh......and yes.......Hello to all members here.
Need to post some querys on tuning, injectors....etc
Thanks

Doug.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 01 Jan 2010 15:58

Hi Doug, welcome to the Realm! Nice work on the FI conversion! How's it run now?
Jason

Sealik

Post by Sealik » 01 Jan 2010 16:27

Thanks Jason

Well...it's parked for the winter.
But.....before that and the VG upgrade....
When I would putt off road for a few kilometers....(4x4 and all :mrgreen: )....and then punch it.....would get a puff of black/blue(?) smoke out the tail pipe. That's the only time it would do that.
The air box 'clock' was set at 3 positions CCW.....relative to 0 for a stock 200sx config.
Could have contributed to the smoke? Too rich?
Then I noticed one injector holder was cracked and no 1 injector was leaking.....
Replaced all the the holders.....reassemble.... injector is NFG... :( ..leaks
So......I'm not sure if this had anything to do with any prior issues.
Parked the truck.....swapped the TBs and set the airbox 'clock' to 1 position CCW....now it sits till spring.
But......I need to replace one injector.....so....replace them all?........Ebay?
Can buy 4 reconditioned ones for 120 bucks....

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 01 Jan 2010 16:32

Arghh... what a pain eh! I've got to take 4 injectors in for cleaning and testing next week also. I'll let you know how it goes as it for a Z22e also ...
Jason