How about music

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

Byron510 wrote: how about the Dayglow Abortions
or...throbbing gristle.

defdes, ever see henry rollins cruising around?
met him a few times backstage, and ran into him on the boardwalk in the late 90's, vaguely remebered me from blackies/starwood. very cool guy.
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

Good to see I'm not the only one heavily influenced by punk rock. I have to admit I did have my metal phase growing up. I've seen too many punk shows to start listing them. I have all my ticket stubs and plan on framing them one day, except I keep collecting more. I love all the bands you guys have mentioned. Defdes, I'm sure you must have some good stories from your hardcore days, you mind sharing?
Scott
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

another stub collector 8) i have 2 shoe boxes full
i wish i had some from the shows i was at, or even the flyers. my friend used to make flyers for the angry samoans
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Whats this i here that bc place stadium roof caved in (means no more concerts there) :shock:
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

scotth510 wrote: Defdes, I'm sure you must have some good stories from your hardcore days, you mind sharing?
Scott
Unfortunately, most is a big blur. We had Keith Morris and I think Zander over to sleep at some of the band members g.f.s house after a show in Boston. A very drunken all nighter, punctuated by periods of nudity (G version).
Smoked alot of pot with Meat Puppets, we toured New England with them, Bostrom (drummer, me too) kept the Brothers Kirkwood in line who were prone to drunken naked (again) tirades on stage. But a very talented group of players. Them and the Minutemen were by far my favorites, they loved to party and were genuinely very nice guys, and when George Hurley complemented me on my playing, I was stoked because he was one of my idols. We did play with Black Flag (Hang510) and I found rollins un approachable, not into my beer swilling and pot smoking I guess, maybe he was just having early roid rage.Played with the Bad Brains too during their reunion in '88. I cut my teeth on them in clubs in New York in '79- '80, That was when New York City was fun and you could get into clubs and drink when you were 14 (I was tall for my age).
All for now, gotta get back to work...
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

Defdes, that sounds like good old fashioned fun. I'm not sure about the nudity, but for some reason that seems to be what went on at punk shows back in the day. Sounds like me and you would have got on famously, but I was but a wee lad during the hey day of punk! Anybody else have any good "met a musician, concert experiences" they would like to share, I'm all ears. Most of my experiences are rather tame besides my own drunkeness. I did run into El Hefe from Nofx at warped tour back when it was worth going to.I believe he was trying to score some weed or something, can't really remember. Anyways, I'll try and clear the cobwebs from my brain and come up with a story or two.
Scott
DO IT, IN A DATSUN.
1968 4DR Sedan
VIN PL-001796
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Hmmm, looks like a bunch of us all have another metal hobby in common besides cars!

Best show I saw was Iron Maiden in 1987 for their somewhere on tour show... ridiculous laser battle across the coliseum with non stop flash pots = fun times. Guns and Roses opened up for that show and they were a drunken mess but good show. I saw D.O.A. open for David Lee Roth's band once - that was AWESOME! Pantera with openers Trouble was good at the Commodore. Suicidal Tendencies with Exodus was another good show. QUOTSA always put on a good show. Another highlight was Cannibal Corpse & Immolation... Napalm Death was another freaking awesome show... I saw Corrosion of Conformity play at "The New York Theater" on Commercial Drive once (it because the Raja Theater, playing Bollywood films). My dad used to work for CBC, so I got to meet a few bands like Alice in Chains (saw them play live a couple of times - great band), Van Halen (Sammy Hagar is an awesome guy!), and the highlight of all the meet and greets was Mitsou (the french canadian pop singing girl - stunning!)

I saw Anthrax open up for Kiss at the coliseum once

I don't even remember all the bands anymore... I saw Motley Crue a bunch of times, and almost every band of the 80's, saw them...

James got me to go to a Dayglo Abortions show about 2 years ago.... then 2 weeks later we went to see Death Sentence! I missed both of those bands back in the day, but finally seeing them was worth the wait... We found out that SNFU played the weekend between those two shows (too bad we missed that but I saw them tons of times back in the day so no worries)

Oh yeah, Byron never mentions this but he used to play drums so I got him to play drums and I grabbed the guitar and we had all little jam session just for shits and giggles... we attempted to play some old Iron Maiden for old time's sake...

(I kept a few of the old guitar amps, and my drumset, and some PA equipment - anyone want to have a big rockin' party at the All Nissan Slalom this year out at Boundary Bay?)
Last edited by 510rob on 06 Jan 2007 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That was a bit of a flash back jam session, Rob. We should do it again! You forget a lot after not being behind the set for 20 years. I loved playing the drums – it was an energy outlet if nothing else and that was good for me. I played a few instruments in my teens and early 20’s. I loved playing the blues and some jazz on my tenor sax – I still have it. And I did take guitar for a couple years, just never stuck with it and gave the guitar away years ago. Started too much racing of cars, left no time for the music. It’s a shame in a way, but I have no regrets!
I was also at that same Maiden concert Rob, but I was so far back that the laser fight between the huge mechanical Eddie (walking around the stage) and Bruce, was hard to see. But what a great show. I don't even remember G&R opening for that gig.
I saw David Lee Roth in Edmonton at the Northland Coliseum on his first solo tour without Van Halen - but he played a lot of Van Halen stuff anyways. That was an awesome show. I was seated in front of one of the stacks, my ears rung for a week!
I also saw Iron Maiden on the Powerslave tour at that coliseum as well. I also think I saw Bon Jovi open for Judas Priest at that Coliseum, but I don’t remember much else.
But I wasn't just a metal head. To be honest, the best concert that I ever saw - for quality of music in the show, was Phil Collins. Honestly, he had about 6 other singers come up on stage with him through out the show, had no opening act, switched from singing to drums all the time, had a 360 degree stage and the sound was great. I believe that show was at the PNE forum.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
caesarDX

Post by caesarDX »

Byron510 wrote: I was also into very alternative "electronic" as it became. Vangelis, Kraftwerk, The Art of Noise before Peter Gun put them on the map. Any body remember the song Living on Video? Byron
Ah yes.. I do remember vividly... Living on Video, Trans-X, 3d Dance,
Gazebo, Masterpiece, I like Chopin, Bobby Orlando productions, the Flirts,
Danger, Passion, Ken Laszlo, Hey Hey Guy... definitely techno..
Gee Byron, you music slut! I am too.. I also like Dusty Springfield from
the 60's. Check out You Tube video's all these old videos are on there...

Remember Cable 10 - Nite Dreams ?

Didn't know you were into such a variety of music. I play the electric guitar... let's start a garage band. We will chat next time.
1984 Renault R5 Turbo2 - L' Enfant Terrible
1989 BMW E30 M3 "God's Chariot"
2001 Renault Clio V6 Sport Phase 1
1999 Nissan Skyline R34 GTR V-Spec
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I'm suprised all this talk of electronica doesn't include at least some mention of Tangerine Dream! I'm going to put on the Poland record...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have LOTS of Tangerine Dream.....

Vangelis=BLADE RUNNER

I also burned one for Byron a few years ago, Andreas Vollenweider, called : Down to the Moon..interesting stuff.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

This is good to see i am not the only audiophile around,I like my tunes,have 5 vehicles and every one has a cd in it and the house well ,its a bit loud, :twisted:
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:510freak
The early Run DMC Stuff was funny. Early Beastie Boys also. Fat Boys ealry LL Cool J and other Def Jam recording artist.

But NO I dont listen to Gangster Rap or want any affilation to them or their lifestyle. So Now You can say if i go down town(Shacky Town) I have ez acces to fine German steel
Well i bet you listened to some easy e then in the day? He was down to earth in the lyrics in the day
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

oh yeh the beasties you have to fight for your right was a good one,
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

And still is, Lou!!
I can't believe how much Beastie Boyz are still played on the radio. I also have License to Ill on Vinyl - crazy stuff. My vinyl collection isn't huge, but it's a broad spectrum. And it seams that many are worthy of note. I guess I had a good ear for sound as I approached, and fell into, my teens! I know I started my record collection in 1981, I was in grade three. None of my friends of the time would spend money on music; they'd blow it on candy and cheap toys. I shoveled sidewalks (Edmonton) and mowed lawns (Edmonton and Vancouver) to buy my collection – it was hard earned. Records were gone by 1986 in my area; I think one of the last pieces of vinyl I bought was either Iron Maiden’s Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or REM’s Green. I know these were the last two pieces of vinyl that I bought new. I remember that time, I hated the fact that CD’s were so much more than vinyl, and there was no way I could afford the player (neither could my parents), I started buying cassettes, and they’ve all disappeared into murky, blurry, bass only sounds. The records clearly lasted the years, but I lost a huge chunk of my music collection with the degradation of the magnetic storage variety. And I have to thank my father, who was absolutely anal about how to treat a piece of vinyl, for really teaching me how to take care of a record. Rob can attest, every one of my copies is in a plastic sleeve, not just the vinyl, but the jacket as well. Now how many guys here don't know what a jacket is? - And it's not something you wear!
I'm like’in this thread!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.