Bike rides

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

Bike rides

Post by bertvorgon »

At the beginning of the 510 club, there was a core group that also hiked together, for many a fun trip into the wilderness. We called this a 510 club EVENT!
Now, I have a few members who are mountain biking with us. I thought I would just throw this up, and out, as an invitation to anyone else from the club who would like to ride.
The vibe is pretty low key, with a good mix of rider skills. No big egos, but, a sense of humour is important...we like to have fun! Trails are moderate cross-country, with some technical stuff thrown in. We usually ride the Watershed in Delta, Stokes Pit south of Langley, and, the South Surrey Bike Park, on Wednesday night at 7:00 PM. Weekend locations vary, depending on. I will post location here, before each wednesday, or weekend potential ride.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
supersportsedan
Supporter

RE: Bike rides

Post by supersportsedan »

Yes, always a good time, and good company! I've got the wagon running now so I'll be coming out as much as I can, pending any predispositions... which hardly EVER happens, right Keith?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I cruised around the beach looking for you, figured a barbecue before the ride would be OK!!! Next time, let me know EXACTLY, where you will be. I like chicken, Sleemans, and chocolate cake. We should eat at 5:00, that gives us time to get ready for the 7:00 ride.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Yup I've been out a number of times (in a row!) now and it's been nothing but a whole lot of fun! And thats even with a few hitting of tree incidents! Thanks to Keith for inviting us all out, I know I've had tons of fun!
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

As well, I have started hiking the local mountains around this end of the valley if anyone is interested. I do this as I don't own a bike.

The days and times vary a bit, but usually are around the 2-4 hour variety and are no worse than Grouse Grind. Should be up somewhere high this weekend if anyone's interested.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Richard,
There is an old gold mine that I took the original 510 gang up to, in your area. It is usually an all day thing. Matt and I have been planning to go up there while we still have the long days. You would be welcome to come when we go, or anybody else for that matter. It's a bit of a grind, but, definately worth the effort, and you get to see an old mine.

Keith Law
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Good Afternoon,
What hike/mine is it? where abouts does it start? I'm curious as to which hike it is.

On Monday I did a 5 hour one that was quite a hoof up Mount Cheam, but I did get to see the ocean!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It is very hard to describe where it is. You really have to know the trail, and a hidden trail to get to the second level of the mine. What is everybody doing on the August long weekend? Want to do a killer hike? Start at the crack of dawn, spend the whole day at 6,000 Ft? Glaciers all around, explore tunnels? Adventure time folks! Sign up now! I'm game.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow, no adventurers in this crowd!

Wednesday night ride is at the Watershed, same time, same place. Going to be hot, so make sure your well hydrated ALL day.

Keith Law
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Paul I hope you make it out! No more spoke busted excuses alright!
Turn7

Post by Turn7 »

BV wrote "Wow, no adventurers in this crowd! "

Hey..I just got back from vacation.

I'm in for the Gold Mine

Also, I'm in for the Watershed this Wednesday.

I'm also in for any future Coquitlam/Burnaby/IOCO rides that we can make happen.
rnorrish

Re: RE: Bike rides

Post by rnorrish »

bertvorgon wrote:It is very hard to describe where it is. You really have to know the trail, and a hidden trail to get to the second level of the mine. What is everybody doing on the August long weekend? Want to do a killer hike? Start at the crack of dawn, spend the whole day at 6,000 Ft? Glaciers all around, explore tunnels? Adventure time folks! Sign up now! I'm game.
That's this weekend, right? I'll be in Portland. Any other weekend and I'd be there.
richard norrish
Mike

RE: Re: RE: Bike rides

Post by Mike »

Hey Richard. How's it going?

Karen and I are thinking of doing the Mt Cheam hike soon. How was your experience doing it?

Also what are peoples times for doing the Grouse Grind?
I did it a couple of weeks back and did 49 minutes.
Thanks
Mike
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Fast time on Grind is 29 minutes. Matt has done it in 45, and that was before he is in the shape he is in now. Your in the zone Mike.
Ok, so some people are busy this weekend, your off the hook. Now, how many are serious about going to the mine? We can plan this down the road, or....
Re: bike ride this weekend, who would like to go do some cross country in Whistler this weekend, likely Sunday? Or, would a mine hike be good. I see Brent would be in. It would be nice to have a couple of people more. This is NOT Stanley Park, and it is nice to have a bit of a group to go on this one...just in case.

Keith Law
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I might be into a bike ride in whistler Keith. How does it compare to Watershed? Will my "old skool" brakes be up to snuff?