"The Shed"

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510wizard
Supporter

Re: "The Shed"

Post by 510wizard »

Congratulations on the house! If I could offer some input on the placement of the detached garage. What if you moved the 45' side to be along the top long property line, with the garage doors facing the lower property line and move the garage closer to the house. This way you won't have to see the garage doors from the house (cleaner look) plus a court yard could happen between the house and the garage ( wives like courtyards), man door leads on to the courtyard. Also you would have outdoor storage behind the garage that you wouldn't see from the backyard.The apron in front of the garage door should be a min of 20', with my idea you would have 30' if you use the 5' setback, but I would personally make it 10' plus , I don't like small setbacks. With this idea the driveway in the back becomes a "T", easier to pull in and out.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

What fun anticipating this going-to-be-great shop!! Great write-up, I love seeing the situation through your eyes.

Nice feeling having that first house, eh? Satisfying to do work on it and know that it is yours!

What equipment exactly are you planning to put in the shop?
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510wizard wrote:Congratulations on the house! If I could offer some input on the placement of the detached garage. What if you moved the 45' side to be along the top long property line, with the garage doors facing the lower property line and move the garage closer to the house. This way you won't have to see the garage doors from the house (cleaner look) plus a court yard could happen between the house and the garage ( wives like courtyards), man door leads on to the courtyard. Also you would have outdoor storage behind the garage that you wouldn't see from the backyard.The apron in front of the garage door should be a min of 20', with my idea you would have 30' if you use the 5' setback, but I would personally make it 10' plus , I don't like small setbacks. With this idea the driveway in the back becomes a "T", easier to pull in and out.
Monte, those are great thoughts, and I certainly welcome and thank your input which is why I am posting this up here. You do pose a very good point about the shop doors pointing to the west. The shop interior not being visible from the house is a good thought. And from a security point of view this is also very good as the shop interior would not be visible from the street when I have the bay door open. I like your thinking.

What I do want to keep open is a plan to expand the “shed” in the future. I have a number of restrictions for a detached garage – the key one is 4.5m (14.7’) height max. So to make the most of the interior height, I was thinking a flat roof design likely sloping to the rear slightly for drainage. A shed across the back would act as a barrier from the house behind me which does sit higher up and quite close to the rear property line. However a shed situated as you suggest does give me more storage space now, as long as I don’t add to the west in the future.

Man – lots to think about.
two_68_510s wrote:What fun anticipating this going-to-be-great shop!! Great write-up, I love seeing the situation through your eyes.

Nice feeling having that first house, eh? Satisfying to do work on it and know that it is yours!

What equipment exactly are you planning to put in the shop?
Well Joel, as you know I have a machine or two!  I own three lathes, 2 mills a radial arm drill press and some other old machinery – along with a 510 or two….That space will fill up fast with all my stuff – even at that kind of footage.

Guys, I welcome all your input. I started a thread on the garage journal, but that site is massive and so many users… it’s a bit intimidating.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Way to go Byron. I am sure that you will be very happy with your purchase. Like you said,you will have lots to think about before you start construction. Also Joyce and the kids must be very excited!
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Glad to throw around some ideas your way. Imho, make the basic design look like the house, i.e., same roof pitch. It is way better for resell if the out building looks like the main structure. Use scissor trusses which will give you the interior height, for say a lift, use garage door(s) with the tracks that follow the interior pitch,( I'm assuming the truss's run across the 30' side)
gooned

Post by gooned »

Hey Awsome :D

It sounds like your going to be a landlord too with that basement, a little mortgage helper never hurts.

30x40 is huge on a lot IMHO, I'd definitely pay attention to having it " look right" I see lots of builds using scissor trusses to max out interior height without being a big looming structure. Tough to see in pics but if your lot is sloping you can dig the floor down to gain height also...

Lots of exciting moments ahead!
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Congrats Byron! Now the fun begins. House looks great btw. By buying a non 'fixer-upper' you've just jumpstarted your garage project, both in time and $$$$. Are you restricted to the footprint you are allowed to build in your new locale? Like you said, you will fill that space right pronto with all your man-toys. IMHO I would build as large as they permit you to. Cheaper to build it in the first place than to add on later. Happy planning, and if your new space has a problem accommodating those lathes and mills, I know just the place for them :D :D
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Congratulations Byron, I'm envious of your lot size. It makes me want to move out of East Van.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
iceD

Post by iceD »

Way to go Byron paying yourself is way smarter than paying a landlord. Good luck with shed project.

ice D
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

congratultions Byron.Thats a super sized lot...esp. for Vancouver !!!
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Congrats Byron, and as someone else said, it must feel good to finally be land baron (shop baron!)

Pretty nice looking on the inside too, and good to see your other half is happy with it as is. Reno's suck, until they're done.

A question, for that price just how big a gun did you bring to the table????
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

2DoorJim wrote:
A question, for that price just how big a gun did you bring to the table????
No gun - but idle threats...

No - it's not in Vancouver - it's about an hour out into the burbs. This property in Vancouver I would say wold be worth close to 2 million or more in a standard residential area.

I did get into a bidding war, had to pay $12k over the asking price. But My wife and I are really happy with it.

However I don't think I'll eb a landlord. I think the family could benifit more from using the space. My wife and I always thought taking on an international student would be cool. My parrents did when I was a kid and I hav a lot of positive memories from it. So that "Summer Kitchen" will actually be just that.

It's a nice place, but we'll keep the thread on the shed.
gooned wrote:
30x40 is huge on a lot IMHO, I'd definitely pay attention to having it " look right"
Agreed on both accounts - have you seen the contents of my container of toy tools? 47000 lbs of machinery.... Whn I draw out a 1200 sqf shop, there is only space for one car! And this may be OK. I thought of keeping the square footage down, and keep the cars in a car prt. It's a pretty mild climate here and that works for storage.

Lots to think about. But first I need to get the quote on services and building costs and figure out where the costs will be. I will build as big as I can afford for sure.
greenthumb wrote: Are you restricted to the footprint you are allowed to build in your new locale?
Yes, 40% covrage in footprint, but with 12k sqf - I have lots left - more than I can afford to cover!

Byron
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

:mrgreen: Congrats Byron!!! :mrgreen:

When moving the machinery into your shop, don't hire this guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m4IMZCDh0

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510wizard wrote:Congratulations on the house! If I could offer some input on the placement of the detached garage. What if you moved the 45' side to be along the top long property line, with the garage doors facing the lower property line and move the garage closer to the house. This way you won't have to see the garage doors from the house (cleaner look) plus a court yard could happen between the house and the garage ( wives like courtyards), man door leads on to the courtyard. Also you would have outdoor storage behind the garage that you wouldn't see from the backyard. The apron in front of the garage door should be a min of 20', with my idea you would have 30' if you use the 5' setback, but I would personally make it 10' plus , I don't like small setbacks. With this idea the driveway in the back becomes a "T", easier to pull in and out.
Monte, your idea certainly has good merit – thanks for your input. Your idea would leave 25' from the door to the property line. Certainly I like the cleaner look – even the man door can face the property line and not the house. I just spun the drawing for ease of layout for now. As you mentioned that door could also go closer to the house, but both placements have their merits. One is that the electrical will come into the workshop at point 'A', and if the door is at the south end, the electrical will not be directly behind the drive in area which I like. However with this layout, I may go for a 15' wide door to facilitate turning into the garage with greater ease.

Speaking of the door, a good friend (gooned) built a vertical bi-fold garage door. Personally I love the idea, and may have to bug him for some more details to build one myself.

Here's another layout draft...

Byron
Attachments
Lot Overview 4.jpg
Lot Overview 4.jpg (74.01 KiB) Viewed 4094 times
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Yea, thats what I was thinking. I would still move the structure closer to the house and create more open space on the back property line for possible expansion for ? and also shortens the utilities( saves money, trust me) More food for thought, I notice that there is a gable roof on the front of your house, how about creating a similar roof on the front south side of the shop facing towards the back yard ( where the white dots are) Do a covered patio/outside work area, perfect for tying the "shed" to the backyard and another work area, " outdoor room".