SCCA NATIONAL RUNOFFS 2006

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
bertvorgon
Supporter

SCCA NATIONAL RUNOFFS 2006

Post by bertvorgon »

The Specialty Engineering team has gone to the SCCA Runoffs this year, at Topeka, Kansas, running on the new HEARTLAND Park 2.5 mile road course.
First day of practice had Collin Jackson beark the track record, but, it pointed out that the fast guys had not been here yet. First run out, even after all of Andy's meticulous preperation, had Collin's drive shaft break!

First day of qualifying has Collin on the pole, with Dave Huphrey's not far behind, in 5th. Collin has a 1.428 second advantge over second. Weather heading into Saturdays race looks iffy, which is quite ironic, since Mid-Ohio was known for bad weather, and Kansas'...well!

Will keep you updated as news comes in.

Keith
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
S15DET
Supporter

RE: SCCA NATIONAL RUNOFFS 2006

Post by S15DET »

What is their class and car number? The SCCA web site has live updates of results.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I found his name, car number 53, I guess GT3 class?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

October 10;

Collin is number 53, Dave is 73., and yes, GT-3.

Exciting day today for a number of things. Goodyear was on some sort of strike, and the guys tires were delayed. They should have arrived today. Dave got punted off the track, car ok, but was put back a bit as the session was black flagged. The cell phone connection was bad, but, I think that the qualifying session had a stupidly slow group in there, the speed differential was huge. From the times I saw 10 seconds a lap! Then, Collin's battery died, turns out his charger was faulty ( this SAME thing happened at Mid-Ohio last time). Much kaffufle getting things sorted out, then a temp sensor died. Remember the sacrifices to the GOD of Speed? The weather was cold and rainy too. Qualifying today put Collin in second, with John Saurino in first, with almost a total time reversal from yesterday. Dave was in 7th due to having to start from the back. Hopefully the tires arrived, and the guys will be on FRESH tires, as the weather is supposed to improve a bit.

Attached are some pictures of Collin and Dave's cars, at ThunderHill and Portland. These cars were totally fabricated at the Specialty Engineering shop, in New westminster, B.C., by Andy & Tracey Pearson.
Attachments
COLLIN AT THUNDERHILL (Small).jpg
COLLIN'S CAR (Small).jpg
DAVE'S CAR (Small).jpg
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Looking foward to having someone to root on in the GT3 class when it airs on speed tv. Anybody heard anything about the 510's in G-Prod? Its my favorite race to watch from the runoffs (well that and formula Vee). Hoping for some more national chanpionships for the Nissan/Datsun folk.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

There are 6 510's, 1 210, and 1 311 in G-Prod this year. So far, two 510's are on the provisional pole! The weather is slated for sunny but cool on Thursday, so that may let the wicks get turned up. The grids are fairly big this year, with at least 27 cars for G-PROD. I love all the races, and are to be shown in November or early December on SPEED ( finally some stuff worth watching)

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

October 11th.

Day Three in qualifying has Collin turning up the wick again, turning a blistering 1:45:994, and maintaining his provisional pole position. Hot behind him is John Saurino, at 1:46:190. Going to be a barn burner. Dave is back in 8th, at 1:48:687. Have not heard from Tracey as to what has actually gone on. I'm assuming that they will play out their usual tire strategy. Weather was good today, with a dry track.

And, we still have two 510's on the pole, in G-Production

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

October 12th

Talked to Tracey today, things going well. Collin retained the pole in final qualifying, Dave has moved up to 5th, and will rapidly gain ground after that. Tires arrived, so that issue is resolved.

Race is at 10:55 on Saturday. The live timing can be watched on the SCCA website, for anyone interested.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

SPECIALTY ENGINEERING AND THE FLYING CANUCKS DO IT AGAIN!

Collin Jackson placed 1st and Dave Humphreys was 3rd. Collin led from start to finish! At the end of the race, Collin had 16.676 seconds on second place, a sound beating to the second place finisher, on his home track! What else can I say...yeeehaaaa!

I have attached the lap notes from the live timing from SCCA. That was so neat to be able to "watch" the race on the live lap times, felt like I was there.

Sorry that is so small, I could not figure out how to get it readable.
Attachments
SCCA 2006 live lap notes from GT-3 race
SCCA 2006 live lap notes from GT-3 race

Keith Law
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Thats awsome,just awsome.Keith ,do you know if they are going to repete the race .I missed it ???
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Races are usually televised on SPEED, at the end of November and early December. In 2003, the GT-3 race was shown in early December, I have it on tape somewhere.

Greg, when you get some time, could you really explain to me how you copied the 8MM tapes to DVD, etc. Myself and another fellow want to get all of our stuff done, and are prepared to maybe get the stuff we need to do it ourselves. If we do no do it soon, it is going to be too monumental a project. i am thinking of buying one of those VHS to CD players, to copy my tapes. Any recomendations?

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

just got a funny quote from another race friend who watched the race.

At lap 6-8, Collin turned up the wick and put on the CANADIAN version of: "The How to Drive Clinic!"

Thats exactly what happened, I think the Specialty tire strategy wins again. Collin pretty much kept the race pace up...THE WHOLE RACE!

Keith Law
Rehs

Post by Rehs »

Man, I heard they tore down Collin's engine and were gonna DQ him for his custom 34mm chokes being ovaled due to heat warpage and measuring more than 34mm wide. I mean they're still 34mm chokes. Why can't they just accept there defeat and leave that beautiful KA24 alone. It's not like it was the car that beat them. Isn't Dave's car the same as Collin's?

Congrats to the both of them!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Dave's is exactly the same as Collin's.

Andy's motors are as legal as the day is long. They have run into that before, our American brothers to the south don't like getting beat. You would not beleive what has gone on at some of the races down there. I won't say any more, or I will get myself into trouble, but, they were beaten by a superior driver and chassis combo. PERIOD!

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Tech tear down was fine, and all results stand!

Keith Law