Recomendations for bench top chop saws

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
duke
Supporter

Recomendations for bench top chop saws

Post by duke »

My dad and I have recently begun doing roll cage fabrication for a few guys in our area and one tool that i can clearly see us lacking is a good chop saw. We would be using this primarily for cutting DOM mild steel tubing for roll cages as well as some stainless tubing for exhausts. I would like to get a cold cut saw but unfortunately I think they are a little out of our price range. So I'm thinking that an abrasive chop saw is what we will end up with. I was if any of you guys had some recommendations for a good chop saw for these applications.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Cmac

Re: Recomendations for bench top chop saws

Post by Cmac »

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Portaba ... _c_35.html

Have you thought about something like this ? The porta band saw type tables are clean and quiet no sparks etc. I have used the Porta cable , Dewalt and Milwaukee chop saws all are about the same. There are two grades light duty and heavy duty ones when I was looking to buy one last. If you have the space I would try to find a horizontal the metal band saw.

Craigs list has the chop saws listed in the tools section quiet often.
BlackWidow

Post by BlackWidow »

Makita Cold cut metal chop saw. I made over 400 cuts of 4 inch Pipe with a wall thickness of .250 all stainless steel tubing on one blade, it is an amazing saw. A little expensive but worth it. However if you have the room a band saw that uses water to lubricate and cool the cut is the best.
1972 4dr 510 (Turbo KA24E build in progress)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have done more cages that I care to count, and I too have always wanted a cold cut saw. But to be honest I have yet to buy one. My cheap Chinese made chop saw, with a good quality abrasive disc, has withstood serious abuse, and still keeps going. It draws a lot of power - kicked the breaker once in a while. But I have used it for DOM up to 2" without a worry. They are dirty, though. They make lots of dust, but if you are grinding and welding a cage, you'll be making plenty more anyways.

So, I have got away with a cheap saw, been wanting to replace it but just haven't justified it. Use a good quality abrasive blade (spend a little more and you usually get a lot more - as in cuts). For the last number of years, as soon as I pull out the tube bender, it usually involves wire wheels on the surface of the car, the chop saw dust, and I run no less than 6 angle grinders on the bench or in the car; one with a grinding disc, one with a blending disc, two different wire wheels mounted, a 2" Horse Cock (yes, I laughed my head off the first time someone told me what this was called) and zip cut wheel. Yes I've worn out a lot of grinders over the years! I prefer the smaller ones, but I abuse them badly as a result. The large peripheral wire wheels are hell on grinders, but completely necessary.
Needless to say, with all of this metal working going on during the fab process, I put on a good quality 3M vented dust mask at the beginning of the day and never take it off until I'm about to leave the shop. Sweep up, let the dust settle. This dust is hell on your lungs. My father never took it seriously, and these days he's paying the price. Please don't do the same - just friendly advise.

Hope that helps.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.