German Gov't voting to ban internal combustion engines by 2050

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510rob

German Gov't voting to ban internal combustion engines by 2050

Post by 510rob »

"At the beginning of October, the German parliament voted in a multipart resolution that includes recommendations for ending the internal combustion engine. The document, which is admittedly non-binding, sets a target of 2050 for full zero-emissions mobility, and outlines tax strategies and incentives to make every newly registered car in Germany zero emissions by 2030."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... pid=PM1016
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: German Gov't voting to ban internal combustion engines by 2050

Post by datzenmike »

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

There will always be a PowerPoint out there for us, never fear!

Germany is not alone in this, there are many western countries going this route. Personally I think and electric motor trumps all else as a power plant, and they will only get better. This may just push battery technology a bit further and hopefully make it more affordable for us.

Don't get me wrong, I love my twin side drafts on horribly inefficient SOHC L motors. But we may all have to do our part eventually.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Our family car is the Nissan Leaf. Good riddance gas! If you guys ever get a chance go for a ride in a Tesla, do it! Afterwards any car will feel so archaic. I personally wish they would double the price of gas, it would help people switch and lower traffic. Win win.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Plenty of battery power to run subs with L6 exhaust sounds tied to the throttle.

I don't expect to see this come to pass (in my time anyway) or maybe just the beginning, but my grandmother was born in the late 1880s when steam was only 50 years old and there were no airplanes for another 20 yeras. My grandfather a widower, was 20 years older (apparently liked them young) and was a steamships engineer but probably would have been no stranger to sail. I remember the great steam locomotives on the CNR and was a teen during the muscle car era.... even owned a new '70 Dart. I guess nothing lasts forever and as Fogerty said: "The trick is to ride and make it to the bell"
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Maybe not. The cost of ownership of an electric is far cheaper to maintain and operate, which I think will help speed things along. Just the amount we save on gas alone pays for our Leaf, we drive the shit out of it though. Really there isn't much benefit to a gas vehicle. Telsa just set a record as the quickest 0-60mph production car, it seats 7 and cost a tenth the price of its two predecessors that held the same record, they were also 2 seaters. Not to mention they guarantee the drivetrain for 8 years or 100k miles. No gas car will ever do that. Also electric has its own cool sound.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote:Our family car is the Nissan Leaf. Good riddance gas! If you guys ever get a chance go for a ride in a Tesla, do it! Afterwards any car will feel so archaic. I personally wish they would double the price of gas, it would help people switch and lower traffic. Win win.
GeeezusH I'm glad your not a politician. In case you forgot, a few year back gas prices were about double what it is today. Let's see, did it help people switch? No, did it lower traffic? No. In fact, here atleast I noticed not one drop in traffic but a few less vacationers in NH according to State revenue reports. Now according to a friend in the auto sales business he did mention a rise in sales of fuel efficient cars did go up. One of the girls in Radiation Protection dept has a Tesla I should ask her for a ride :shock:
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

It did around are parts. SUV's were a dime a dozzen. Geo Metro's were selling for big bucks. O how I dream of a world with no SUV's.
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

Go chew some aaa batterys while I huff my gas!! get a grip!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

We also have a leaf that my wife loves. I think it is interesting and for comuting everyone should have one. That being said nothing will replace the feeling of driving my Datsun. Our leaf has NO brake or steering feedback. There is a place for both of them.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Fascinating conversation. It mimics chats with guys in our local British car club, which isn't too surprising I suppose.

Both groups, there and here, exist for the purpose of making connections and finding support for our ancient, gas-guzzling, inefficient, but dearly beloved OLD cars. And yet a significant number of people in both groups have also embraced the very newest, carbon-saving, highly efficient, cutting-edge NEW cars.

Schizophrenic or what? :?

Is it simply that we're "car guys," and love the best of the new AND the old, appreciating the merits of radically different approaches?

Or is there a part of us that "gets it" that the environment is a problem, carbon needs to be cut, and everyone needs to do their bit-- and so, in response, we make a move to offset the "bad" of our old machinery with the "good" of the new? (I know that's definitely part of it for me!)
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

There is this thing also.
https://youtu.be/eT7KKxoAvvk
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I like Datsuns because they are fuel efficient. My wife gets mad that our Leaf gives me "trees" (dash lights that show you have saved trees by driving green or something like that) when I drive the Leaf like I stole it, no traction control and rip it thought the corners. It does push like a bitch that's for sure.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

icehouse wrote:I drive the Leaf like I stole it, no traction control and rip it thought the corners. It does push like a bitch that's for sure.
Ours has 23000k on it and the front tires are down to the wear bars. How's yours eating the tires?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

All gas is going to get used. Period. Save it? for what??? Every gallon saved today will simply be re-priced and used tomorrow by the rich who can afford it, while we have to take the bus. Every gallon I put in my car is liquid fun to be enjoyed without guilt. The future can have their hydrogen, electric or fusion powered carts just as the past had steam and before that horses. When I go I don't want any regrets like "I wish I had drove my Datsun more and not saved so much gas"