New left lane legislation goes into effect today!

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
RMS
Supporter

New left lane legislation goes into effect today!

Postby RMS » 12 Jun 2015 13:03

will traffic flow better or is it just more rounds in the Revenue Collection Monetary Pursuer's clip?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: New left lane legislation goes into effect today!

Postby bertvorgon » 12 Jun 2015 13:26

I just heard that on the radio, we will see what happens on 99, where I live that bullshit everyday.

Worst offenders are the Americans from Washington state, I have been behind convoys of them on the weekends and very few
of them EVER move over.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

two_68_510s
Supporter

Postby two_68_510s » 12 Jun 2015 14:06

bertvorgon wrote:I just heard that on the radio, we will see what happens on 99, where I live that bullshit everyday.

Worst offenders are the Americans from Washington state, I have been behind convoys of them on the weekends and very few
of them EVER move over.

Daggone 'mericans, hey aren't we all Americans?

We are the US Clan of 'mericans, I believe it gets worse the further south you go, culminating on the Harbor Freeway in LA at 4:00 pm!!
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX
74 Jensen Healey

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 12 Jun 2015 16:19

two_68_510s wrote:
bertvorgon wrote:culminating on the Harbor Freeway in LA

Fixed that for you. To be fair, none of the lanes are actually moving.

It comes down to enforcement. No enforcement, no compliance. No one has ever been pulled over for clogging the passing lane.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

two_68_510s
Supporter

Postby two_68_510s » 12 Jun 2015 16:26

I think on that one with no emergency lanes of any kind, as in any place to pull over for miles, your car would just be pulled along with traffic if it failed.....
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX
74 Jensen Healey

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 12 Jun 2015 17:03

two_68_510s wrote:
Daggone 'mericans, hey aren't we all Americans?

We are the US Clan of 'mericans,

from one North American to another, I hear ya ....but it's a little confusing as I'm Canadian and a North American and can be called an American as I live in the Americas... but those of you to the south in the US are only referred to as Americans and to say United Statesers or USians sounds wrong ...so your states have been united for hundreds of years..... when are you going to pic a name ? :P

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 12 Jun 2015 19:52

RMS wrote:when are you going to pic a name ? :P

I don't know of any Middle American that identifies as a United Stater; we identify with the particular state ("United" notwithstanding).

CA would also need to fix thousands of miles of freeway if they did start enforcing the left-lane-as-passing-lane law. I5 and Hwy 99 through the middle of CA, and 101 up the coast, are two-lanes each way, and the slow lanes have been cratered by big rig hauling. I will move over to let someone faster pass me, but I get back into the fast lane so I don't lose a rearview mirror or a wheel or something.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 13 Jun 2015 00:25

bertvorgon wrote:I just heard that on the radio, we will see what happens on 99, where I live that bullshit everyday.

of them EVER move over.

It's funny, I would agree with this only pertaining to those in and around Seattle or Portland. However as I mentioned last year, I found the ignorance much worse in Colorado on my one week trip through the area. Yet, for the most part, on the hiways and byways of eastern Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Utah and Wyoming - I found my drive last year quite pleasant and drivers courteous. And trust me, I was usually pushing the posted limit by nothing less than 20% the whole time, making myself likely the more aggressive one. However I never come flying up behind people, just slowly accelerate and decelerate and leave plenty of room. However, once you start rolling into population, the jack ass moves become prevalent, the left lane hogs more prominent and the curtesy factor goes down the shitter.

But trust me, this is not a US phenomenon. Right here in Western Canada, it's no different. You drive from the interior of British Columbia down into the Lower Mainland (the Fraser Valley and Metro Vancouver); once you come within 90 minutes of Vancouver - all rules get tossed out the window and it's every person for themselves.

But it's not just here. I just spent the last week in Calgary - the jackasses there just drive bigger trucks! I've never driven near Huston, Austin or Dallas - but Southern Alberta is oil country and the attitude sounds similar. There some serious big ass attitude in Southern Alberta in general on the roads.

3 weeks ago however I was in northern Quebec for work. And like any small towns in this country, the drivers were very good. However you drive into Montreal and you are taking your life into your hands. The drivers there are so shitty, they made right hand turns on a red light illegal because so many pedestrians were getting killed every year.
I relished the drive from Halifax to Lunenburg later in that week, what a difference! Serenity and beautiful country side was to be had, and drivers were just and nice.
Now let’s talk about Toronto, Ontario - I would think this is very similar to LA. It was here that I first saw the hack-saw, 6 lane exits from the far left hand lane on the freeway at over 80 mph in rush hour traffic! Well, maybe because there isn’t a 6 lane (in a single direction) road here in Vancouver, but just the same it was a sight to behold. Had I only seen that move once, I would just feel it's another idiot with a death wish. But no, in the short few weeks I spent working there, multiple lane crossings at serious angles to the right of way were very common - 4 lanes or more at once with barely a cars length clearance - bloody unreal!
In the time I have driven around in LA, I didn't see this, but of the 2 dozen or so times I have been in LA, I have never been sitting in the grid lock and have likely missed the pandemonium that goes with "rush hour". I read about it enough in any source of literature that it must be there and must be real. Our workshop is so close to the Port of Longbeach that I just don’t see much of the road.

Yet I've been to Miami a number of times in the past 5 years and found the hiways there quite respectable in rush hour traffic (Miami - Ft Lauderdale - Hollywood/Miramar).

Driving skill, or lack thereof, is probably my greatest concern. I flew back into Vancouver today at 10:30am. On the way home from the airport (1 hour on the road) I see a guy who's barrel rolled his F250 on the South Parameter Road - Accident had just happened right in front of me by 500 meters. I didn't get to see it directly, the dust and steam was still in the air as I reached the scene. The carnage from that truck was unreal. And unlike most accident situations where everyone just drives off - there were about 15 cars stopped all over the road in both directions to help this guy. People were picking up debris and there was no less than 4 people working on the occupants inside the truck. I was 5 minutes down the road before I saw 1 of 2 fire trucks headed that way in the opposite direction. But I was thinking to myself immediately after seeing that accident – what the hell would a person do to cause such a calamity? I am not an accident investigator – nor a detective. But what combination of events would create such an outcome? I suspect the guy drove into the center concrete median which launched the truck. I can’t say if he was cut off, or wasn’t watch for stopped traffic at the intersection he was approaching, but just the same one can’t help wonder if a slight better skill level would have had a drastic change on the outcome.

Not 15 minutes later, I come across a late model Golf, punted so hard in the rear that its rear axle was within nearly at the front seat back! Obviously there was the truck (late model mid size Dodge) right behind him, but then three more cars off the road on both sides! So in this case – multiple people are asleep at the switch! No one is looking beyond their front fenders or at most beyond the tail light in front of them.

So, basically I have learned - where there is population, there are people who simply loose the respect for themselves and others around them. Will this "law" make a difference? Hard to say. How does it get enforced? The red light cameras worked for that pandemic locally, but think of the number of cameras that were installed to enforce it. Are we putting more officers on the road to enforce this law - not likely. Besides, when the posted limits are so bloody low, everyone is speeding anyways in the Metro Vancouver area. So when the cop makes his decision between a guy going slower in the left lane (who may well be doing the speed limit or already speeding) or the guy who's illegally passing on the right and going faster - naturally the guy blocking the left lane is pretty safe! We'll wait and see what happens.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 14 Jun 2015 16:39

ran from richmond to langly today 77km / 48miles round trip mostly highway 91/99 and what a difference. After nearly t-boning a M3 that ran the light @ Westminster and the on ramp to the 91north. I made my left, down the off ramp onto 91south were I was met with an amazing sight; a row of cars all in the left lane. I leap frogged all the way to the the 32ave exit @ 7k over. not once did I need to pass on the right or touch the brakes. there was only one slowdown on the return when a cube van entered the left lane mid span on the Alex Fraser (I ended up passing him in the S curve).

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 14 Jun 2015 17:52

I just got back from going to Whistler, 3 major left lane hogs for the trip, there and back.

Wow, was traffic heavy coming back today, we left Whistler later than last week, so we were in that later afternoon push back.

I think I'm done with the Sea to Sky for awhile. We need to go to either Winthrop or, do the Chukanut Drive, cut across towards Mt. Baker and work our way back.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Postby funwithmonkeys » 15 Jun 2015 10:39

I drove back from Squamish yesterday after camping all weekend and was astounded at the driving by some people. I was pulling a 7800lb trailer and on the passing lanes people would just pull up and stay beside me or just behind me in the left lane. I was doing just under the speed limit because of the trailer but there is no reason for anyone to stay beside or behind me.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

RMS
Supporter

Postby RMS » 15 Jun 2015 11:14

sounds like I hit an anomaly on Sunday morning........it was just after 11am.....mainly church goers?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 15 Jun 2015 17:43

Ultimately..nothing will change on the Lower Mainland. I have now driven Hwy 99 for over 40 years now, as a commute. It has only gotten worse, the so called engineering on the off/on ramps is beyond horrible, and, of course the quality and just plain shear NUMBERS of drivers is beyond what the 2 lousy lanes of Hwy 99 was ever designed for. Every single family acreage is sold or being sold just east of me, where hi-density condos and town homes are going in...all travelling on the same 2 lane goat trails from 50 years ago. It predicted at upwards up 35 - 50,000 more dwellings are going in there.

I am so glad I am close to retirement, as the nightmare is only going to get worse. In the four years now since I said piss on it, and start at 6:30 instead of 8:30 Am, I am close to seeing traffic triple in the 6:00 am commute time.
As my very astute social studies teacher said in 1967, they better do more planning for traffic movement in the lower mainland and Fraser valley. Well, how prophetic was he, as we now see the "stick your head in the sand, Vancouver will stay a small little city" mode ,and we are now paying for the lack of planning. There is no way they can catch up now. PERIOD!!
My rant for the day.

gooned

Postby gooned » 15 Jun 2015 18:24

A great example is the new Portman, you can sail accross now but hit a wall of traffic that stops you once it necks back to the two lanes at 264...I cross at 232 and see a backup past there on a regular basis.
Thank gawd I'm done with the commute into the city 'cause I hear the horror stories of the backup from off ramps that simply can't clear the volume, ain't no amount of cash that'll solve that lack of planning.

510rob

Postby 510rob » 16 Jun 2015 02:06

...it isn't the downtown core, it isn't the lower mainland, it isn't the valley, it isn't the offramps, it isn't the bridges and tunnels, it isn't the ring roads, it isn't the roundabouts, it isn't the myriad of other contrivances that are purported to be the new goddess Panacea for what ails our traffic woes; it is the fact that almost every vehicle is carrying just one driver.

Most of us are guilty of adding to the problem.

Return to “Not Datsun/Nissan related?”