Variable compression engines

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Byron510

Variable compression engines

Post by Byron510 »

Now this isn;t a new concept, Nissan and Saab have put a lot of investment into various systems in the past;

But for the technically minded, check this out. It's worth the 10 minutes if you like technology. The engine has the ability to chnge it's C:R 11 point, in other words range from 7:1-18:1 and change that full range in 40 milliseconds. This could mean an engine like this could run, with direct injection, on any fuel type from gas to petrol to diesel....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DdM2VbbdtB4

Then think about it, mix the above with variable valve train using cam-less valve train technology that the Swede's have developed and the sky is the limit - very cool.

Click on the 9 minute video here - http://www.freevalve.com/

Neat stuff happening in the world of the internal combustion engine. And think of the number of cities that just passes the no diesel engines by 2030, it'll be interesting times in the near future for sure. The Ole L series is looking well aged!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
JordanTr

Re: Variable compression engines

Post by JordanTr »

I saw this a few weeks ago. Very cool!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

More complexity to an already overly complex system. Electric is so much better. Yesterday Tesla released another firmware upgrade for the performance model S now 0-60 in 2.4 seconds and seats 7 with a 100k 8 year warranty on the drive train. The combustion engine has seen its hay day.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

but how much fun would a L series be with say a constant variable solenoid valvetrain? no cam, no timing chain, no fluttering rockers. just valves opening at the right time for the right duration at every rpm.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I agree that there are options - I don't deny that. I have agreed with you before that I would love to try an electric motor car.

But realistically and in reality, if we all went 100% green, parked our petrol cars today and bought a full electric car each- there wouldn't be close to enough power available to charge half of them... that's the issue and that's the reality. Even if Trump fired up all the shut down coal plants in the US and reinstated every hydro dam slated to be closed, and ever gas well started making power - we'd still be way short. Funny thing is that we'd be burning all that oil left in the Texas/Louisiana Gulf and all the Alberta tar sands (which the US claims as theirs) in engines to produce power to run those electric cars - kind akin to using the current 1000 gallons of petrol fuel to farm enough corn to make 500 gallons of ethanol.....

There are places like here in BC where we could generate enough hydro power to sustain electric cars if we were to stop exporting power to the US or Alberta. But there are precious few places in North America with that kind of reserve in place or even potentially in place for the future. The model current doesn't work. but that's a different discussion for a different forum.....

Back on base - back the the engines; I just thought the technology development was very interesting and cool.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Alternative power is another topic, my point is they missed the boat on this engine. Although a cleaver design it will never make production in an mass produced vehicle.

You really need to ride in a Model S, all cars feel like a Datsun afterwards.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Byron510 wrote:I agree that there are options - I don't deny that. I have agreed with you before that I would love to try an electric motor car.

But realistically and in reality, if we all went 100% green, parked our petrol cars today and bought a full electric car each- there wouldn't be close to enough power available to charge half of them... that's the issue and that's the reality. Even if Trump fired up all the shut down coal plants in the US and reinstated every hydro dam slated to be closed, and ever gas well started making power - we'd still be way short. Funny thing is that we'd be burning all that oil left in the Texas/Louisiana Gulf and all the Alberta tar sands (which the US claims as theirs) in engines to produce power to run those electric cars - kind akin to using the current 1000 gallons of petrol fuel to farm enough corn to make 500 gallons of ethanol.....

There are places like here in BC where we could generate enough hydro power to sustain electric cars if we were to stop exporting power to the US or Alberta. But there are precious few places in North America with that kind of reserve in place or even potentially in place for the future. The model current doesn't work. but that's a different discussion for a different forum.....

Back on base - back the the engines; I just thought the technology development was very interesting and cool.

Byron
Nuclear Power!!! that makes 1300 megawatts that will power a million homes and that's a single reactor.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
510rob

Post by 510rob »

consider the energy density of various [fuel sources + their necessary support systems].

nuclear requires too much support equipment to be portable, but it remains an excellent source for recharging electric batteries.

electric batteries are heavy and have a limited capacity for energy storage.

liquid hydrocarbon fuels, like it or not, have the best energy density of any known source of portable energy thusfar.

I'm guessing that there will be sustained development of electric city cars with short to medium distance range, but that long distance travel will remain hydrocarbon based for quite a while...

ballad is developing fuel cells and westport are developing CNG for diesel conversion and there is hydrogen, but all of these are lower energy density, which makes them limited in certain ways.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Telsa model S has a range of over 300 miles, and can charge to 80% in 1/2 hour or so at a fast charge station. The Roadster has a factory upgrade kit, since battery technology has gotten so much better since it came out that moves it's range over 400 miles per charge. Those cars are just a look into the future really. Like when I was a kid. We played slug bug with the legit air cooled bugs, your arm would be sore after one car ride. Now you never see them. Same thing will happen with combustion cars.

I'm not a fan of Nuclear. The most expensive way to produce electricity.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

icehouse wrote: You really need to ride in a Model S, all cars feel like a Datsun afterwards.

I wish new cars felt more like my datsuns if they did I wouldn't be driving my 510 in the snow. :mrgreen:

I would rather have a gm evo1 or Herman Anderson's Cavalier than a samsung
ImageImageImage

its too bad the patents on nickel–iron batteries are owned by Chevron. come on graphene supper conductors to the rescue!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

haha good old media that got Trump elected coming to the rescue! Yes they burn but not quite as good as gas cars which is over 3 times more likely to catch on fire. Also the Tesla notifies the occupants that there is an issue with the car and pull over ASAP before bursting into flames unlike gas cars. Which is kinda funny. The last car in your pics is in Tesla's storage in Bellevue, my brother works for them and says the interior is still flawless.

The Leaf's battery is 1/2 the energy density as the Tesla battery, it doesn't burn like the Telsa battery. We have a Leaf and I wish they would have used the Tesla style battery more range would be so nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz37WycW-7E

Nickel-iron? That was the batteries of the 00's cars like the Prius, it used Nickel batteries, energy density sucks compared to Lithium and the voltage sage is crazy bad. Lithium is way better.

There are still some EV1's out there.

I like this picture of an oil refinery.

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I like this one of trees :P

one day the sun will swallow the earth lets stop it now before its too late :lol:

but really with the amount of datsuns Ive restored im carbon neutral no matter how many tire spins :mrgreen:
34mpg, invested $2500 put in some time and its appreciating not depreciating.

im just frustrated with auto manufactures. they pump out over priced disposable junk, with unresponsive vague disconnected feel. that kills you as it off gasses and becomes more brittle with every mile. how do they manage to make a car crashy and wallowy at the same time ? 40 windshield claims the other day from snow falling off bridges? the alex fraser bridge has been around since 1986 ...... windshield thickness ? .....new cars are junk.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

RMS wrote:new cars are junk.

agreed! Thus why I daily my Datsuns.
BrandonS
Supporter

Post by BrandonS »

I love driving older cars, but when it comes to an accident I'd definitely rather be in a new one (batteries or not). I think the '59 Bel Air vs the '09 Malibu crash the NTSB did proves that point pretty well. Even though it was slightly set up to prove a point IMO. They did an offset head on with an X framed car... but that's most head on crashes and that was the technology used back then so I suppose it's not unfair.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote:Telsa model S has a range of over 300 miles, and can charge to 80% in 1/2 hour or so at a fast charge station. The Roadster has a factory upgrade kit, since battery technology has gotten so much better since it came out that moves it's range over 400 miles per charge. Those cars are just a look into the future really. Like when I was a kid. We played slug bug with the legit air cooled bugs, your arm would be sore after one car ride. Now you never see them. Same thing will happen with combustion cars.

I'm not a fan of Nuclear. The most expensive way to produce electricity.
Recently watched an episode of "How Its Made Super Cars on the Tesla S". You realize the size of the battery? it weighs some 1200lbs and occupies pretty much the entire under carriage except for front and rear suspension areas. Yeah lots of people aren't fans of Nuclear which is cool but don't go "No Nukes" instead "Know Nukes" I work at one in NH and it is the #1 best ran Plant in the Nation I love working here, it's safe and reliable. Expensive yeah maybe but the town our Plant is in has the lowest property tax in Southern NH because of the Plant and I like that.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon