11/11/11 - Never Forget

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
rnorrish

11/11/11 - Never Forget

Post by rnorrish »

http://vimeo.com/31145346

it's worth the 3 mins to watch it.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
iceD

Re: 11/11/11 - Never Forget

Post by iceD »

Very well done, and a homage to all grandparents. Both my parents served in WWII and we really can't understand what they went through. Leaving for war as mere children, and returning as grizzled veterans, but really still mere children. Thank you for our freedom.

ice D
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Art
Attachments
Art_Hughs.jpg
Art_Hughs.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

My wife had told me she’d seen Art in a commercial the other day on the news – it was a nice surprise to see him here tonight in his full uniform that he so preciously keeps perfect and still proudly wears on special occasions after all these years.

Thanks Rich

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I never forget... KENNETH O.LAW JAN. 4, 1925 - SEPT 30.2007

This year I re-did my Dad's shadow box, as after his death, I had to go through all the family things. I found more of his personal effects from the War. I found his RCAF ring, his watch ( signed my his Mom and Dad in 1943 ), and some "Sweet heart" pins, which I cleaned up. His medals had to be polished and re-ribboned. My good friend Evan, who is quite the military historian, gave me the beautiful Crest to put in the box.

My Dad started the War as an AG..Air Gunner...which is what the wing crest is, but, due to his hobby of photography, the military was desperate for people who had dark room experience. This likely saved his life, as the air crew experience for bombers was not good. He ended up in the large bombers that did the high photography, end then did the photo interpretation of the damage, etc.. He took flak some times, but, they were high enough to avoid most. The others in his squadron did the low level, gun camera stuff, in Mustangs.

His photo collection he brought back is just amazing, as the lens quality and film stock was the best there was. I have a project of scanning in all his photos next time I go up Island.

My Dad was with the #430 Squadron 39R wing, which did most of the Aeriel surveillance as the War moved from England to France, then for him through Belgium, Holland, and then finally Germany. As he was in the photo end of the Group, he was tasked with the horrendous job of documenting on film the horrors of the Belsen death camp, along with the other "routine" nightmares of War. THAT..never left my Dad...and I take my hat off for him today, as he and so many others gave their time and their lives, to keep for us what we have today.
Attachments
finished shadow box November 11, 2011
finished shadow box November 11, 2011
IMGP2693_1024x577.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
IMGP2680_433x768.jpg
IMGP2680_433x768.jpg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

good work. never forget...
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
jason
Supporter

I went to visit a friend yesterday downtown ...

Post by jason »

I went to visit an old friend, Art Hughes, downtown yesterday and spent some time with him. He's spent the past week and more at this spot, honouring his friends and comrades and remembering them. He was dressed in full battledress, wearing all of his medals as erect and proud as the first day he put on the uniform. He still fits that uniform amazingly well for a man of 80.

Here's a picture of him talking to another veteran ...

For those of you who don't know Art, he's been a member of the 510 Club of BC for many years now and just recently sold his immaculate blue 4 door 510 to a like minded enthusiast in the United States. As I stood talking to him he could only say how excited he was to attend Canby next year, even if he didn't have the car any longer ... Perhaps one of us could give him a lift ...

As we chatted there on his corner some of the crew of the cruiser "Varyag" and the support ship "Irkutsk" happened along and Art made sure that they all received a poppy! The task group is docked at the Port of Vancouver for a port call, the first Russian naval vessels to visit Vancouver in 35 years and will be participating in the Remembrance Day ceremonies today. They are also open for visits for their time here.

The old and the new, both representing all of those things that make our lives what they are now. Thank all of you ladies and gentleman for your service and sacrifice, never forget them ...
Jason
510rob

Post by 510rob »

WW1 - my great grandfather

WW2 - my grandfather

In the collection of what is left of my grandfather's WW2 uniform & kit, two items struck me. The water bottle vs. the holster; a source of life, and a source of death.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Time to Remember......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Haven't seen this thread before. Thanks to the contributors. Some nice stuff in here that I am not familiar with as an American.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I spent Remembrance Day marching with about 100 scouts from our 1st Haney Scout group, all a sections - Colony, Pack, Troop, Patrol and all section section leaders. It’s a big part of our weekend, as well do a ceremony at the church that our group has been part of now for 90 years, to honour our veterans. Then on Remembrance Day, our group, along with over a dozen area groups march and gather with veterans, the RCMP, multiple auxiliaries and of course the cadets at our city cenotaph for the local ceremony and reading of the names of those lost in WW1, 2 and the Korean War. This year we were even graced with a low fly over by three WW2 planes. We take it seriously, and personally Art is always there with me. I’ll never forget him in uniform downtown doing his poppy run.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.