Remembrance Day

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

Remembrance Day

Post by bertvorgon »

I just thought I would post this up, as I sit in reflection of my Dad and his journey and contribution to our life today, in the Second World War, and, to our good friend Art Hughs.

Rest In Peace.
Attachments
Kenneth Oliver Law<br />Air Gunner<br />Photo Reconnaissance
Kenneth Oliver Law
Air Gunner
Photo Reconnaissance
IMGP2680 (Large).JPG (84.62 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Art_Hughs.jpg
Art_Hughs.jpg (71.65 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jason
Supporter

Re: Remembrance Day

Post by jason »

Thank you for remembering Keith!
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Remembrance Day

Post by datzenmike »

I remembered at home this year as the Cormorant thundered over the house on way to/from towns near the Comox base.

Like Keith I grew up in the '50s and the war was barely 10 years over. All my friends at school had dads that 'fought the Germans' so I asked one night. My dad would have been nineteen in '39 back in England and so he applied to join the forces. Occupation they asked? Farmer said my dad. Son, you go back to the farm they said. I was terribly disappointed. It wasn't till decades later it was clear that everything in Britain had to get there by sea and so farming for food was important. Nightly he served in the Home Guard and daily watched the Battle Of Britain... from a tractor. My grandmother tells of a bomber plane crashing onto a field near her home. My mother had dozens of stories of working as a nurse in London during the blitz. Kicking incendiary devices from the hospital roof, the black out wardens, rations, doodle bugs and how you were safe as long as you could hear them. I didn't get to know many of my relatives and hear of those who never returned. But I think of them and wonder.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs