"The Shed"

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Byron510

Re: "The Shed"

Post by Byron510 »

After getting the jack update completed, I took back some banana shaped fence posts I bought a few months back, and picked up my first order of building material. The raiser worked great and as intended – the forklift driver at the building supplies outfit thanked me for building this. He says guys after bring in a trailed and expect a load dropped without hurting the load or the trailer, which is pretty tough to do. This lift of material will be used for the footings. The form rental company will drop off that load of supplies tomorrow or Tuesday. I’ll spend some time this morning distributing the wood and rebar around the excavation to start building the forms on Tuesday with the contractor.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_3232 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3232 (Medium).JPG (246.41 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Byron, Jamie laid out the wall studs for me so I knew where to stub all the electrical up when we did my foundation, devils in the details...

Great progress!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's funny that you mention this - dad and I were looking at the drawings today, trying to figure out how to best stud the corner so that minimal heat transfer is done, and of course stud layout including electrical. I would like to align the load points of the trusses to be directly over the wall studs as well, so i need to figure stud spacing out.

Jason, I be in contact about buying the electrical conduit for running under the footings at minimum.

Bought a miter saw today (Bosche GCM12SD) and a Dwalt stand with wheels today to do the job with. It'll be a well-used tool very soon.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was so tired and hurting last night when I came in for dinner at 9:30 – by the time I had a shower and ate – I was done!

Progress went well yesterday, the footing forms were laid out according to the engineer’s details, and I finished the evening off pounding stakes into my incredibly hard clay. This morning the contractor and I will level the forms, the forms show up later this morning and by tomorrow the site will look a bit different. We'll also get the steel/rebar tied and hung and the man door forms finished.

We’ve scheduled the surveyor inspection, engineer’s inspection and the city inspection for early next week. Pour is scheduled for Thursday, unfortunately I won’t be here for that process as I have prior engagements that day.

Right now I'm leaving to go pick up my all steel comercial door and frame - McShagger meeting me to help me move it onto my trailer.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_3247.JPG
IMG_3247.JPG (119.24 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
IMG_3248.JPG
IMG_3248.JPG (125.71 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
IMG_3249.JPG
IMG_3249.JPG (142.63 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
tr6racer21
Supporter

Post by tr6racer21 »

Good Progress Byron!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I didn't take a photo, but the forms are up for the most part, Block outs are finished, man door roughed in in the forms, all of the services are through the foundation including conduits for electrical (3”), water (2”), 2X individual data (3/4”, 14” apart) and a 2” drain for the washing sink. I plan to eventually run city line pressure to the ¾ water line and a service hydrant both at the house and garage, so it will be plumbed accordingly.

I picked up the man door last week – McShagger got out of bed early to meet me at the site in Vancouver to help me lift it onto my trailer – thanks man, definitely would not have moved that on my own! But I needed to door dimensions to block out the forms in the foundation pour as the man door will be somewhat inset into the concrete. It’ll be secure, there’ll be no kicking this one down!

The surveys come by this morning, my engineer will inspect the work afterwards, then tomorrow or Wednesday the city will sign off on the work and all going well the concrete pump truck and crew are ready to go Thursday, then the forms get stripped off Friday.

For now, here are some photos of the forms being transferred to my trailer in order to get them into the back yard (trailed with front mounted hitch on the truck is working awesome for this transportation in and out of the my back yard), and the man door that will be used.
Attachments
IMG_3251.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG (154.59 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
IMG_3252.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG (130.04 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
IMG_3253.JPG
IMG_3253.JPG (108.49 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here are some shots of the footings. Here you can see the services that will come through conduits, with exception of the ABS drain going out.
The water will be 3/4" PEX coming up through a 2" PCV electrical sweep up the center of the foundation, the electrical has a 3" sweep (36" radius is huge, and sched 40 thickness too!). And a couple of 3/4" PCV sweeps for future considerations - placed 12" apart in case co-ax would ever be used - but it's highly unlikely.

Byron
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (147.01 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (144.88 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

And you can make out where the man door is also roughed in here.

You can also see that this footing is 24" wide where the other 3 are 18" wide. This is future building consideration should I want to build 20' to the left of this photo for increased space. The engineering didn't cost more, but it's there and the added concrete is a pittance compared to what is already in place!

Byron
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (166.3 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (163.67 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Did you consider heating the floor hydronically? Great idea on the expansion preparation.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

two_68_510s wrote:Did you consider heating the floor hydronically? Great idea on the expansion preparation.
It was considered, and if I used the shop every day it would be done. However in all likelihood, I'll use the shop a few hours a day, maybe a few days a week, And at that rate, I can fire up a gas heater and the shop will be worm in a matter of minutes, where the floor heating would take hours.

However I will insulate the slab with 1 1/2" minimum Styrofoam – maybe 2” if it’ll do some more good. My father did this on his place on his home “reno”, and you can lay on that slab in the middle of winter and it's not cold. This is of course in combination with the vapor barrier that is mandatory and sealed to the footing walls.

Having worked in both types of shops, I prefer the gas space heater method, but I have never worked on a well-insulated floor so I look forward to that! :-)

Byron
gooned

Post by gooned »

I can confirm that 10kw of unit heaters sucks come bill time, but for the little time I'm out there they heat the space up fast. Two ceiling fans to get the heat down off the 13' ceiling too...

Got the footing poured yet?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The surveyor and the engineer came by Monday, signed off on the paperwork. Engineer said the work looked great - I have the right contractor on the job!
The paperwork was submitted by the surveyors to land title and registries office and came back Tuesday by 10am; call the city inspectors.
City inspector cam by today - apparently the guy that everyone warns you about.... and he wrote down in his comments that everything looked very good. Awesome - I really do have the right contractor!! :-)

The pour happens tomorrow am, and the weather is holding out so that is good. Concreter pump truck confirmed, 2 placers/finishers confirmed, Lafarge mix confirmed. Vibrator rented…. Dad the sidewalk foreman on hand… I sure hope it’s all in place.

Rain forecast for Friday when we the forms get stripped. I'll post photos over the weekend.

Byron
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Enjoying this thread Byron! Good luck with the pour!
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

I too am enjoying your thread Byron. Interesting to see and hear about the process from the ground up, heh.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Good Luck tomorrow with the pour Byron. Cement work, for me anyway, is a hell of a lot of fun. If possible best to do is cover it with wet burlap bags and sprinkle water to keep it moist, this keeps it from drying out to fast and can actually save you from cracks. I've never done it that way but here at the Nuke Plant That!!! is how they did it and still do it. Don't forget once dry to lay down some cement sealer, it'll keep it clean. Keep the surface a bit ruff so it isn't slippery when/if it gets wet I did this with my 30x26 two story garage. My neighbors floor is smooth and when wet it's slick.

Have Fun!!!

Lou "Here's Mud in your eye, so wear safety glasses doh!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon