PORCHES BUSTED ON SEA TO SKY

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

PORCHES BUSTED ON SEA TO SKY

Post by bertvorgon » 08 Aug 2012 07:45

On Saturday morning, early, Matt and I headed up to Whistler for our annual epic trail ride. On the Sea to Sky, on one of our favorite twisty bits, we come upon 4 Porsche's being loaded onto tow trucks. Not sure what the posted is.... 80 KM there, so many stupid speed zones on that gorgeous highway, it is hard to keep track.

At any rate, it hit me there...and is it just me...my apathy this year for driving the 510. It is impossible now to go anywhere, and think you may be safe to even pick up the pace a tad. Or, if in a group, to potentially be tarred with racing.

This particular section, I know we tend to run at 100 - 110 KM, just a nice pace for us, feel some G's in the corners. Now......your car is gone for the week, fine, plus storage, plus drivers license points.

On the lower mainland now, we have had over 6 incidents of cars being impounded, etc., so it is in the public mind, and with cell phones, etc now, your just toast in a heart beat.

I dunno, I just feel like my/our ability to have some safe fun with our cars out there, is now GONE! Maybe it's the last of my rebel spirit, an archaic hangover from my CannonBall days...I'm just having a tough time finally letting that go, that it really has changed out there...and those days are DONE!!!!!

Our cars are so unique, they stand out in a group drive like waving a red flag in front of a charging bull.

There were so many ghost vehicles on that highway, I could not believe it.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/local/20 ... 77821.html
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

RonM
Supporter

Re: PORCHES BUSTED ON SEA TO SKY

Post by RonM » 08 Aug 2012 13:48

The fun is still there keith.

This news piece is as much a public safety propaganda campaign as it is an opportunity for highway law enforcement to show the latest feather in their cap . Ask yourself "why was this article published", "What are they trying to say here"?

This article does however prove my theory. I asked myself "what is the difference between a Porsche and a porcupine"? After a great deal of thought I realized, one has the mindless pricks on the outside. 8) If these guys are dumb enough to tare through the same stretch of road at the same time every Saturday morning even after being warned not to, well I would have to say this supports my theory quite convincingly. Lets face it, these mindless pricks were asking for it.

Next time you want to double the posted speed limit in your favorite twist, use cell phone, or two way radio technology to your advantage. Send a scout ahead a few miles who can give the all clear and if he spots a roller headed the other direction, or any other danger he can warn the pack. Have him and the leader of the rear pack in constant hands free contact. Game on!

It's natural to equate exceeding the "speed limit" with rebellion, because it is against the law. However, breaking the law is not the intent, rather it is a consequence in the pursuit of enjoying a passion. As long as you are responsible and not endangering others in that pursuit than the only question is how to mitigate the ricks.

All that being said, I spent the first 4 years of my driving privilege stuck in a rebellious mindset of confronting authority. As a consequence I had 24 moving violation by the time I was 20 years old and lost my license twice. I wound up paying more money in fines than I put into my car. Once I realized the futility of rebellion and took responsibility for my behavior, I've never gotten another ticket. OK maybe it was the attachment of my per-frontal cortex that gave me the ability to think ahead and control my impulses, but I still drive to my hearts content, I just do it in a measured and calculated way now.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 08 Aug 2012 15:25

The "scout" is generally not something we've done in the past - but if necessary, then maybe it's the action we'll need to take in the future.

It's a good thought...

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 » 08 Aug 2012 18:06

well keith and byron and all you guys with sr's ka's and vg's that are hopped up on power.yank em out and go back to L16's , can still have fun at a reduced speed. :P :P :wink:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.

James

Post by James » 08 Aug 2012 18:10

At least then you can drive full throttle all the time!
Finished is better than perfect......

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 08 Aug 2012 19:04

So many things.....

Just so you gang down south know, they instituted a law here, that if you are 40KMh OVER the posted limit...it is an AUTOMATIC tow away of your car, bare minimum 1 week, plus all the fines. Basically, it could cost us at least, 1,500.00, plus the drivers license penalty. The car could be gone for a month, and, under the right assessment by the cop/Crown, you car can be GONE to the crusher..period.

If they THINK you were racing.....LOOK OUT......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM » 08 Aug 2012 19:43

DAMN :shock: That seems a bit excessive even for a totalitarian state, but this is Canada we're talking about here right? I will admit I was viewing this through a very different prism when I wrote that. I don't know that I would even trust a scout with those kind of penalties. I can understand your heartbreak for a bygone era.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 08 Aug 2012 20:44

Maybe the big red 510 should be repainted with camo and fitted with tube bumpers front and back. Police will just think it's just another mullet mobile 4x4.

Doesn't Bert have a cousin in the CCCP? Couldn't he slip you some of the soviet stealth radar absorbing paint? Or reconfigure the deceleration device to emit an EMP when it detects police radar?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s » 08 Aug 2012 21:07

I agree that, and as Royal Speaker of the Obvious, I must say, times sure have changed.

We used to line up along Mulholland drive ('67-'70) right in the middle of LA, and wait for the right competitor to come along, a flash of the lights, then it was off to the races!
Of course, at the time, it was a little more sparse up there, driveway wise :wink:
I hear tell they monitor the good part of the road very heavily now, no chance of that kind of action.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 08 Aug 2012 21:22

Maybe the big red 510 should be repainted with camo and fitted with tube bumpers front and back. Police will just think it's just another mullet mobile.

Doesn't Bert have a cousin in the CCCP? Couldn't he slip you some of the soviet stealth radar absorbing paint? Or reconfigure the deceleration device to emit an EMP when it detects police radar?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

gooned

Post by gooned » 08 Aug 2012 21:30

yeah just sucks nowadays, one reason my weekend toy is the Dodge these days...it's amasing how fast it'l go thru all the gears in low range - LOL

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 09 Aug 2012 05:33

Now you can see our frustration..years ago we had a time when the "FAST and Furious" tuner crowd up here had all sorts of issues with street racing, with a few people getting killed..innocents too. This really started the crack down.

I too, like you Mulholland guys, had some wonderful years of canyon carving, and, our Cannonballs, very high speed DRIVES..not racing..back from our Interior Slalom events.

40 Km over is nothing these days, so you have to be on guard everywhere you go, specially in some of the stupid speed zone change areas.

Your right Joel, our traffic load up here has gone up ten fold, so it is just plain busy everywhere, all day. That's why most of our drives involve 400 - 500 miles days...we have to leave early, to get far enough away from the local roads, to get into the mountains...which now presents the problem with the 40 Km thing, as we still get the odd RCMP mobile cruiser doing his patrol, or, some scattered laser radar trap, which we have seen on some of our twistier roads now.

Those Porsche guys were only doing EXACTLY what we have done....120 to 130 is only 70 - 80 mph...on a section posted at 50 MPH...on a beautiful section of HIGHWAY, divided.....we have some stupidy low speed limited areas up here, that have not been changed to reflect today's modern cars ( maybe not the drivers), but the AVERAGE traffic flow seeks it's own comfortable speed, which, tends to be 20 KMH over whatever range posted anyhow.

I dunno, glad I had those good years of being able to do what I did, with no issues, but, sure having trouble dealing with this NEW REALITY....it sucks.

Maybe I will call Rimski and see what he has cooked up in the way of new stealth technology...... :wink:

Keith Law

510rob

Post by 510rob » 09 Aug 2012 08:52

A West Vancouver police officer single-handedly pulled over and impounded four Porsches rocketing along the Sea to Sky corridor at high speed this weekend, in the latest case of dangerous group racing.

A West Vancouver police officer used his accessories (the gun on the belt and the radio always helps) and pulled over and impounded four cars driving along the Sea to Sky highway at normative speeds this weekend, in the latest case of driving on the highway at the typical speed on that road.

It marked the fourth major pack-racing incident in the Lower Mainland in just two weeks.

It marked the fourth justification of newly-trumped-up rhetorical terminology in the Lower Mainland in just two weeks.

...just saying...

What we need are more transit police. Who else will enforce maximum freedom when you are taking transit because your vehicle has been taken away as a result of strange laws designed to ...I'm not sure what or why they were designed, but they were certainly designed to do something...

Rheis

Post by Rheis » 10 Aug 2012 17:49

As I have mentioned in another thread, we should look into radar dectectors and laser jammers

http://youtu.be/bYh-MkZGPck

McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 » 11 Aug 2012 10:38

I too like the scout / 2-way radio idea. 'They' ramp up while we improve our tactics.

Remember......... FEAR IS A MIND KILLER.

Be safe,
James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100