2 Post VS 4 Post lifts input needed

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510wizard
Supporter

2 Post VS 4 Post lifts input needed

Post by 510wizard »

After 28 years in the same house, the wife and I purchased a new house with more garage space( 5 cars) but more importantly one of the garages is tall (15' tall, was mean't for an RV). So I finally have room for a lift to do maintenance and for storage of one of the Datsuns, which then I have room for 6 cars. I am trying to decide what type of lift to get a 2 or 4 post lift. Some people like a 2 post for general car work, but say that you shouldn't store a car on one, because of the unloaded suspension ( hard on the rubber bushings). What say you on the plus and minus's of which to get? I also am allowed in the spring to build a new detached shop, just for fabrication, no storage of cars so I finally got my wish, a hanger for the cars and a fab shop. Life is good!
HudsonMC

Re: 2 Post VS 4 Post lifts input needed

Post by HudsonMC »

If by 4 post, you mean the type which supports the tires and lifts the car from there, then I like the 2 post better. The types I'm talking about "frame engaging" (2 post) vs "wheel engaging" (4 post).

Suspension work, tire changes, brake jobs, etc. are impossible to do on a wheel engaging lift. Wheel engaging lifts are used at oil change and muffler shops. I think you're probably right about the car storage thing though. I would prefer to store a car "loaded", but I can't really say why, just seems like the right way.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Decisions, decisions!
What a good set of decisions to have to make, good score on the new space.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

HudsonMC wrote:If by 4 post, you mean the type which supports the tires and lifts the car from there, then I like the 2 post better. The types I'm talking about "frame engaging" (2 post) vs "wheel engaging" (4 post).

Suspension work, tire changes, brake jobs, etc. are impossible to do on a wheel engaging lift. Wheel engaging lifts are used at oil change and muffler shops. I think you're probably right about the car storage thing though. I would prefer to store a car "loaded", but I can't really say why, just seems like the right way.
You can get a "bridge lift" for the 4 post lifts so you can do brake jobs, etc, but looks like a pain in the ass.
http://www.bendpak.com/JP-3%2c6.png?h=349

I am thinking that the lift will do 90% of the time storing a car, so a 4 post lift might be better, decisions, decisions.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

How about a 4 post for storing the car, and then an in-ground 2 post for working on it, all in the same parking spot! :)
James

Post by James »

If you were inventive - you could make two trays that would attach to the 2 post that would support the car on the wheels when you wanted, and on the frame when you didn't.
Finished is better than perfect......
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

James has a good point.

But from experience, my shop mate as a nice two post lift in our shop, and I'll tell ya it is very nice to use for anything as access is almost unimpeded. And because it is a two post, you can have one car in the air and maneuver other cars around it quite easily as the post is in the middle of the car.

My father has a 4 poster in his ship, and it takes up a lot of space, the foot print is huge.

If you don't like the suspension fully extended, how about attaching a cable to the LCA back up to the body via a hook, this way the suspension can't fully fall.

Another good thing about storing a car on a two post - you'll be easier on the tires.

My $0.02....

In any case, I'd agree this is a very horrible place and time to be making a decision of this caliber.... :wink: :lol:

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
DeRuX

Post by DeRuX »

Wow you guys make a lot of good points. I was going to get a 4 post for my garage as I only have a 12ft ceiling. I really just wanted the extra parking space but now am thinking about how working on a car will be. The 2 post is looking better. I think if you are building a new shop space in addition to what you have now. Get the 4 post for the current garage and a two post into the new shop garage.
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

DeRuX wrote:Wow you guys make a lot of good points. I was going to get a 4 post for my garage as I only have a 12ft ceiling. I really just wanted the extra parking space but now am thinking about how working on a car will be. The 2 post is looking better. I think if you are building a new shop space in addition to what you have now. Get the 4 post for the current garage and a two post into the new shop garage.
I like that idea, but I will have to look into how high the ceiling will have to be in the new shop for a two post, I was thinking about a 10' ceiling in the new shop. One problem is that the new shop has to match the exiting house which has a 10/12 pitch roof, so with the purposed size of 28' wide, the peak of the roof is getting pretty high already with a 10' ceiling.
I talked to a friend who wrenches for a living, basically he said that he would go for a 2 post for most work, but 4 post is nice for exhaust work and for long term storage. He uses the 2 post lifts for storage too, but, not for long periods of time. The problem I have is that some of the Datsun's sit for months at a time. Looking at manufactures web sites, it does appear that for storage that the 4 post is used the most.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There are also differences based on intended use. The lifts that are aimed more at the storage market don't seem to hold up as well when used more regularly as mechanics lifts. A storage lift might expect to see an up/down cycle once a week (pulling figures from my ear). A storage lift in use at a shop will probably die sooner than expected.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Monte,

With your skills you could certainly get a 2 post a build 2 wheel trays with some 2" and diamond plate that you could lay over the 2 post arms and drive your car onto for longer-term storage with the susupension loaded. It seems the used market for good 2 post lifts is much better than the price/avail of 4 post lifts, but this is just based on my SFBay CL browsing. Julian might be right about 2 post long-term durability for daily/frequent use. 2 post lifts also gives you more shop space when you need it, though 4 posts can be wheeled around. 2 posts can also be used as an engine hoist or forklift equiv in a pinch, which is harder to do with 4 posts.

YMMV.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

StrutlessWonder wrote:Monte,

With your skills you could certainly get a 2 post a build 2 wheel trays with some 2" and diamond plate that you could lay over the 2 post arms and drive your car onto for longer-term storage with the susupension loaded. It seems the used market for good 2 post lifts is much better than the price/avail of 4 post lifts, but this is just based on my SFBay CL browsing. Julian might be right about 2 post long-term durability for daily/frequent use. 2 post lifts also gives you more shop space when you need it, though 4 posts can be wheeled around. 2 posts can also be used as an engine hoist or forklift equiv in a pinch, which is harder to do with 4 posts.

YMMV.
Oh no not other project :o , the trays are a neat idea. I do have a set of aluminum ramps 16-18' long, that are used by the semi's that deliver cars to dealerships, maybe those could work as trays. I will get some pics. The 2 posts are for sure a lot more versatile. At this point I am still in the info getting stage.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

510wizard wrote:Oh no not other project :o , the trays are a neat idea. I do have a set of aluminum ramps 16-18' long, that are used by the semi's that deliver cars to dealerships, maybe those could work as trays. I will get some pics. The 2 posts are for sure a lot more versatile. At this point I am still in the info getting stage.
There you go. Weld a couple pipes on the bottom to slide into the pad holes on the arms of the two post to locate and "lock" the ramps and you'll be good to go. Make sure you get a 2-post with locks on the arms so that the ramps don't move around when you drive onto them. I think most of the 2-posts these days have arms locks, but just double check.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Andy chose the two post style, as the working room around them is very good.
Attachments
IMG_7993 (Medium).JPG
IMG_7993 (Medium).JPG (132.28 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer