No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510rob

Re: moar good videos :P

Post by 510rob »

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Beatelis sinktominimus, aka Subterranean bug. Sounds like one pissed off insect though :shock: DAMN!
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It's not involving 510's, but there are some very typical club racer errors made in this crash compilation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIctGPoLu7g

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

did you read the comments to that clip :lol: those two were going at it.

looks like he gunned it, cut the wheel for some reason, and didn't feather his brakes so the rear end momentum came out in front. under-estimated his power to weight ratio.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

In my 30 plus years of slaloming, I have seen many crashes like that, roll overs, major ditch explorations, you name it. His speed is deceiving..until he hits the curb. Trailing throttle over steer...

that's where course design should come into play.

We had a Corvette here blow through a stop box, cross the pre-grid area, and climb the ONLY POST within 30',
driver error, her brain faded or something, but, she hit the gas instead of the brake...and she was a seasoned slalomer.

Most bizarre SLOW speed one roll over I ever witnessed, was a STOCK 510. On a hard corner, the car bounced on the soft suspension, the front tire just tucked under, and the car just tipped over onto it's roof. It ultimately had the roof cut off, made into a convertible Mod car, with a blow through Weber sidedraft on it.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

bertvorgon wrote:In my 30 plus years of slaloming, I have seen many crashes like that, roll overs, major ditch explorations, you name it. His speed is deceiving..until he hits the curb. Trailing throttle over steer...

that's where course design should come into play.

We had a Corvette here blow through a stop box, cross the pre-grid area, and climb the ONLY POST within 30',
driver error, her brain faded or something, but, she hit the gas instead of the brake...and she was a seasoned slalomer.

Most bizarre SLOW speed one roll over I ever witnessed, was a STOCK 510. On a hard corner, the car bounced on the soft suspension, the front tire just tucked under, and the car just tipped over onto it's roof. It ultimately had the roof cut off, made into a convertible Mod car, with a blow through Weber sidedraft on it.
I think this was posted on the BB list a while back, and I thought the same thing. Course designer should have seen that coming.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

I like how there is still a WRX(?) on the track well after the crash. Duh.

Here is a vid from 1982 at the Knox Mountain Hill Climb that has that convertible 510.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrW7manrxmQ

Hey Keith is that you at the 4:58 mark??
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 5.12.24 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 5.12.24 PM.jpg (62.79 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 5.12.05 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 5.12.05 PM.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 5.13.08 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 5.13.08 PM.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Pit crew must still be having breakfast somewhere, that or he needs to get himself some smaller nuts… :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwf2JWcgg8
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

proflex wrote:Pit crew must still be having breakfast somewhere, that or he needs to get himself some smaller nuts… :lol:
WTF? maybe he swapped his street wheels at the track and didn't torque the aluminum wheels enough? thats crazy.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

WOW...I have never seen my car at Knox pre-flares!!!!!!!!

Yes, that is me, that is the hand painted side stripe, with SPECIALTY ENGINEERING written at the rear. That was my first year running Knox, I placed second to the Camero, who did a time of 2:02, which became my first goal to beat.

Here are a couple of early pictures of my car, one taken during the painting of the stripes, by a fellow named Crazy Randal, he is the artist who designed the Turbo Turtle.

This was the year before my crash at Westwood.

THANKS FOR FINDING THAT JAME'S

I also notice that there is a hand painted Turbo turtle on the rear 1/4 window, I still have that glass in the Bert Vorgon archives
Attachments
ONLY PICTURE i TOOK OF MY CAR AFTER THE CRASH. AT ANDY'S SHOP.
ONLY PICTURE i TOOK OF MY CAR AFTER THE CRASH. AT ANDY'S SHOP.
scan0014.jpg (191.45 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG (145.7 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
HAND PAINTED GRAPHIC.jpg
HAND PAINTED GRAPHIC.jpg (172.78 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

finn wrote:
proflex wrote:Pit crew must still be having breakfast somewhere, that or he needs to get himself some smaller nuts… :lol:
WTF? maybe he swapped his street wheels at the track and didn't torque the aluminum wheels enough? thats crazy.
I think I remember hearing he had lug nuts that either did not have enough thread engagement or were not compatible with the lug seat on the wheels he was using.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

HudsonMC wrote:
finn wrote:
I think I remember hearing he had lug nuts that either did not have enough thread engagement or were not compatible with the lug seat on the wheels he was using.
Close to the end of the clip, a guy does say, "they are the wrong size - won't work".
If he was referring to the lug nuts, then that might be the answer. Notice that the wheels looked new - no dirt/brake dust even on the backside of the wheels.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »