"The Shed"

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510rob

Re: "The Shed"

Post by 510rob »

...yeah really! Ever since he bought that fancy door handle and closed the doors, no updates. He's probably got a Honda in there now.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Or a Mazda.....zoom zoom
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

"You can shut the door on this one Max - its the ducks guts!"
-Goose
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Agreed, there hasn't been any updates, however there also hasn't been a whole lot of progress.

You’ll remember the air caught in and around the drain form at the bay door? Well this did concern me, so I bought some Quickcrete and troweled it into all of these holes, pretty much along the entire ledge and bottom section. I was worried that water was sit in these depressions and lead to erosion over the years and break the concrete apart. So while it was clean, this was the time to repair it – done!
Attachments
IMG_4758.JPG
IMG_4758.JPG (160.12 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Next up was cutting the control lines in the concrete. For this I purchased a nice concrete cutting blade and I found an old hand saw on CL for $20 a block away from me, as I didn’t want to run my new Makita hand saw through concrete…
Using a 16’ long piece of 1x6, I got my wife to stand on the other end and I simply ran the saw down to concrete about 1 ½” deep. The fancy $50 blade actually works really well, and the old saw had no issues at all. I was however playing with fire. Here I am running an electrical devise, spraying water at it, standing in a lake…. The guy standing in a pool operating a drill with the electrical cord connection floating on a flip/flop came to mind….

At any rate, I made a damn good mess cutting the control lines.
Attachments
IMG_4759.JPG
IMG_4759.JPG (102.06 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
IMG_4761.JPG
IMG_4761.JPG (105.55 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Spent a day a few weeks ago cleaning up and hauled away nearly a tonne of garbage (890kgs).
Attachments
IMG_4786.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG (108.43 KiB) Viewed 4351 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

And I spent some time digging out my electrical junction boxes from the concrete floor.
Attachments
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG (130.26 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was doing some research on concrete sealers and densifiers. I picked likely the most expensive option in this department, but also the most highly recommended by both the concrete finisher and the distributor as well. Admittedly I have not cut short on too many expenses on this project, but it has certainly increased the costs of the project as a whole. However I really hate doing a job twice, so I hope my decisions are reasonable founded and will work out in the long run. In this case, the sealer is said to be good for 5 years on a garage surface, and the densifier will definitely help with wear, such as dragging a jack stand or piece of steel across the surface.
Attachments
IMG_4927.JPG
IMG_4927.JPG (108 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

A densifier ($480) is a product I didn’t even know about going into this project, same with the Hard Cem ($950) additive I put in the concrete. Between the two products however I hope to achieve a very durable concrete surface which is really a one way ticket – there’s no going back once it’s done!

Due to work and family, I hadn’t been near the shop for a couple of weeks, however but I did get out there this past Friday/Saturday. On Friday night I worked up a good sweat (and sore arms) as I scrubbed off the residue from cutting the control lines, using a broom, mop and copious amount of water. For jobs like this I am loving that ¾” city pressure water line I have to the workshop! Even though I have only a ½” hose on the line, I can flood that floor in very little time. I bought a new floor squeegee and did my best pushing the water off the surface. I now know where all of my high and low spots are, and of course the low spots run away from the doors  What can you do! I finished off the night by setting up the fans to blow the surface dry.

This past Saturday, dad came over and we were planning on spraying the floor with the densifier/sealer. However we decided to clean out the control cut lines a bit better with compressed air and a metal scraper. Man did we make another mess! And there we were flooding and cleaning off the floor again. Once squeegeed dry, we set up the fans again and took a long lunch.
Later in the afternoon, the application of the sealer took about 10 minutes, and you just walk away. From an application point of view, this stuff is magic compared to other densifiers which require hand and machine working. Because this floor was metal power trowel so well, I cannot expect that the densifier would work its way more than 1/8” deep. However the product will close all pours in the concrete and it leaves a barrier on the surface. The other cool part about this product is no off gasses, and no protective breathing apparatus needed. In fact there is no odor at all – zero, zip, zilch.
So the only down side to this commercial product is that it is sold in a 5 gallon lot that covers 3000 sqf, and I didn’t even need half of it for my project. Anyone out there need some premium concrete densifier/sealer? Got a bargain for ya, and I’ll throw in the new sprayer as well.
Attachments
IMG_4925.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG (97.98 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
IMG_4924.JPG
IMG_4924.JPG (107.96 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The next project is to fill the control cuts with a single stage polyurethane. The concrete supplier suggested I use a BASF product called Masterseal NP-1. Thankfully this was a more affordable product at $10 a tube.
Attachments
IMG_4926.JPG
IMG_4926.JPG (137.21 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG (77.59 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

That floor surface is looking really good!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

loving it Byron. you should be happy with the door, i have the smaller 10ftw.x11fttall version in my garage.
IMG_2640.jpg
IMG_2640.jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
the only thing I'm not to happy about is that it doesn't block to much of the noise of me grinding and hammering.
but i guess thats the neighbours problem. :D
its not the having. its the doing...
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Wow looking good. I could use some of that sealer. I have been looking for something for my new garage. It would be nice to do it before the lift gets installed.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Next up: Old shed destruction. It’s now in the way of the bay door. I’ll now be moving my crap out of the old shed and into the new shed once I get the sealer in the control cuts.
Maybe I’ll put the old 16x20' shed on CL with a free sign on it and see what happens. Too bad it couldn’t go out whole as it won’t fit down the side of the house. If no one takes it or the materials, I’ll just cut it apart and haul it to the junk yard I guess. Not a task I look forward to, I hope someone takes it.
Attachments
4-5-2016 4-53-36 PM.jpg
4-5-2016 4-53-36 PM.jpg (168.39 KiB) Viewed 4313 times
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Looks great Byron. I'd have been sweating bullets cutting 1 1/2" deep with your heating lines down there!