No worries. Post here to your hearts content
510rob

Red Barchetta

Post by 510rob »

two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: Red Barchetta

Post by two_68_510s »

Fantastic, this is what this forum is all about! Thanks Rob.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
gooned

Post by gooned »

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
Before the Motor Law.
And on Sundays I elude the Eyes,
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire,
Where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car.
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better, vanished time.
I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...

Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge...

Well-weathered leather,
Hot metal and oil,
The scented country air.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.

Suddenly ahead of me,
Across the mountainside,
A gleaming alloy air-car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.
I spin around with shrieking tires,
To run the deadly race,
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase.

Drive like the wind,
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan.
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.
Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Any body remember that story I wrote back in the 90's about a similar thing, our 510's in the future. I forgot about that one, it was on a disc which has long been lost.

I'm going to go through my back issues and find that! We may find that prophetic in some ways. I'm on a mission!

I do remember some thought I was on some sort of drug when I wrote it, we will see.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Keith, I certainly remember the story, you put a lot of work in that one and members of the club then talked about it for a long time.
If you find the issue, figure out who was the club editor at the time, the story may still exist on a hard drive somewhere.

Rob, thanks for posting. That was an enjoyable read - mostly because I too was a huge Rush fan, and as a kid/teen I was wearing out that Moving Pictures album myself on my own record player.

Jason, thanks for posting the lyrics. The story certainly means more now that you read it full length.

Thanks guys for your contributions, and BTW; Keith - you are the one that owns the Red Barchetta!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World & Byron,

I have all my newsletter copies downstairs now, plus, Bob Davies gave me all of his. I know I have the newsletter with that story in it, so I will find it and re-type it..just because. I have slowly been getting all my stories into digital format and then printing a copy also.

Funny, I took Betty with me on my test drive yesterday down 99, then back 91 and remarked at how small my car is compared to today's monsters..a Ford 510 door sill seemed to be at my window height, scary stuff.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

What is everyones' opinion of what the MSV (Modern Safety Vehicle) is? Minivan? Workvan? SUV? 1-ton diesel pickup? 4-door V6 sedan? highway tractor?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I dunno..from what I see out there in my driving...from a crash standpoint...is that crashes still happen and as I have seen lately, when the speed is up there and the car is torn to shreds...moot point. Yes, all the airbags have helped, but, the driver is still the issue. Horrendous crash the other day again on 176th at 32nd. SUV goes full speed into back of stopped trailer truck...what was the driver doing???????????? Killed himself as the trailer deck was back into the passenger compartment...yup..the air bags went off......

We still have such a variety of vehicle size...does physics come into play regardless? Traction control....how many vehicles spun out during that last rain event....LOTS! I turn the traction control OFF in my G35 as it is dangerous in some situations.

Did I answer your question, I doubt it, but, no matter what, as people buy any of this stuff, what reliance are they putting on this so called safety stuff to keep them from crashing, I suspected that with ABS when it first came out. Look at the MULTI vehicle crashes now...we used to say there was a rear-ender...now, as the other day on the upper levels...8 cars...the first guy got it right...the other 7......

Friggin' dealers need to say to people..not that they would get it...that the laws of physics will always apply and that your "magic MSV" may not save you if you really F*#K up!

While I'm on a tear here..we are selling people on technology that is supposedly to save them from stupid moves. A commercial that drives me crazy is the guy that backs up at warp velocity out of the campsite..between two parked motor homes and his wonderful back up sensor stops him from going out onto the secondary road which has a semi barreling along on it.

A) what the hell are you doing going that fast in a campsite
B) would your wonderful sensor have seen the 3 year old kid running out from behind the motor home
C) would your sensor tell you to re-calibrate because you just killed said 3 year old.

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

so then, no answer yet...

Nissan Armada? :P
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

there is no MSV, new cars are junk. new cars are filled with driver aids that lull operators into a false sense of security and bolster the idea that they have control and more skill than they posses. I feel my little 50 year old "grocery getter" is safer, not because it will withstand an impact but because it wont. when im in a 510 I try to be ultra aware of my surroundings, watching my mirrors, looking for escapes and the fuzz. stock brakes keeps me at least 4seconds away from the car in front. stock lights keep me scanning for unseen hazards. best of all the analog connection between meat and metal provides me with the best connection to the road and conditions. they say it takes 20 years for developments made on the track to reach the streets. FIA banned electronic driver aids back in the 90s with the fw15. I think its well past time to take those aids off the streets as well.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510rob wrote: 08 Oct 2018 18:12 so then, no answer yet...

Nissan Armada? :P
My impressions of my Nissan Armada(s) don't really fit the MSV in the story. Yes, -its a tank at 6500 lbs, and it does hold 8 people. It also gives my 510 a run for it's money in a straight line, but I admit it doesn't shed that speed very well - 4 wheel discs or not! It does have 4 wheel independent suspension and an automatic AWD system that kicks in so seamlessly and quick - the thing will never spin a tire on the wettest of pavement.

Is it safe - not likely for anyone else around it. The bumpers are high, and made of thick steel. Although it was proved on my last one that the frame will fold when rear ended hard enough. I'm just thankful no one was in it when the grey one got rear ended in front of my place last year. The black one that replaced it two weeks later hasn't proved to be in quite as good shape - but that's not the trucks fault - just lack of maintenance and care by PO's.

So in concept, I'd say the Armada is not the MSV spoken of in Richards Fosters story - I guess were not there yet.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.