UBCSCC Autocross School and Practice Autocross.

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
jason
Supporter

UBCSCC Autocross School and Practice Autocross.

Post by jason »

UBC Sports Car Club is holding a autocross driving school on Saturday, September 23 at Boundary Bay. It's a closed club event so you have to join the UBCSCC to attend. They've also got a practice autocross the next day Sunday Sep 24, same place.

Club Membership $20
Autocross School $44 (with online discount)
Practice Autocross $20 (with online discount)
School & Practice $52 (with online discount)

Online registration information at link as follows:

http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=214&BT=10#Ev3742

For more information contact Carson Au at cau@sfu.ca.

I've signed up for the autocross school, anyone else?
Jason
jason
Supporter

RE: UBCSCC Autocross School and Practice Autocross.

Post by jason »

Carson tells me that they currently have 12 people signed up for the school with a maximum of 40 spaces available. UBC has clubs day this week so they are expecting a surge this week. If you're intereted, sign up online for the club membership and school he says.
Jason
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I might be there for the sunday club event driving a friends car.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

So a quick review for the locals who might be interested the next time UBC runs the school. They're pretty casual, friendly and relaxed about things there. Pre register and pay online, you can show up at about 8:30am and claim some pit space. Sign waiver, sign paperwork and wait for about 9:30am when they break you up into class groups.

There where 30 of us and 8 instructors. They broke us down into 4 groups, 7-8 students (with own cars) and 2 instructors per group, one for each element they planned to teach us. They lined us up for the slalom, offset gates, sweepers and a g circle and each student ran the elements multiple times, first time with an instructor, then alone, and then with an instructor again to give you pointers and tips before you ran the element alone again. Great fun, good instruction, lots of runs for each element!

Break 1 hour for lunch and in the afternoon, they reset the 4 elements into a full auto cross course and split us students into 2 run groups, either working the course or running. They sent us out and at this point you could ask for an instructor to ride with you or run alone. I ran myself the first 2 runs and then Mitch, my instructor came over and went out for a run with me and gave me some pointers and help going through the course. We got 6 runs in during the afternoon, great stuff, finished close to 5pm in the afternoon.

Personally, an observation I made was to work the course before running if possible. It gives you a chance to watch the other people run the course and watch for where they are making mistakes and seeing how they get set for the different parts of the course. It also let me wake up some!

I'd sure recommend this for people interested in running auto cross here locally. I understand that the other group offering courses locally is about $20 more and more or less goes through the same stuff. I'd like to thank the UBCSCC for organizing a fun and educational event! As a side note my 1972 Datsun 510 was probably the oldest car there by at least 20 years :-)!
Jason
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Something to help out with car classifications with Solo (autocross). Hope this helps somebody besides me!

SOLO 2 CLASSIFICATIONS (S) STOCK TO STREET MODIFIED 2 (SM2)
Stock
As a rough guide, if your car has modifications beyond this list it is not eligible for Stock Category:
· Anything available on the exact model and year of your car as standard or optional equipment, as installed on the factory assembly line (nothing available only dealer-installed is allowed), plus
· Standard OEM identical replacement parts
· Accessories, gauges, appearance, comfort, and convenience items (not replacement driver's seat, though) that basically don't help
· Added roll bar or roll cage to spec (not required, though)
· Driver harness (no cutting seats to install, though)
· Trailer hitch and/or tow bar mountings
· Any wheel of diameter and width identical to a stock or factory optional wheel, offset within +- 0.25 inch
· Most street legal tires that will fit the mounted wheels and stock bodywork
· Any shock absorber of the same type and mounting as original; no change to standard spring mountings is allowed; suspension geometry may not be altered; gas or hydraulic shocks are permitted
· Any brake linings; pre-1992 cars may use solid/braided metal brake lines.
· Any front anti-roll bar (no change to stock/optional rear anti-roll bar, if present)
· Manufacturer specified ignition settings only
· Any replacement air filter element (or removal of air filter element); no plumbing changes, however
· Engine bored no more than .020"; no balancing or porting/polishing of head
· Replacement of any part of the exhaust system past the catalytic converter (if quiet)
· Any oil filter
· Added clutch scattershield
Street Touring - S
If your car is a normally aspirated sedan (four seats, four factory seatbelts, not sports-car derived) of 3.1 Liters or less, or one of a few small turbocharged cars specified in the rules, and perhaps prepared further than allowed in Stock Category, it may be eligible for one of the Street Touring Classes. Street Touring - S is an SCCA National class, but Street Touring-R is an optional Regional only class. Street Touring allows anything allowed in Stock, plus (roughly) these modifications:
· Any shocks, struts, and springs, using original attachment points
· Any sway bars
· Any wheels up to 7.5" in width that fit over stock brakes
· Tires up to and including a width of 225, with a treadwear rating of 140 or greater.
· Strut bars/braces as allowed in Street Prepared.
· Exhaust system downstream of catalytic converter(s)
· Short throw shift kits
· Spoilers, body kits, rear wings, etc.
· Pedal kits and other interior cosmetic accessories
· Alternate brakes pads and linings
· Any fully padded and upholstered front seats with reclining seat backs
· Removal of factory trim (rub strips, emblems)
· Alternate steering wheels of any diameter, otherwise meeting Stock rules
· Cross drilled and/or slotted brake rotors
· Alternate air cleaner enclosures
· No limited slip differentials except factory viscous coupler type units
· Stock brake calipers/drums
· Fenders may not be cut or flared (but specific modifications for tires OK)
· Emission-legal headers
· Emission legal modifications to Engine management system, either electronic or mehanical, but not both.
· Engine and transmission must remain unmodified, including emissions equipment
Street Touring - 2
This is a regional class implemented in San Francisco and other places, not a National class. Same limitations as Street Touring - S, but generally allows 2-seater sports cars cars and 2 + 2 sports-car derivatives.
Street Touring - X
Same limitations as Street Touring - S, but generally allows cars up to 5 liters or 2 liters turbo- or supercharged, with Limited Slip Differential, and certain other extensions.
Street Touring - U
Same limitations as Street Touring - X, but generally allows cars of unlimited displacement , or up to 3.1 liters turbo- or supercharged, with unrestricted wheel width, tire width up to 275 (RWD) or 245 (AWD), .
Street Modified
Street Modified is a pretty free-for-all class that is a full National class since 2002. For streetable sedans, expands eligible vehicles and modifications above Street Touring, above Steet Prepared, and perhaps even above Prepared category.
· All Street Prepared modifications are allowed, plus
· Unrestricted modification of engine, drive train, and suspension, and some other modifications, as long as the car uses highway fuels.
Street Modified 2
Street Modified 2 is a new optional Regional class beginning in 2002. It has similar rules to SM, but allows 2-seater cars, and cars too light or small to qualify for SM.
Jason